DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PGY Tech ND Filters (Ebay)

Mako79

Reactions
Last edited:
Reactions: MavicProMX
..just ordered one, crossing my fingers that it will arrive mid-December for my vacation trip.. anyhow,not having a chance to really test the Mavic's limit yet..

Same here, just ordered. I did email them before I ordered to verify they came with some type of case, got an immediate response that a case is included.

I'll be interested to see how these perform. Coming from a photography background I know that cheap ND filters can destroy image quality

I'll be interested to see how these perform. Coming from a photography background I know that cheap ND filters can destroy image quality
Yeah.. im curious what this German SCHOTT B270 Glass is...

The PGY ND filters and red decals arrived a moment ago (not the taco decals).
Good news - can fire up attached to gimbal with NO gimbal overload warnings.
I will testing it a little later when the firmware is up to date.

PGY%20ND%20filter%20Case.jpg

ND filter installed. Snug fit. (The decals are for easy orienteering, easy to spot, and slight scratch protection).
PGY%20ND%20Filter%20Installed.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
Have you tried the PGY? What's your opinion? Noticed any colour cast or decrease in sharpness?
Thanks!

The PGY ND filters and red decals arrived a moment ago (not the taco decals).
Good news - can fire up attached to gimbal with NO gimbal overload warnings.
I will testing it a little later when the firmware is up to date.

PGY%20ND%20filter%20Case.jpg

ND filter installed. Snug fit. (The decals are for easy orienteering, easy to spot, and slight scratch protection).
PGY%20ND%20Filter%20Installed.jpg

I got a set of 4 PGY filters and it does not matter how hard I press them in place they still do not clear the gimbal when they initialise. I have to remove them each time I power down / up the Mavic. Apart from that I'm pretty impressed with them.

here's a video comparison I did them them fitted

I got a set of 4 PGY filters and it does not matter how hard I press them in place they still do not clear the gimbal when they initialise. I have to remove them each time I power down / up the Mavic. Apart from that I'm pretty impressed with them.

Mine seem ok.
Firmware is the latest 1.3200
Worked fine on previous firmwares.
Maybe there are different tolerances or different batches made (mine were ordered on 27th Nov 2016).

On a side note:
With the filters installed, I noticed the yaw never hit maximum movement.

PGYTECH%20ND%20Filter%20installed.jpg

Hi,
Have you tried the PGY? What's your opinion? Noticed any colour cast or decrease in sharpness?
Thanks!

Its been a busy xmas new years and I haven't had the time to edit any footage. I've looked at a few footages and colour seems to be ok.
If you are deciding, have a squint at the TACO's. Everyone on this forum praises them as they are lighter and are not reporting any initialisation issues. I clicked the buy now button on the PGY's on the same day TACO release their filters =(.

Reactions: Phils
I just ordered the Taco's. I had ordered the PolarPro however got notice of a shipping delay of two more weeks so I did some more due diligence and cancelled. The need to install them after initializing the aircraft is a non starter for me. There may be nothing technically wrong with it however the fact that the gimbal initialization will fail (to me) indicates that it does not like something (weight or obstruction) which (IMHO) could be an operational issue. This is just my own opinion however important that you understand if the filters you buy are (transparent) to the Mavic or not. For me, to have to remove the filters each time I swap a battery was even more painful. I think the Polar Pro filters are an excellent product optically however I wonder if there will be any issues with the gimbal in the long run.

It is important to understand these differences as it is not that clear when you look between the products which can be left on and which have to be put on after initialization.

Last edited:
I have to return my pgy tech filters because they obstruct the gymbal at startup. I have seated them properly. Hopefully the replacements will work as advertised. Has anyone else had this issue with pgytech filters, is there variation in gymbal clearance in mavic production?

is there variation in gymbal clearance in mavic production?
It's possible since some people note this issue when using PolarPro filters too. I have no issues with either the PGYTECH or PolarPro filters.

PolarPro seems to have so many options. Which series are most people going with?

does anybody have the G-MRC CPL ?
is it a Circular PL ? - does it have a rota-table front lens ?
thinking of getting one for still shots with the Mavic Pro.

does anybody have the G-MRC CPL ?
is it a Circular PL ? - does it have a rota-table front lens ?
thinking of getting one for still shots with the Mavic Pro.
I have the full set. The MRC CPL does not appear to have a rotatable front lens but it does seem to rotate fairly easily on the gimbal itselt. The filter was a little difficult to get on right. I thought I had it on at first but the gimbal wouldn't initialize. After pushing quite a bit harder it slid on and everything works great. Have only used them a few times but so far they seem great.

thank you for your feedback tpop24, so it looks like it is not a real Circular PL, just a PL, Hmmmmm will have to think more about this one.

With a PL you need to look through it and rotate it before putting on the Mavic, then when the scene looks good put it on the Mavic, CPL's do not work that way.

If it does not have two glasses one rotates on the other then it should not be sold as a CPL, very misleading

thank you for your feedback tpop24, so it looks like it is not a real Circular PL, just a PL, Hmmmmm will have to think more about this one.

With a PL you need to look through it and rotate it before putting on the Mavic, then when the scene looks good put it on the Mavic, CPL's do not work that way.

If it does not have two glasses one rotates on the other then it should not be sold as a CPL, very misleading

Yep PGY's CPL does not have a rotating glass element. I don't think any filter for Mavic will be able to be real CPL, especially while passing the gimbal calibration. Either way, CPL or PL the problem is still the same - you need to adjust the filter's angle before take-off and are forced to leave it at that which makes it tricky to get right effect for the shot..

Phil

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000