DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone died while flying

rfc0001

Reactions
I had a fully charged iPhone 6s plus, which after 3 flights died mid-flight. For one, that's terrible battery life, so I don't know if DJI GO is to blame or my iPhone has issues. I'll definitely put it on Battery Mode next time to avoid background apps. Do folks fly in Airplane mode to disable cellular data being pulled constantly by DJI GO (for map data)? I see the other upside to this being less interference with the controller signal.

After this happened, I was luckily in line of sight, so just flew manually with the controller to run down the battery. However, since I didn't have a screen I couldn't cancel the RTH. I was <10 ft from home, so according to the manual it should have not gone up to RTH altitude at that distance, but was trying to. I was 5 ft off the ground, so pushed down on the controller to land, and it refused. It just hovered. And every time I let go of the controller, it tried to take off. I ended up switching from sport mode to standard, which for some reason allowed me to land it, but WTF happened? In retrospect, I should have pushed the Flight Pause button, which my have stopped RTH, but why were manual controls not overriding RTH and why did it try to gain altitude when it was literally <10 feet from home? Cornfused.

I was experiencing intermittent iPhone 6S severe battery drain/shutting down/restarting.

Turns out that Apple identified a batch of 6S units that have defective batteries. Click here to find out if yours was one of the identified units via serial number. It so, Apple will fix it for free.

I don't know why your Mavic responded that way, but I do know that I had the exact same battery issue with my 6s Plus. I had been over water only thirty seconds prior, then flew out over a field and with 60% battery remaining, DEAD. Lost contact, drone hovered then landed. I took it straight to my local Apple store where they looked at the serial and confirmed it is NOT in the recognized batch. However, they did a battery test and it didn't even complete it. Resolution? New phone, no questions asked. Done and so far so good with the DJI app. So, even if you don't see your serial # in the batch online, take it into your local Apple store. You'll get a free replacement or a very cheap one.

I had this with my 6+, 3 batteries from full and basically a dead phone (in the red) but I think it is because I have a 2+ year old phone, not sure. But I have switched to flying with my iPad Air2 and it will fly 4 full batteries and still have 60% battery.

You don't need the app to cancel RTH. I'm pretty sure toggling the mode switch will do it.

Reactions: rfc0001
You don't need the app to cancel RTH. I'm pretty sure toggling the mode switch will do it.

It did, but I only figured that out through dumb luck. Shouldn't RTH be cancelled if you manually take over the controls? Also, seems like he "smarts" in RTH are cancelled without the app (e.g. Not going to RTH height when less than x feet from home Point). Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Crenshaw
I Also have battery problems using my IPhone 6+. Ive had Two flights so far, And both times the IPhone died after about 24 minutes flight. I have turned off the video caching. Gonna try with an IPad Mini to see If it works better.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: rfc0001
Get rid of the I phone 6 for the Mavic. I had the exact same issue, upgraded to the 7 and now can fly 4 batteries back to back to back to back before my phone is below 30. I leave everything on except for putting it in do not disturb mode. I have now found my limiting factor is the controller.

Had to ditch my 6S after multiple shutdowns when battery actually was not low. It's an Apple problem. Got the 7 Plus, zero issues since.

- Sport Mode addict, ride the wind!

Reactions: RickL and rfc0001
Argh...I guess the excuse I need to upgrade

I have the same on my 6S plus - 3 mavic batteries from 100% down to 8-4% I always keep a close on it after seeing the drain ... What I also found when trying the mavic indoors that the phone gets quite hot in the top right quarter on the back looking at it from the front ...

Still have to try the iPad but I tend to believe it may be due to the connector not supporting charging and the phone potentially constantly trying to as per its connector specifications it well should charge ...

Another thing could be he data transfer in writing the video to the memory which may cause this to happen ... not sure but surely but impressed by this behaviour ... my battery is 100 fine - next potentially have a friend super genius at the apple look at some debugging while its connected ...

Had to ditch my 6S after multiple shutdowns when battery actually was not low. It's an Apple problem. Got the 7 Plus, zero issues since.

- Sport Mode addict, ride the wind!

So how many mavic batteries can you fly then efore reaching less than 10% iphone battery capacity?

What are the experiences with Android as it charges - when does the controller reach a worrying battery level?

Reactions: Landmix
Well this is crap considering apple sells dji Mavic in its own stores as an authorized iPhone compatible device.

I jumped on the dji support chat and requested an R&D escalation to query about the expected battery drain for an iPhone 6s plus charged to 100% flying the Mavic down to 20% battery and recording video .. they claim they will respond within 48 hours ... I guess they did some in depth tests to evaluate this to confirm that the recommended phones are actually fit for purpose as it doesn't make sense to recommend a phone that dies half way through a battery ... I actually think this information should be published so you can identify the best option for yourself...

I suggest others do the same to build up some pressure on DJI to release their findings ...

So which are the recommended phones?

Well recommended/compatible phones all just a matter of definition ...

I would think they may even recommend Android over iPhone as Android can be charged from the controller ... but I await their response ...

Reactions: Landmix
So how many mavic batteries can you fly then efore reaching less than 10% iphone battery capacity?

What are the experiences with Android as it charges - when does the controller reach a worrying battery level?

With my iPhone 7. I ran 4 batteries back to back with plenty of battery left to keep going. The controller had less battery than my phone. Just ordered two more batteries so next week I can for sure take a before and after reading. I wasn't really looking too much this weekend just knew to charge controller with the batteries

With my iPhone 7. I ran 4 batteries back to back with plenty of battery left to keep going. The controller had less battery than my phone. Just ordered two more batteries so next week I can for sure take a before and after reading. I wasn't really looking too much this weekend just knew to charge controller with the batteries

Hmm the 7 has a 1950mah battery and the 7 plus a 2900mah battery - my 6s plus has a 2750mah ...

I have to keep an eye on the controller battery, after 4 or 5 batteries I normally plug in the controller to a powerbank via the side USB port as it gets low.

Hmm the 7 has a 1950mah battery and the 7 plus a 2900mah battery - my 6s plus has a 2750mah ...

I don't know the specs of the batteries lol. I just know from first hand experience the two iPhone 6s's I had sucked, and the 7 I have now works fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus