DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photo center off color

Romi

Reactions
LRM_EXPORT_20161130_161927.jpg Anyone have a clue why my stills would do this? Shot 51 pictures and they're all off color in the center.

Do you see similar with video? I assume from the downward shot you aren't leaving the gimbal dome on.

To me it looks like there may be some anti-vignette lens correction going on, and it's too strong, leading to the effect you have. In carefully controlled conditions you could calculate the amount of error and mostly/invisibly correct for it in a photo editor.

Halley, my video does not have this issue and I fly domeless.
I've been playing with the pics in "Lightroom" which is really where I realized that all the photos were this way. In some of the pics I was able to correct it a bit but not completely. I was hoping to identify what I did wrong to avoid this in future flights.
When you say anti-vignette are you referring to a controller setting?

Romi, you're not alone - mine has the same strange "hot zone" color cast right in the center of most images (it's subtle and not as noticeable in others). Almost as if the saturation and warmth is turned up right in the middle. It's not chromatic aberration or vignetting as far as I'm aware.

Using Lightroom CC 2015.7, the only lens correction I've got set is the "built in profile" that can't be removed. Downloaded a trial of C1Pro and got the same results. Firmware on the bird is up to date, I shoot in raw, no profiles, never fly with the dome on.. and I've used the new Go 4 app and the old version (iOS), this issue shows up in both. Haven't shot much video yet so can't comment on it showing up there or not.

Notably, the Mavic I'm flying now is a return/refurb from DJI (I had to send my first one back for the lens misalignment issue on the left, now this one is blurry in the lower right, sigh...) the first one did the same thing as well. It's baffling. If anyone else has this happening or has any pointers, I'm all ears.

0168-0013-2.jpg
0168-0013.jpg
0168-0013-3.jpg

Thanks for posting @joeltd . I can say for sure that the 20 minute video I took a week earlier does not have this issue.
I wonder if shooting "raw" has anything to do with it?
I've been waiting for the wind to slow down here so I could try some other settings.

Yep noticed exactly the same on DNGs processed with lightroom. Not on video, and I didn't shoot RAW+JPEG so can't compare, I'll try to do so next time.

I've used the adjustment brush with a single click of a huge brush in the middle and a tint adjsutment to make it more uniform, then do a global correction to get it "right".

It seems to be less of a problem when applying the DJI FC350 profile in LR, but then I don't have any really good samples like yours of the roof to try on.

Reactions: Romi
I am seeing this issue only in photos as well on my Mavic Pro. I plan on doing more testing this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Romi
@joeltd take a look at the targeted adjustment portion of the following information. This doesn't help with why it happened but it does help fix it.
Color Adjustment tool in Lightroom for mobile | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC tutorials

yessir - thanks @Romi, I've used the targeted HSL tool on some, and have also had really good results dropping a radial filter dead center and making a bit of tint/temp adjustments [Radial Filter]. -20 Temp -50 Tint seems to normalize most of mine. Will be sending my bird back to DJI again for the focus issue next week, but may be able to get in a flight tomorrow to shoot some test jpg's.

Last edited:
Reactions: mnobes.12 and Romi
yessir - thanks @Romi, I've used the targeted HSL tool on some, and have also had really good results dropping a radial filter dead center and making a bit of tint/temp adjustments [Radial Filter]. Will be sending my bird back to DJI again for the focus issue next week, but may be able to get in a flight tomorrow to shoot some test jpg's.
Yes this works well - and you can save it as "Mavic pink spot" preset or whatever ;)
I hadn't noticed it in more varied landscape shots but definitely there in RAW (only)
This suggests the JPG onboard processing removes it using a similar circular filter method.

Reactions: VoxUltrasonic
Yes this works well - and you can save it as "Mavic pink spot" preset or whatever ;)
I hadn't noticed it in more varied landscape shots but definitely there in RAW (only)
This suggests the JPG onboard processing removes it using a similar circular filter method.

@4wd - Thumbswayup presets FTW. Thanks for the reminder!

Sharing via dropbox for those that might want a quick preset for LR:

Mavic Pro Hot Zone Fix.lrtemplate (via dropbox/updated)

Adds a radial filter with [-20 Temp/-50 Tint] in the center, you may need to adjust or tweak to taste

Last edited:
yessir - thanks @Romi, I've used the targeted HSL tool on some, and have also had really good results dropping a radial filter dead center and making a bit of tint/temp adjustments [Radial Filter]. -20 Temp -50 Tint seems to normalize most of mine. Will be sending my bird back to DJI again for the focus issue next week, but may be able to get in a flight tomorrow to shoot some test jpg's.
I'm a novice and this is what my head was telling me I needed but now I know HOW to do it, THANK YOU!

@4wd - Thumbswayup presets FTW. Thanks for the reminder!

Sharing via dropbox for those that might want a quick preset for LR:

Mavic Pro Hot Zone Fix.lrtemplate

Adds a radial filter with [-20 Temp/-50 Tint] in the center, you may need to adjust or tweak to taste
And again thanks, I'll try to figure out presets that sounds like it would make it a lot easier.

@Romi you're more than welcome sir, presets are great for saving time.. I guess this pink/hot center issue is just the way the sensor on the Mavic outputs raw data, or the way the Lightroom interprets it. An official lens profile from Adobe could help correct it in the future too. Time will tell.. the journey continues. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

@Romi you're more than welcome sir, presets are great for saving time.. I guess this pink/hot center issue is just the way the sensor on the Mavic outputs raw data, or the way the Lightroom interprets it. An official lens profile from Adobe could help correct it in the future too. Time will tell.. the journey continues. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
@joeltd I'm currently using the Android Lightroom App and it doesn't offer presets. So I'm now looking into the windows Lightroom 6 since you made me aware of the additional features. Once again, thanks.

Reactions: nzgreen
Thanks @4wd I like the preset idea!

thanks also for the LR preset

Sorry to dig this back up, I just noticed on this video that the centre hot spot is apparent. Any ideas on a fix other than post work?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose