DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ping GPS Tracker - possible solution for lost drones?

RHelton10

Reactions
Just ran across this, what do you guys think of it as a possible GPS tracker?

LINK: https://wn.nr/JHCDXH

Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 6.59.22 PM.png

Looks pretty small, should be lightweight, and it's real GPS - not just bluetooth like many of the current keychain style trackers out there now. Also the battery will last for several months and will alert you when it's getting low, and says it comes with the data plan (cellular).

Depending on price (once it launches) I'm thinking this might be a good solution. Thoughts?

Reactions: ZALEXANDERK
Looks like you still might need cell service to get the gas location to your phone?

Looks like you still might need cell service to get the gas location to your phone?

From the way I read it, the device comes with cell service built in. No clue what that means, but they're saying the data plan is included.

This tracker might be a game-changer for tracking drones. Here's a video with more info:

It can track via cell, GPS and/or Bluetooth (which will work for the majority of pilots). The only thing it's missing is a radio signal tracker. Use the Marco Polo tracker if you require the latter.

Last edited:
Hey, all! Thanks for the interest in Ping.

Pre-orders are now open, with discounts and prices available at: Ping - The World’s Smallest Global GPS Locator

You can find all of your questions answered there, or please visit: Ping

In regards to the data plan, while Ping does use the same cellular network that cell phones use, the data plans are built into the device so you don't need to do anything else. Once you get Ping, you simply activate it with our free mobile app and you are ready to go.

I see the yearly Ping service plan is going to cost $36. That's not a bad deal.

The first year is also completely free so you have the opportunity to see just how valuable Ping can be.

Reactions: shuddee
If there is any way to get one of these sooner, please PM me. I'd love to test one on my Mavic.

This looks very promising, I like that it is waterproof, and that the charge lasts so long, and that it is small. This might be a great option for when I fly in areas covered by Cell service, and use my Marco Polo when no coverage is available. Seems this would be very helpful to also find a stolen Mavic gear bag, just hide/sew it into the bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: shuddee
Ran across this today on Facebook ads. Came straight here to post about it then found this thread. I am excited about testing it out. I have not lost my drone yet, but, this would be nice to have if I do.

Ditto, saw a Youtube ad for this today. Its a little $$ but the ability to find my drone in most areas would be worth it.

It does use GMS though and not CDMA, so in the U.S. that means spotty coverage. Unfortunately they don't provide a map of actual coverage on their website.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya