DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Plane just buzzed my house very low

Flyboy36

Reactions
I have a Mavic and I fly in the same area as two dirt runway airfields. I have registered my qaud and I don't fly over 390 feet. He buzzed my house at about 120 feet. I've tried calling both listed numbers. One just rings and the other is disconnected. I need some good advice.Scared the crap out of me. If my drone would've been in the air it could've been very bad.

i guess someone will ask how close are the runways to your house? and was he landing when he came in low.

personally i would fly somewhere else to be on the safe side. Are they marked on maps?

again personally if i knew they were there i would have found out if they were even operational before i flew anywhere near them.

i guess someone will ask how close are the runways to your house? and was he landing when he came in low.

personally i would fly somewhere else to be on the safe side. Are they marked on maps?

again personally if i knew they were there i would have found out if they were even operational before i flew anywhere near them.
I tried contacting both of them each time I fly. One is 5 miles away the other is 2.5 miles away. From what I understand. All I was supposed to do was inform them of my flights. The one won't answer the phone. And the other is disconnected.

I tried contacting both of them each time I fly. One is 5 miles away the other is 2.5 miles away. From what I understand. All I was supposed to do was inform them of my flights. The one won't answer the phone. And the other is disconnected.
Well i am no pilot but that does seem low. Although i have no clue what the regs are for a plane, i am sure someone will. The 2.5 miles i would keep outside. i honestly believed over a house it was 500 feet. again i am no pilot.

Yes you do have to contact them but i would ask on here abount unmanned runways and any restrictions etc.

Someone on here will have the answers but until u get them stay well away if u really cant then fly lower than your roof. If they are flying that low then a Mavic is not their problem but your roof will be.

Reactions: Flyboy36
An aircraft flew 120 feet above your house? Is this the first time that has ever happened? He was not on approach if he was at 120 feet and the nearest airstrip is 2.5 miles away.

I think you now have evidence that at least one of the airstrips might be active, but whether they are active or not is not the issue. Calling and not getting answer is not enough especially if you saw a low flying airplane. To me that spells No Fly Zone. You might want to take a trip to both airports instead of calling. They are both within a 10 minutes drive of your house.

I am planning on taking a trip down there to see if we can work something out. Yes this is the first time I've ever even seen a single engine plane around here anywhere. And yes he was barely above the trees in my yard.

The same thing happened to me not too long ago. Im an NOT in a no fly zone, and a plane pulling a banner flew past at probably around 400 feet. he has right-of-way so i just landed until he was clear of the area. Someone else on here got buzzed by an Apache warbird.

I have a Mavic and I fly in the same area as two dirt runway airfields. I have registered my quad and I don't fly over 390 feet. He buzzed my house at about 120 feet. I've tried calling both listed numbers. One just rings and the other is disconnected. I need some good advice.Scared the crap out of me. If my drone would've been in the air it could've been very bad.

Since it is a unique event, wonder if it was a troubled plane (some kind of one time mechanical issue).

I thought the same thing but he flew around for about another hour in the distance. he was way higher than 400 feet for the rest of his flight though

Yeah best is to go and see if you can talk to someone, I'm sure if you approach it in a friendly way they'll be the same, if not then whatever - you did your part. Hopefully you can learn a little more about how/when they operate and vice versa then you can both fly safer.

Yeah best is to go and see if you can talk to someone, I'm sure if you approach it in a friendly way they'll be the same, if not then whatever - you did your part. Hopefully you can learn a little more about how/when they operate and vice versa then you can both fly safer.
This was my thought process also. I think we could work something out.

Manned aircraft aren't supposed to fly any closer than 500' from any person or house (per FAA). The standard 3 degree glide path to landing at an airport is 300' per mile. So, at 2 miles, they could be 600'. Google earth where you are in relation to each runway extended centerline. That will tell you if they were not supposed to be there. Probably an isolated deal. If your house is under the approach path, then it's legal. But I doubt the FAA would let an airport or house violate the 500' rule (depending on which came first - house or airport).

I am planning on taking a trip down there to see if we can work something out. Yes this is the first time I've ever even seen a single engine plane around here anywhere. And yes he was barely above the trees in my yard.
That's the good call. Maybe not with a "work something out tone" but I know what you mean.
Maybe there are some numbers you can text every time you fly. At least if the pilots knew that a drone occasionally flies from your location, it could keep them more attentive. They may not even know it's a risk.

At the minimum, there may be a bulletin board near the airfield where you can pin up a very friendly note. (approximate distance/direction you fly from the airport. how often you fly. a number/email they can contact.)

He also wants me to bring the drone over this weekend so he can play with it.
Now that is ******* cool! Don't let this guy get away without taking you flying and letting you fly his airplane a bit in return! Nothing better than spreading a little mutual understanding and getting to learn a bit about each other's passions.

Now that is ******* cool! Don't let this guy get away without taking you flying and letting you fly his airplane a bit in return! Nothing better than spreading a little mutual understanding and getting to learn a bit about each other's passions.
This is a good idea!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest