DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Plastic Dome Camera Protector

sefeing

Reactions
Soon-to-be Mavic pilot (former P3P pilot, and was lucky enough to go to the Mavic launch which immediately changed my mind on which to buy) here, with a question!

Is it possible to fly the Mavic with the plastic camera protector still on? Seems to be in this video:

Advantages / Disadvantages?

Soon-to-be Mavic pilot (former P3P pilot, and was lucky enough to go to the Mavic launch which immediately changed my mind on which to buy) here, with a question!

Is it possible to fly the Mavic with the plastic camera protector still on? Seems to be in this video:

Advantages / Disadvantages?
Yes
Pro: protection
Con: Degrades optical quality

Is it possible to fly the Mavic with the plastic camera protector still on?
Possible? Yes.

However, if Philip Bloom is correct in this video where he says he has a production model of the Mavic Pro, you won't be able to see anything out of the camera when that cover is attached.

ProdModel.jpg

I think his statement of having a "production model" is in error. I have seen videos with both the clear globe and the opaque one. the replacement on the DJI site is clear.

We'll know the real story soon ;)

Yep -- I guess we'll have to wait and see what DJI ships. Until then, we can continue to speculate ;)

I'm thinking at some point someone will create a cover that will ensure that there is no glare and give the camera protection. It should not be that difficult to make I would think since the camera only needs to pan up and down. Hopeful anyway...

If you're just going exploring, leave it on. If you need to record, take it off. I'll be leaving it on for range tests and lower altitude ocean runs.

Reactions: sefeing
Perhaps some third party will make an optically clear cover that will do both, protect the camera and not degrade the VQ.

I was thinking the frosted part goes over the clear plastic, for transport.

On one of the other threads, someone who just received theres says that there's a silcone (translucent) cover for the clear hard cover, so you get both.

That said, a neutral density filter would be great. Less weight, optically flat (less distortion). And they exist for the Mavic.

View media item 22
This unboxing pic was posted on the Mavic Pro Facebook site. He posted it in response to a question asking if it was clear or whether it had a removable coating. He didn't answer the question and just posted this pic. DJI may have decided to make it not clear to prevent people from recording a bunch of crappy video with the bubble on.

Reactions: Butterpuff 6
You can see both layers here.
He should read up on his manual a little before trying to "start" his drone. I think his sync issue could be solved simply by properly powering on both the Mavic and RC.

It was a good unboxing though and definitely got my heart racing as I anticipate my own shipment coming soon!

Reactions: Butterpuff 6
He should read up on his manual a little before trying to "start" his drone. I think his sync issue could be solved simply by properly powering on both the Mavic and RC.

It was a good unboxing though and definitely got my heart racing as I anticipate my own shipment coming soon!

I thought that he might not have the go app open. "I downloaded it, I didn't know I had to launch it too."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851