DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PLEASE HELP I'M GOING CRAZY (Jerky video)

mman

Reactions
I just got my Mavic back after about a month of waiting for the new one. I'm so upset, I don't know what to do....
I'm having the same issue as before. the side to side video movement is very, very jerky. I have tried in auto mode. Tried in manual mode, I made sure that the shutter speed was double of the video frame as many had suggested here. I changed to 1080 P and changed the frames per second. I have about 30 different videos with different settings and all have a jerky video.
. PLEASE HELP!!!!
The video I've uploaded is in the house with me holding and moving the drone in a counter clock wise and clock wise motion in horizontal manner. Please look at the white door opening as it's quite jerky.

There are several adjustments you can make to flight performance characteristics and gimbal performance. The right adjustments will help make your videos smooth as silk and more cinematic in nature. YouTube has lots of videos covering the subject. Then there is the matter of color grading and editing, but that's another story.

There are several adjustments you can make to flight performance characteristics and gimbal performance. The right adjustments will help make your videos smooth as silk and more cinematic in nature. YouTube has lots of videos covering the subject. Then there is the matter of color grading and editing, but that's another story.
I've looked at the gimbal adjustments as well. I changed the settings and also reset the gimbal as well. What is strange is the video is smooth when vertical movement but gets jerky in horizontal movement. As I had a month of waiting I read all the suggestions on my previous posts and really I can't figure it out.

I watched but I am not sure I see what you are describing. Panning fast like that will not give you a real smooth image. Please show some video from outside in flight.

I watched but I am not sure I see what you are describing. Panning fast like that will not give you a real smooth image. Please show some video from outside in flight.
I just looked at the video and you are right you can't see it. I'm not sure how to post so you can see the full screen video. Based on weather I will take it out and show some new video

Ditto, also not seeing it.

Reactions: mavic air
I see exactly what you are talking about. Mine does the same thing.

When panning this camera at 30 fps you will get a strobing/jitter effect in high contrast areas. Where you will see this is in areas such as trees against sky, white door frames, refrigerator handles, and less in scenes of lower or more equal areas of contrast... and much more so with horizontal motion vs vertical.

It is an effect that even higher quality cameras have if panned too quickly at 24 or even 30 fps. Not being judgmental, but you are panning pretty fast here. If I understand it correctly it is a combination of high resolution and certain display refresh rates.

60fps does not produce this, as I have proven with two other cameras I own. The only thing that seems to help is slowing your shutter speed down to 1/60 or less, and very slow panning. If you look at the best cinema productions, very little panning is used anyway and if so it is very slow.

Use an ND to slow your shutter speed and produce a small amount of motion blur and pan slowly. I think you will begin to see a better product.

It's also interesting that I am seeing the same thing as you on my monitor, and others are not. Might be this effect is not even apparent on some monitors/devices.

For some insight into the phenomenon: Panning Best Practices

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavkeb
I just got my Mavic back after about a month of waiting for the new one. I'm so upset, I don't know what to do....
I'm having the same issue as before. the side to side video movement is very, very jerky. I have tried in auto mode. Tried in manual mode, I made sure that the shutter speed was double of the video frame as many had suggested here. I changed to 1080 P and changed the frames per second. I have about 30 different videos with different settings and all have a jerky video.
. PLEASE HELP!!!!
The video I've uploaded is in the house with me holding and moving the drone in a counter clock wise and clock wise motion in horizontal manner. Please look at the white door opening as it's quite jerky.
Check the thread..."Not a smooth video while turning" for more on this topic

You are panning WAY too fast. Once you learn the proper panning speed, then there are settings in the app to ease the gimbal movements. But nothing will work at that speed. Also, the most pleasing videos have little or no panning in them. There are plenty of youtube vids showing good filming technique.

I see exactly what you are talking about. Mine does the same thing.

When panning this camera at 30 fps you will get a strobing/jitter effect in high contrast areas. Where you will see this is in areas such as trees against sky, white door frames, refrigerator handles, and less in scenes of lower or more equal areas of contrast... and much more so with horizontal motion vs vertical.

It is an effect that even higher quality cameras have if panned too quickly at 24 or even 30 fps. Not being judgmental, but you are panning pretty fast here. If I understand it correctly it is a combination of high resolution and certain display refresh rates.

60fps does not produce this, as I have proven with two other cameras I own. The only thing that seems to help is slowing your shutter speed down to 1/60 or less, and very slow panning. If you look at the best cinema productions, very little panning is used anyway and if so it is very slow.

Use an ND to slow your shutter speed and produce a small amount of motion blur and pan slowly. I think you will begin to see a better product.

It's also interesting that I am seeing the same thing as you on my monitor, and others are not. Might be this effect is not even apparent on some monitors/devices.

For some insight into the phenomenon: Panning Best Practices
Robert,
Thank you for the sound advice. I went back and looked at the video I posted originally and I can clearly see that happening on the fridge. door handles and the white door opening in my video. I am now reading your article about the 7 second rule! I will slow it WAYY down and take some new video and see if there are changes to the video quality. Again thank you. I hope that it works.

Yes, slow pans are the way to go. Another aspect to consider is to match the frame rate to the country you are in. For NTSC countries like the USA, only use 30 or 60fps. For England, Africa and Australia, use 25 or 50 to match the PAL system. Sony handicams, which I use, are matched this way. Many others, like our Mavic camera, you can choose which system to use.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu