DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Please say there's no new Mavic Pro on the horizon!!

I never understand why people feel their toys degraded just because a new toy comes around. The Mavic is not getting 1 bit worse because of a new Mavic.
If it does "it" for you now then it will do "it" then as well.
If its lacking for you then you should be all happy about a new Mavic that fills that gap.

?!?!
Ender
the toy "may" be degraded in the respect that what $1000 gets you today may be able to buy twice the capability tomorrow! I'm completely with the OP in that if I knew the next gen was imminent I would completely wait for that tech jump for the same cost.. it's a no brainer.

Reactions: Drone Police and Ty
the toy "may" be degraded in the respect that for $1000 today may be able to buy you twice the capability tomorrow! I'm completely with the OP in that if I knew the next gen was imminent I would completely wait for that tech jump for the same cost.. it's a no brainer.
Getting NOW what i want instead of buying it in 6 month for me is a no brainer :)
(Of course for stuff that i can afford, not for that Audi R8 spyder i ALSO want)

Ender

Reactions: Egika
Getting NOW what i want instead of buying it in 6 month for me is a no brainer :)
(Of course for stuff that i can afford, not for that Audi R8 spyder i ALSO want)

Ender
Of course there are many factors to the equation. Tomorrow = wait, 6 months = screw that, that's a lifetime away!

Reactions: Londroner
Of course there are many factors to the equation. Tomorrow = wait, 6 months = screw that, that's a lifetime away!
Yep :)
But if the release is imminent and the "soon old" Mavic does what you want, why not benefit from the 30% pricedrop beeing even more imminent :)

I get your point as well :)

Ender

I have no idea, but they are on sale now at Costco. Just saying.

There won't be another mavic pro /2 not yet, they still don't have a middle model.

Spark
Mavic advance (next one out)
Mavic pro

I'm close to buying a Mavic Pro but have a terrible track record with tech gear. Usually when I invest hard-earned money in a device a new and better one comes out a short time later. So, just the make sure, are there any rumours of a Mavic Pro 2 or whatever on the way? I hope not.

I know DJI have just released the Spark, let's hope that's their last new launch for a while. :)
Always enjoy your day like if it's the last one.

Please please please remember to factor in the DJI formula for a product launch. Even if they held one of their fancy product launch events tomorrow and a snazzy mavic 2 was presented to the world by an 18 year old ex apple/ google CEO, you would still be waiting 8 months to a year to get it in your hand. so fear not. Go buy a Mavic Pro(totype) today and enjoy it
Haha. Great advice - and so true about the '18 year-old CEO'. :)

I wouldn't wait for a new model; even after announcement you can figure another 4-6 months before it's in your hand and you'll want to read reviews and hands-on comments, right? More time gone.

But if you CAN wait a bit, wait for the rumors to start and 'leaked' photos to appear. Then prices on the current model will start to come down quite a bit, refurbs and "like new" units will be widespread and you'll save significant money while still getting immediate delivery, months ahead of any MP2. Availability of the MP now at Costco and Sam's Club are the first cracks in that wall - both of those big-boxes just LOVE discounting to drive volume.

The problem with that theory is that dropping the MP price significantly puts it into the range of the Spark+controller variation, which means the Spark has to come down to avoid being cannibalized by the MP. My guess is that the way DJI will deal with this is to put enough new stuff into the MP2 (4k x 60FPS, 360-degree OA, more-rugged gimbal etc.) to list price it at $1,399 and just drop the MP down to $899. Then they can cut the price of the Spark variations by $50 and call it a day while driving the competition nuts.

That said, I fervently hope for serious broad-lineup competition to appear; it's better for everybody.

The Mavic Pro 2 is on the horizon, depending on your definition of horizon, and you define it as within 2 years.

But in all seriousness, like many already said, it's probably 9-12 months away. To me, that's a whole new product cycle.

WRT the prototype comments, I guess you can call it that. By the way, I'm really enjoying my iPhone 6S Plus prototype as well as my Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet prototype. :D

Reactions: kairey
Drones are not cellphones or computers processors, that requires hardware upgrade for those hungry apps and malwares requirements

They can be compared like cars, buy one and have fun forever with it, it is up to you to buy a new model every year, with very minor upgrades every year

Reactions: namja
If there is going to be a Mavic 2 so soon then they would of called the Mavic pro just the Mavic, calling it Mavic pro tell me there is going to an advance model or a standard which is the spark I think, before a Mavic 2.

Last edited:
The problem with waiting for a new one is that there's always going to be something newer and cooler coming so you will be waiting forever. Jump in, seize the present!

I hope there isn't a new Mavic just around the corner as I only bought mine last week :eek:

Got fed up waiting for the Spark Combo to arrive in the UK. Also got nervous about Spark capabilities and spec vs that of the Mavic Thumbswayup

Reactions: kairey
If you have a terrible record with tech gear (whatever that may be) then perhaps its best to invest in something that is now pretty much sorted out and proven. Wait for a new one, whenever that may be and you may become one of those beta testers like some of the Spark guys are feeling right now, not to mention the stories I have read when the Mavic first came out.

I am having the same decision to make right now, I'd buy the Mavic immediately no questions asked if I was you. For me its absolutely more than I need, but what else is out there that is reliable, with great support forums like this?

KEVIN

The DJI designers are being paid and they have to continue to work.

Mavic Advance is coming. There will be sensors at the sides, back, and top. Camera is also using 1" sensor.

^^^ Aren't the above given what the the trend in drones nowadays?

Just my 2 cents. I suspect that rumors will start of a Mavic 2 in September. The first ones will probably be in a few peoples hands in November and the general public will probably not be able to get one until January-March.

I don't expect the Mav2 to be a quantum leap forward.
A better camera for sure and they will most likely change the Gimbal design because the current one is a bit fragile. Also rear avoidance sensors is probably on the agenda and slightly better battery life.
I mostly agreed with your post, however I think there will be a bit more than that (for example, I expect to see 6-axis OA, all camera-based), significant step up in on-board computing power supporting more firmware-based features. Also, I expect the automation engine to evolve, with support for more controllable parameters like gimbal tilt, speed, and others.

OTOH, I may just be a dreamer... :D

Speaking of dreaming, what I doubt we'll see but would just love would be upgraded IMU hardware good enough to support actual inertial navigation, so that when GPS and/or compass sensor is lost, the aircraft can do an RTH on inertial inertial alone.

Reactions: Robbyg
If you have a terrible record with tech gear (whatever that may be) then perhaps its best to invest in something that is now pretty much sorted out and proven.
Naaahhh... you're overweighting the "terrible" here.

Think of it this way: His terrible record with technology purchases is akin to having a terrible record with lane changes in heavy traffic on the freeway... seems that no matter what you do trying to get in the lane that seems to be moving, it always stops when you get there and the lane you were in starts going.

THAT kind of "terrible record". More bad luck than anything, and probably a whole lot of simply perception.

Here's an idea for the next gen Mavic: Take the Spark, put on folding arms and then all the other improvements we've discussed in this thread (and others).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7