DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polar Pro filters have arrived !!

My 6-pack arrived today, well in advance of the Mavic :(. BTW, I did receive an email from Polar Pro earlier saying that the first batch had fit issues and they were pausing shipments to address it. Perhaps some did not get caught before they went out.

So the correct procedure is to wait until the gimbal is initiated and ready for flight before attaching? The instructions don't state it and I installed the polarizer before starting. I got warnings of gimbal obstruction and overload.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Actually under "Tips" it does say to "be sure to install your filter after initial calibration". So yes, you must install after the gimbal is initialized.

msinger, would the polarpro be a better set for 6 filters or would you recommend the PGYTECH 5 set ?

msinger, would the polarpro be a better set for 6 filters or would you recommend the PGYTECH 5 set ?
Personally, I'm looking for filters that are both lightweight and that can be installed while the Mavic is powered down. The PGYTECH filters weigh 1.3g and the TACO-RC filters weigh 0.7g. I know TACO-RC makes good products too. If I could only buy one sight unseen (since I don't own any yet), I'd go with TACO-RC.

Last edited:
Actually under "Tips" it does say to "be sure to install your filter after initial calibration". So yes, you must install after the gimbal is initialized.

Unless we are talking about a one-time calibration procedure, that is not practical... I don't quite understand why the filter has to be installed after gimbal initialization... I would think this should be the other way around as the initialization process would take in account the filter weight and properly balance the camera. Plus, fitting a filter while the gimbal is active is going to drive it crazy and possibly damage it (motors fighting).

I will be recieving the PGY ones this week. I do like the fact you dont need to take them off for initialisation. The question now is will they stay on? Will there be gimbal overloads during flight? And importantly, whats the quality of of optics.

I am still curious how much the polarpros weigh and the results people are getting.

1.54 grams for the ND filters, 1.80 grams for the ND/PL filters. Hope that helps.

PP always do this with every release! They jump on the bandwagon without testing things properly simply to get the orders in. They then release updated versions like they have with the "Cinema" filters this time which apparently do let you power on with them in place. However in their defense I do believe they are letting people upgrade to the Cinema version.

From what I have read with regards to quality etc. I would go for the Taco filters (no I do not work for them, just what I have been told by people who have used both sets on other craft). The Taco and PGY ones allow you to leave them on and not have to fumble around after powering the Mavic on. Lets face it putting pressure on the gimbal at any time is not going to it much good and even more so when it is actually powered on.

I have looked at the Taco filters online and it appears they don't have a polarizing filter. Is that true, and if so, is that a deal killer?
Also, regarding the polarizers, when I did a lot of 35mm photography, it was necessary to look thru the lens and rotate the polarizer to get the effect you wanted. The orientation of the filter was essential. Obviously, you can't do that with these filters once the quad is in the air. Nor can you see the effect the filter is having on the reflections. How do they work and how well do they work?

I ordered but I'm sending them back unopened. There is no way I'm going to use a filter that I must remove on each power up. With 3 batteries that is 5 times I have to handle the camera 3 times will it is powered on. That's asking for problems. Not to mention it's a major PITA and I'm forgetful as heck I'm sure I will leave it on at strain the motors. Nope... not going to even open the box. Return to Polar Pro as soon as I get them.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I have looked at the Taco filters online and it appears they don't have a polarizing filter. Is that true, and if so, is that a deal killer?
Also, regarding the polarizers, when I did a lot of 35mm photography, it was necessary to look thru the lens and rotate the polarizer to get the effect you wanted. The orientation of the filter was essential. Obviously, you can't do that with these filters once the quad is in the air. Nor can you see the effect the filter is having on the reflections. How do they work and how well do they work?

Apparently Polarizing filters will be available in the next few days.

Yes, correct, it will just be trial and error. Maybe hold the Mavic in the air and look at the screen then adjust the filter but again you will be attacking the gimbal to move the filter. I am new to aerial video so really have no idea of how much benefit they will give tbh, hopefully others can advise.

Also with the lack of space with the Mavics gimbal you cannot simply drop a polarizer on top of an ND filter. You are going to have to buy another set of ND filters which are polarized.... I am just going for the ND for now and once out in the wild and sample footage is available I will then decide if it is worth buying the ND+P ones.

I've been using the Polar Pro filters and it is a PITA to get the filter on when it's powered up. Will most likely be upgrading to the Cinemas when they come out just for convince. Footage is noticeably better running shutter speed at double the frame rate.

Reactions: lifeismusic
Unless we are talking about a one-time calibration procedure, that is not practical... I don't quite understand why the filter has to be installed after gimbal initialization... I would think this should be the other way around as the initialization process would take in account the filter weight and properly balance the camera. Plus, fitting a filter while the gimbal is active is going to drive it crazy and possibly damage it (motors fighting).

I think with the PP ones it is a mixture of weight and the fact that they actually catch on the sides of the gimbal mechanism. The Taco ones come in at 0.7g, that is a big difference.

TACO have just put out a multi coating filter set at $20 dearer on ebay, I was thinking of getting the $79.99 set until I saw their 97% rating, bit low for me to purchase, perhaps that rating will improve before I want to purchase.

Regarding the polarising filter, you can always look through the filter at the scene first, rotate it to see the effect you want, take note of the orientation of the filter that has that effect, then slip it on the camera on the Mavic in that same orientation. Much less hassle than putting it on the Mavic first. Not sure if the filters come with markings already, but if it doesn't you can always mark it yourself with permanent marker on the rim..

Has anyone tried Taco filters on their Mavic? Do you have to install after gimbal initialization?
I just received the 3 set from Polarpro but do not want to have to remove and install each time.
thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada