DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polarized Lens adjustment

sonof40

Reactions
Is there any technique or suggestion for tuning while looking straight down?

If you are flying line of sight, then just use left stick until you are pointed in the direction you want to face. With the camera pointed down obstacle avoidance is your only safety net if you can't maintain LOS.

Sorry, my question wasn't very clear.
When adjusting the polar filter to achieve maximum polarizing effect, you rotate the filter.
How does that work when the camera is pointing down vs horizontally?

Uh.....what? I think we're a little lost and you may be too.

First off -- what do you mean by "lens adjustment"?

Here's why we're confused:

1. The Mavic doesn't have an adjustable lens, unless you're referring to FOCUS??
2. Polarizing filters aren't adjustable either --- they just go on and that's it.

I think we're mixing up words here, and need a very clear explanation of what you're trying to achieve when you say "lens adjustment".

The Polarized lens needs to be turned to find the sweet spot in order to get the best polarizing effect.
Like turning your head from side to side while wearing polarized sun glasses.

Is there any technique or suggestion for tuning while looking straight down?

I understand what you are saying. If you intend to do a lot of video looking straight down then you won't get any benefit from a polarised lens unless you are looking at something like snow or desert. There is no additional adjustment that can be made other than getting the correct filter angle before you put the filter on.

Reactions: sonof40
If you're looking straight down you are not going to get a whole lot of polarized light. One source of polarized light will be the sky. If you're looking down you won't see sky. Another source is non-metallic reflective surfaces, such as car bodies, etc. and partially reflective surfaces such as water or windows. Since water will always be horizontal, looking down at it will be perpendicular, so no polarization. Windows and reflective surfaces will entirely depend on the angles involved, so there's no real answer except "it depends." How well do you understand how light is polarized and in which direction?

Reactions: sonof40
I understand what you are saying. If you intend to do a lot of video looking straight down then you won't get any benefit from a polarised lens unless you are looking at something like snow or desert. There is no additional adjustment that can be made other than getting the correct filter angle before you put the filter on.
Do you get a benefit from polarization on snow? From my experimentation I found that snow doesn't polarize. Or at least not very strongly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3