DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PolarPro- Filter Calculator App

PolarPro

Reactions
Hi Everyone,

We just launched an app to help select which filter to use to get shutter to the sweet spot.
It would be awesome if we could get some early usability feedback on the app.

We would greatly appreciate your thoughts and feedback. The app is free to download and use:
iTunes: PolarPro-Filter Calculator-IOS
Google Play: PolarPro Filter Calculator-Android

Thank you in advance for your help,
Jeff

Hi Everyone,

We just launched an app to help select which filter to use to get shutter to the sweet spot.
It would be awesome if we could get some early usability feedback on the app.

We would greatly appreciate your thoughts and feedback. The app is free to download and use:
iTunes: PolarPro-Filter Calculator-IOS
Google Play: PolarPro Filter Calculator-Android

Thank you in advance for your help,
Jeff
Just received my 6 pack of filters yesterday. Glad to test the app this weekend PS.....Like the holder case on the new filters. The old nylon pouches for the 4 just didn't cut it

Just received my 6 pack of filters yesterday. Glad to test the app this weekend PS.....Like the holder case on the new filters. The old nylon pouches for the 4 just didn't cut it
Awesome thank you very much for the support! I look forward to hearing what you think about the app usability.
-Jeff

Reactions: Patrick Kyles
You guys are amazing...

I ordered my 3-filter pack by the end of November, when the first batch was already gone, you said you would be sending out the next orders by the beginning of December and you did.

I received my order,here in Portugal, just this week, benefiting from a quick pass-through Customs, who didn't even charge taxes :)

I loved the overall quality and presentation of the package and can hardly wait to test the filters, once I finally get my Mavic.

...and now this useful app...

Keep up the great work!

MK

Reactions: DVS24
No idea how to use the app or how the app knows what the natural light conditions are to suggest what filter I should install.

No idea how to use the app or how the app knows what the natural light conditions are to suggest what filter I should install.
Natural light is metered through your Mavics Camera.
Shutter Speed, ISO, and Frame Rates are displayed on the DJI App.
Plug shutter speed, ISO, and Frame Rate into the Filter Calculator.

Did you download the app and try it out? Or were you just asking?

Thanks,

Jeff

I think the calculator should automatically update whenever a new value is added to any field, also the dial controls on iOS can be difficult to use, if you start to scroll from the highlight green area it will not scroll, you have to start above or below the current number. When a new value is entered automatically close the roller window. That'll make the interactions feel great. Next point, you should probably have a label on the fields that says "Metering and camera settings" and then down by the calculated filter it should show how the exposure controls should be manually set with that filter on. I assume most folks wanting to go for cinematic feel are aiming for a shutter speed 2x the frame rate, and that leaves ISO as the final control that needs to be adjusted.

Thank you guys for doing this, will save some trial and error.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Is there no setting for PAL/European frame rates like 25 and 50?
Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Thats a good point, 25 is close enough to 24 where it would not make a difference, but I will look into the 50 frame rates for sure!

Thank you very much for the feedback,

Jeff

I think the calculator should automatically update whenever a new value is added to any field, also the dial controls on iOS can be difficult to use, if you start to scroll from the highlight green area it will not scroll, you have to start above or below the current number. When a new value is entered automatically close the roller window. That'll make the interactions feel great. Next point, you should probably have a label on the fields that says "Metering and camera settings" and then down by the calculated filter it should show how the exposure controls should be manually set with that filter on. I assume most folks wanting to go for cinematic feel are aiming for a shutter speed 2x the frame rate, and that leaves ISO as the final control that needs to be adjusted.
Thank you guys for doing this, will save some trial and error.
Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Awesome, these are some great ideas, they are all getting added onto the design board for the next version.
Appreciated the very detailed feedback, it helps a lot.
-Jeff

Reactions: jomk and roberto
My 6-pack of filters is arriving this weekend so I will test then (assuming the Mavic will fly in 20 degree temps). You guys are awesome, btw. Have the 6-pack filters for the P3P and they work great!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: PolarPro
There are no instructions, so here's what I assume is happening:

* I set the ISO and shutter speed currently set in the camera (via auto exposure or manual entries, whatever it is currently set to)
* I indicate the FPS I have selected and the value of the current ND filter on the camera, if any
* App then calculates the appropriate ND filter to get twice the selected frame rate

Have I got that right? The objective of 2x the frame rate should be indicated clearly rather than being implicit.

Also, what is the point of saving a filter? I saved one but then could find anything that I could do with it (except delete it!)

I have other apps that will calculate this, but they are general purpose and require more setup. This is a handy tool for this specific purpose. And free, too :cool: Thanks

* I set the ISO and shutter speed currently set in the camera (via auto exposure or manual entries, whatever it is currently set to)
* I indicate the FPS I have selected and the value of the current ND filter on the camera, if any
* App then calculates the appropriate ND filter to get twice the selected frame rate

Have I got that right? The objective of 2x the frame rate should be indicated clearly rather than being implicit.

Also, what is the point of saving a filter? I saved one but then could find anything that I could do with it (except delete it!)

I have other apps that will calculate this, but they are general purpose and require more setup. This is a handy tool for this specific purpose. And free, too :cool: Thanks
I agree with you. It seems that it only saves the filter if you plug all the variables in. Then you can not even change the name like "sunny and no clouds". I was hoping more the help would help you select a filter. For me that would be much more heady due to I have no idea what filter to select in the first place. [emoji17]. Just my 2 cents

SkyHigh Pyro Eye flying above

I have the app and I don't get any app any info if I don't plug in all 4 fields and then if I do plug in all fields the suggested filter is the same as the filter that I plugged in which I can't assume to be correct.

I would assume that the app would have to get an ambient light reading in order to suggest a filter for my settings.

Reactions: Rbruz

Yes this is absolutely correct!
We thought it would be nice to be able to save a filter in case you did not have that specific one.
(Sort of like a wish list) If you had any other suggestions on what to do with them that would be great!

Or is that feature not valuable to you?

Thank you very much for the feedback and help,
Jeff

I agree with you. It seems that it only saves the filter if you plug all the variables in. Then you can not even change the name like "sunny and no clouds". I was hoping more the help would help you select a filter. For me that would be much more heady due to I have no idea what filter to select in the first place. [emoji17]. Just my 2 cents

Thank you very much for the feedback.
If you plug in all the camera settings to the app, the app will tell you which filter to use to get shutter speed perfect.
This is a little more precise than generalizing if its sunny then use the ND16.
Are you saying you would also like to see a general filter guide like on our site, also on the app?

Great feedback!
-Jeff

Thank you very much for the feedback.
If you plug in all the camera settings to the app, the app will tell you which filter to use to get shutter speed perfect.
This is a little more precise than generalizing if its sunny then use the ND16.
Are you saying you would also like to see a general filter guide like on our site, also on the app?

Great feedback!
-Jeff
Jeff, That would help, at least, me out allot. I really dont have much experience with filters at all, so something that would at least start in a basic direction would be great. Then it would be easier to plug the rest in to the shutter speed. Thank you for your reply back.

The current way I go about choosing a filter is (I1) is, start the bird, put in my camera settings, most often I'm using ISO 100, FHD, 60FPS, ShutterSpeed 120. I then point the camera to the sky and place filters over the lens until my sky or clouds has no zebra stripes.

With the method that I use, I can't see how the app could possibly work if the app doesn't somehow get a reading of the ambient light.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929