DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poll: Are you happy with your Mavic?

Are you happy with your Mavic?

• 1. Yes I am happy I bought it and have no intention of selling it.

• 2. No I am not happy with it and would like to get a refund or sell it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I feel I suffer from the soft focus issue on the right hand side of my videos. I'm on the fence about having it fixed since I've heard that people are receiving refurb Mavics that still display the same issue or some even worse.

Here's some video I recently shot. Help push me to either side (repair/keep).

I am very happy with the MP. To date I have had zero issues other than needing better weather for more flying time.

I have owned several drones from different manufactures.

I am more than happy with the Mavic and how sophisticated it is for such a small package.

The last couple of firmware updated have made the camera focus and picture quality exceed my expectations
for something that folds up so small.

Please cast your vote either way.

Just wondering how people feel about their Mavics after purchase. I have personally experienced DJI's shipping delays, repair delays, and sometimes incompetent staff, but overall, I am 100% satisfied with mine. Its the best consumer drone Ive ever had, and is really revolutionary in its design and capabilities.

You can read 100 messages here from people having problems, and I think most of those are from owners not reading the manual or not understanding something and not being patient enough to read past posts and self-diagnose.

I do buy sell and repair Mavics, but from a personal point of view, after owning hundreds of RC aircraft in my life, the Mavic is my favorite.

I do agree on all points especially the delays and lack of communication. The aircraft itself, brilliant.

The Mavics concept was the game changer in Drone portability and will be marked down in the history books. One day we will all look back and remember as been the first to have this fantastic piece of engineering design that despite a few mishaps overall for its first appearance is one huge achievement in the drone industry. Mines been faultless and im proud to be part of this new drone era.

Just wondering how people feel about their Mavics after purchase. I have personally experienced DJI's shipping delays, repair delays, and sometimes incompetent staff, but overall, I am 100% satisfied with mine. Its the best consumer drone Ive ever had, and is really revolutionary in its design and capabilities.

You can read 100 messages here from people having problems, and I think most of those are from owners not reading the manual or not understanding something and not being patient enough to read past posts and self-diagnose.

I do buy sell and repair Mavics, but from a personal point of view, after owning hundreds of RC aircraft in my life, the Mavic is my favorite.
Agree ... have been flying RC for 40+ years, and many quadcopter drones and RC helicopters ... and Mavik most intuitive and capable, not to mention most portable ...

Overall it's a great drone and packed with innovation. Well Done. The biggest flaw thew Mavic has in my opinion is that it's way too susceptible to interference of any type. Mine does not miss an opportunity to flash some kind of interference message just about every time I power it up, regardless of where I'm at. My whole town according to it is an interference salad. Unfortunately I have no desert close by.

I'm very happy with my Mavic. I haven't had any problems with hardware or updates.

My only problem with the Mavic is how delicate the gimbal seems to be. I'm having mine repaired and I've had Parrot drones that have been through hell without ever needing a repair. I really hope my situation isn't typical and these things can take a little bit of a hit without dying.

My only problem with the Mavic is how delicate the gimbal seems to be. I'm having mine repaired and I've had Parrot drones that have been through **** without ever needing a repair. I really hope my situation isn't typical and these things can take a little bit of a hit without dying.

The gimbal consists of many parts and only a few are delicate. The flat ribbon cable, the silver stranded cable, and the gimbal plate are most prone to breakage but that is by design. I want those to break before anything else in the gimbal because those are the most expendable parts. The strongest and most expensive parts of the gimbal are the lens body, the gimbal motors, and the circuit boards, all of which can take a hit and still keep working. If you hit it hard enough youre going to break multiple parts, but the cheapest parts break first. I think the gimbal is well designed, and quite durable as long as you dont crash it or cause it too much stress like snap yawing or slamming on the brakes from a full speed sport mode run.

Reactions: fiftiesnut
To each their own I suppose but again I would disagree. The Mavic is good but the P4p gives you the best image quality in this price range. If you need a better camera than the P4p you re going to need to go to the inspire and the Micro 4/3

It's not a case of agreeing with me or not, you've completely missed the point I was making - a 1in sensor is certainly more capable than a 1/2.3in sensor but it's still a big step down from the larger sensors particularly in dynamic range which is important for a drone as landscape shots will usually really challenge the limits of the sensor. The fact the P4P's sensor is best in class simply doesn't change those limitations it has as I said for me, it's not worth the bulk unless it's APS-C or bigger.

Well John I disagree.

The consensus is the Mavic is the best selling drone of all time. I don't know if that is true or not but I do know that they have been on sale since October and they continue to be in limited supply. That being the case, I'm not surprised that there are a large number of reported issues... That's just math. If I sell 100,000 Mavics with a 5% defect rate that's.... 5,000 potentially unhappy operators and customer service contacts. If I sell 10,000 X-Stars with a 5% defect rate that's 500 potentially unhappy operators. {The numbers are just used to illustrate my point - not true numbers} So I don't think it is accurate to say there are "more problems" with the Mavic as compared to other platforms. I have had 0 problems with the Mavic. My P3p cracked 3 times on fewer flights than my Mavic currently had today. I won't even start with my TH and my X-star is good but not nearly as refined as the Mavic and DJI's new series of Phantoms. The Mavic shows no sign's of wear. The lack of problems actually worries me... it has been flawless. I have never had a bird that has had no appreciable problems. Yes, I had a few disconnects. They were all related to the mobile device I was using not the Mavic. Other than that I have not had a problem.

Darryl

Again, you seem to completely miss the point - I'm not claiming the Mavic itself is an unreliable unit, in my original post you quoted I said my Mavic was fine and when you misread that post, I clarified I thought DJI's hardware was good but their service was poor. There's nothing to agree or disagree there - DJI's current service with the Mavic is poor, they don't only have to deal with faulty units but also units that have crashed which is going to be a common occurrence with drones. There's always going to be complaints about companies no matter how well they do but what's important is the consistency of those complaints and with DJI they are extremely consistent with people constantly claiming about long repair times and slow responses from customer services. You're welcome to express your opinion that all these people are wrong on the official DJI forums since you disagree with me but to put it mildly, that's not going to happen.

For now it's part and parcel of buying a Mavic and pretending it doesn't happen or doesn't exist is simply unhelpful to other people, particularly prospective purchasers. I've had no issues with my Mavic nor DJI CS but I keep good tabs on DJI forums and I'm not blind to the issues DJI currently have. I find it most useful when choosing a product to be aware of its advantages and disadvantages so I can choose if it's suitable or not, I've been on forums that have similarly chosen to ignore disadvantages and over promote the advantages which unsurprisingly ended up becoming almost entirely useless as they chased off anyone who dared criticise the product.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Fried Toast
Again, that hasn't been my experience. The negatives are amplified by the sheer sales numbers IMO.

No there are lots of companies that sell more of a single product in a month than DJI will sell in a year and they do not have clueless robotic CSR agents like DJI.
Agents that send you through an endless jumble of repetitive nonsense until you either go away or accept whatever fate they deem fit for you.

I have been purchasing large volumes of products for an entire company and I have seen some pretty hokey CS systems but DJI's is the most well planned group of baton passing CSR I have ever encountered.

You can literately explain the same problem over 10 times in emails and phone calls and still not get one inch of forward movement. Just when your near breaking point they send in good Cop Ken to sooth your nerves and then Mindy who makes you think a solution is just within reach.

I'm happy with it, even though mine arrived with manufacturing defects and had to go to repair, but I *deplore* DJI's customer service. Any bleeding edge gadget like this one will have issues, but not offering to return a DOA product within 30 days after receipt, instead forcing the customer to wait a month or more to get it repaired, is totally unacceptable (at least in the US, maybe it isn't in China). I'd recommend people don't purchase directly through the DJI store, but from a reputable seller with decent return policy.
So very true! I had issues with mine and it was less than a month old when I contacted DJI customer disservice. The best they could come up with was that I would need to send it in to see what the problem was and then maybe if warranted they would exchange. Possibly not even with a new one.. I have read some horror stories here about Mavic owners getting refurbished, that they pass off as new. Absolutely DO NOT Buy directly from DJI. Big mistake! I thought it was the way to go, before this experience with DJI. Get from reputable dealers that will not second guess you if you have a problem and you need to replace within the first thirty days. Who wants to have their freshly acquired drone, or anything right out of a box for that matter, worked on? Perhaps a cultural thing, but totally unacceptable to people in the U.S. where it's customers first. Make em happy and they will come back for more. Simple.

Completely happy with my mavic, however without this group, I would be completely frustrated. Every time I have a question or concern, someone else here has already experienced or suffered from the same issue. I wish folks would spend a little more time researching the existing threads, the answer is already out there, instead of starting a new thread. Being a first time bird flier, I can only say, take your time, be consistent, be respectful and most of all read read read. Learn learn learn you WILL have a great experience like I am now, finally.

95% of the people on here are happy with their purchase. I am not surprised with that number. I couldnt be happier with mine it has surpassed my expectations.

yes - happy

The gimbal consists of many parts and only a few are delicate. The flat ribbon cable, the silver stranded cable, and the gimbal plate are most prone to breakage but that is by design. I want those to break before anything else in the gimbal because those are the most expendable parts. The strongest and most expensive parts of the gimbal are the lens body, the gimbal motors, and the circuit boards, all of which can take a hit and still keep working. If you hit it hard enough youre going to break multiple parts, but the cheapest parts break first. I think the gimbal is well designed, and quite durable as long as you dont crash it or cause it too much stress like snap yawing or slamming on the brakes from a full speed sport mode run.

My gimbal motor is what broke... It fell probably 8 feet on it's back onto grass... Any other drone I've had would have laughed at such an event. The Mavic was out of commission for over a month now and it would have been a $700 mistake if not for the $100 plan which made it only a $79 mistake... Hopefully this is not typical, but I'm worried about even carrying this thing around if such a tiny fall can kill it. They definitely need to improve it's resilience considering how popular it is, or at least warn people that if you drop it, it will be enough to destroy it.

I'm worried about even carrying this thing around if such a tiny fall can kill it. They definitely need to improve it's resilience considering how popular it is, or at least warn people that if you drop it, it will be enough to destroy it.

- It's funny how much boils down to one's perception:

This is my first drone. Having never flown one before, I just assumed that since I am buying a $1000 state-of-the-art flying 4K video camera that flies 35 mph up to 4 miles away and 1/2 a mile up while transmitting an HD video signal to my iPad, all by just moving my two thumbs, that if I ever crash it into ANYTHING - it's Game Over.

I have had 2 good crashes so far (both in my first few days) that were significant, but they (luckily) did no damage except for the $10 props --- everything else still works perfectly, with just one good battle scar to show off. Maybe I just got off lucky (probably). So far I've had no gimbal issues, drifting, picture quality issues, firmware issues, performance issues, or disconnection issues whatsoever (knock on wood.) I fly in a big city, I record everything, and I fly in sport mode a lot, just 'cause I love to go fast.

I do have DJI Refresh and State Farm, which hopefully I'll never have to use, and after 150+ flights I've had zero issues with the mavic's performance or reliability.

* No one needs to warn me that this is a financially risky hobby or that this incredible piece of flying technology is complicated and fragile: I knew that before slapping down my $1K. I just take very calculated risks, take every precaution I can, and have prepared for the worst.

Maybe I'm just a "glass-is-half-full" kinda guy. But I do think I'll wait to have my next crash until AFTER DJI Customer Service gets their S*** together. (2021?)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada