DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poll: DJI App Crashing?

Have you experiences the DJI Go app crash on you?

• No, It has never crashed.

Votes: 28 45.9%
  • Yes it has crashed in the past but lately it hasnt crashed on me.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Yes it has crashed before and continues to crash.

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • I cant even get the app to work on my device.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Former Member

Reactions
Im and Android user and I can honestly say that out of 400+ flights, I have never had the Android app crash using several different devices. Seems like Im in the minority, because Ive read a bunch of app crash comments on the forum.

Im just curious as to how often app crashes occur for users of both IOS and Android versions.

Never crashed. I always shut down the phone or tablet first (power off) then back on. I then have an NFC tag that I bump with the device that shuts down every other service except the ones necessary for proper flight and GPS positioning. I have dedicated devices that I uses . App crashes are typically memory related where one app steps on the toes (memory space) of another.

Crashed constantly on my Nexus 6P, running Android 7.1.2. I dedicated my old LG-G2, Android 5.x, with DJI GO 4 and the AirData sync programs (only), and haven't had a crash since.

Reactions: Former Member
The only thing negative I have had with my Mavic was that I had a day where it crashed a number of times on my iPhone 6. Never crashed on my iPad Air 2

Im and Android user and I can honestly say that out of 400+ flights, I have never had the Android app crash using several different devices. Seems like Im in the minority, because Ive read a bunch of app crash comments on the forum.

Im just curious as to how often app crashes occur for users of both IOS and Android versions.

Which devices and android version? I've only used Moto Z Play on 7.0 Nougat with the Mavic, but it crashes no less than 3 times per flight. I previously used mostly a Nexus 9 tablet on 7.0 nougat with a P3P and it didn't crash as often, but it crashed much harder (occasionally requiring a hard reboot of the device).

At least when the Z Play crashes, I can be right back in the camera within 20-30 seconds. Still super annoying to happen 3+ times per flight.

On my vfd900 crashes once or twice during every flight. DJI go 3 used to crashe once every couple of flights. I just bought a cheap iPad mini 2 just to use it as a screen for mavic. I'm sick of having to re connect mid flight or even re set the phone completely.

I flew 2 batteries today. First battery it crashed 3 times. Second battery it didn't crash at all. Nothing changed but the battery. Makes no sense to me. Nvidia shield K1 using latest android. Since I've had the Mavic, go4 has crashed almost every flight using either my Samsung galaxy s7 and the Nvidia. Doesn't seem to matter if I reboot before flight. Thankfully the RC still has control when it does it otherwise I'd be up the creek without a propeller.

Started using only fortnight or so ago - so maybe I missed out on early teething problems. Initially used my Samsung Note 4 - Only used on 8 batteries before changing to an Ipad Mini4 - partly because of lag on Note 4, partly because of scare stories on here (and believe u me it broke my heart to have to buy an Apple product), and mainly because of not wanting to tie up my phone whilst flying - Had only 1 disconnect with Android app, but it reconnected mid flight and all was well. Not had a problem yet with Ipad mini, but hardly used.

Zero app crashes on Note5 both with Marshmallow and Nougat. About 60 flights. I dont change any phone settings or kill any other apps.

On a stock Galaxy Note 4 running Android 5.1, I had several crashes when I first got the Mavic and haven't really used it since bar one flight when my dedicated phone for the Mavic was out of power.

My stock Sony Z Ultra running Android 5.1 has had the odd crash but far fewer the Samsung and since wiping it entirely and only installing DJI Go 4 it's been behaving itself better.

John

Suggest you break this down a bit further and ask the same questions but split it between IOS and Android.....

I was trying to do that when I created the poll, but couldnt figure out how to segregate IOS and Android without the poll being 10 questions long. Any suggestions?

Im really surprised at how many people are experiencing application crashes during flights. Thats not an insignificant number.

Last edited:
I was trying to do that when I created the poll, but couldnt figure out how to segregate IOS and Android without the poll being 10 questions long. Any suggestions?

Im really surprised at how many people are experiencing crashes during flights. Thats not an insignificant number.

I'm not surprised, people without issues at all on Android seem to be extremely rare and the problem is even models that seem to work for one person don't work for others. I've seen people who have said they've never had an issue with their Note 4 and the Mavic but mine was pretty much unusable while I've found other Z Ultra owners who find it unusable it crashes so much while mine generally works well. Also as seen with the Nvidia Shield, a firmware update could take it from very usable to completely unusable. As much as I like Android and dislike Apple, for those reasons I can't recommend Android for the Mavic as the performance is a real gamble.

John

All my flights have been with an S5 Active, S7 active, and Note 5, all with no app crashes. The only problems I have had was to have Litchi and DJI Go installed together on my S5 Active. I could only have one or the other.

Which Android do you have? Do you have USB debug active?

I'm not surprised, people without issues at all on Android seem to be extremely rare and the problem is even models that seem to work for one person don't work for others. I've seen people who have said they've never had an issue with their Note 4 and the Mavic but mine was pretty much unusable while I've found other Z Ultra owners who find it unusable it crashes so much while mine generally works well. Also as seen with the Nvidia Shield, a firmware update could take it from very usable to completely unusable. As much as I like Android and dislike Apple, for those reasons I can't recommend Android for the Mavic as the performance is a real gamble.

John

I'm like you, diehard android.
I have a google pixel phone with latest firmware and always use to crash using DJI GO 4. This is what I did to cure my problem. I have usb debugging and use an app called Greenify which closes all running background apps. Run it now for 2 hours with not one crash.
Greenify is a free app on playstore.

Reactions: Delta3
Android crashes and lags the video - IOS does not. Crashed or froze almost every flight on both my android devices Nexus 5x and Acer tablet. USB debug not enabled. Latest firmware 0600 and DJI Go app. No crashes since switching to iPad Mini 4 a couple of weeks ago.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom