DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poll: Has your recording stopped + gimbal reset mid-flight?

Has you camera stopped recording and gimbal reset during flight?

• No it has never happened to me.

• Yes it has happened, but it was caused by my user settings or SD card.

• Yes it has happened but only rarely.

• Yes it has happened and continues to happen. Help me!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Former Member

Reactions
Taken from an @HSK post

Is there anyone here who has experienced the issue of recording stopping and the gimbal resetting mid-flight?

If it has happened to you, and you found out why, please share your solution.

I have never had that happen, 300+ Mavic flights.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pipes101 and HSK
Thank you for creating this poll. Would be interesting to see the numbers. I've seen alot of people citing this. And then on the other hand there's a majority still who haven't heard anything about it.

I'm guessing really really bad QA from DJI.

I'm on firmware .700 and recording at 4K and during kinda high recording 50-150meter up. Sometimes the mavic I think even flys off on its own. Scary, I remember the first time it happened. I thought something hit my mavic, as the gimbal went crazy, then the flight log showed some control inputs that Im sure I wasn't doing, and trying to review the video to show proof that my mavic had a glitch of some sort the video conveniently stops at 9:02 or so, so that glitch forced the video to stop recording and at the same time cause to gimbal to go crazy and also maybe cause to mavic to move in a direction unintended. I immediately hit return to home. But the gimbal took a few seconds for me to regain access to. then I thought something commendear it, at the same moment of humble not working to controls, then it flew back and landed safely. Suck I can never have a video of the gimbal going crazy every time. And this I think always happens around the 9:12 mark about the time the FAT file size limit is reach for 4K video, not sure if that is part of the reason for the glitch

Reactions: AgPhotoWings
Happened today after completing a POI flight and heading back. Happened around 9:08 or so. 4k and recording stopped close to 4gb file size. Weidy may be onto something. Scared the crap out of me. Thought the Mavic was falling.

installed a new 64gb SD card -- was flying with "windy conditions" warning. switched to sport mode and was manually returning to home point -- since the wind was behind the mavic, speed was at 43+ mph. after reaching home, i turned around 180 degrees -- this is where the gimbal reset. checking the video file on the sd card -- i have 80 and 82, no record of 81. plus the date on video files were 12/2013.

Reactions: Pipes101
I've only had one instance of the 'gimbal reset' problem. According to a DJI rep on RCG a possible solution is to plug your Mavic into a PC running Assistant 2 and refresh the firmware.

installed a new 64gb SD card -- was flying with "windy conditions" warning. switched to sport mode and was manually returning to home point -- since the wind was behind the mavic, speed was at 43+ mph. after reaching home, i turned around 180 degrees -- this is where the gimbal reset. checking the video file on the sd card -- i have 80 and 82, no record of 81. plus the date on video files were 12/2013.

This happens to me a lot in 4K. I lost very good parade footage filming for my Town’s Facebook page because of the Gimbal reset issue and lost plenty of video files. @Thunderdrones

I have done a few days of testing for the camera / gimbal reset mid flight and have an interesting result. I can confirm for me that turning off the cache did not work. What i found was this. Every day for 3 days I did 3 flights in quick succession. The first two days i flew capturing 4K 24/30 FPS and each day the first flight there was no issue. But on the second and third consecutive flight after about 3-5 minutes the camera / gimbal would reset. Once it had reset 1 time it would continue to do it every 1-2 minutes during flight. So after the first 2 days it seemed like an issue with overheating and or data transfer or something related. On the third day I decided my 3 consecutive flights would be in 2.7k 24fps only. The result was the first and second flight no issue whatsoever. On the 3rd flight the gimbal reset but only once the entire time. Again it seems to be perhaps an issue with a component overheating or a data transfer issue or both. I am yet to test multiple sd cards but my card is one of the fastest on the market so I am skeptical it is the card, but we shall see in further testing.

There was a thread about this a while ago and it seems to be happen while recording and a new file has to be started. May also be only with non stock sd card. That's my 2c anyway
Well I got it before any file splits (within a minute even) On different cards.

I think it's various types of issues, that manifest a similar results. That's why there's too much debate and nothing conclusive.

I believe my issue was the cable being damaged in some way.

I've only had one instance of the 'gimbal reset' problem. According to a DJI rep on RCG a possible solution is to plug your Mavic into a PC running Assistant 2 and refresh the firmware.
Could it be that downloading directly of the card; rather than using a cable to download from the aircraft may mess with things???

Could it be that downloading directly of the card; rather than using a cable to download from the aircraft may mess with things???
I can't see how, but I'm a bit out of my comfort zone when it comes to firmware details on these things.

Taken from and @HSK post

Is there anyone here who has experienced the issue of recording stopping and the gimbal resetting mid-flight?

Never had this problem but I have had it skip frames on me while in 4k and focus problems but never in 1080.. I prefer to record in 1080 anyways due to the fact that I don't even have a 4k monitor or TV..

Taken from and @HSK post

Thunder... This just happened to me today on a flight. Scared the crap out of me. Called DJI and the rep said "Interesting... Downgrade your firmware."

Thunder... This just happened to me today on a flight. Scared the crap out of me. Called DJI and the rep said "Interesting... Downgrade your firmware."
Can I ask some questions?

How many total flights do you have?
Has this ever happened before?
Are you on the latest firmware? If so, did this happen on the first flight after you upgraded?

I hate to say it, but DJI's answer is not what I would want them to tell me. DJI insists and sometimes requires us to use the latest firmware due to added safety features and functions. Not sure the person was giving you very good advice. At DJI, you can call 10 times and get 10 different answers. The 10th person you speak to will usually tell you to send it in for repair :)

Can I ask some questions?

How many total flights do you have?
Has this ever happened before?
Are you on the latest firmware? If so, did this happen on the first flight after you upgraded?

I hate to say it, but DJI's answer is not what I would want them to tell me. DJI insists and sometimes requires us to use the latest firmware due to added safety features and functions. Not sure the person was giving you very good advice. At DJI, you can call 10 times and get 10 different answers. The 10th person you speak to will usually tell you to send it in for repair :)

I can't send it for repair because it was a gift and I have no receipt, I just called back.. so I am out of luck there.. Total flights on mine is 142. Never happened before. I am on the latest firmware and this is not the first flight with this firmware.

I was flying, no sun out today, very cloudy. I pressed record, focus, started flying towards my target, I would say it happened after recording for 5 minutes or so. It did not save the video as far as I can tell. I will go over them again in a few minutes. It did not give any warnings or errors the gimbal just did it's reset routine. I landed, noticed that the gimbal still wasn't calibrated properly, like the view was skewed a bit. I did a calibration on the ground and after that it was fine for the next flight... This worries me because when I live in AZ but frequently go to Mexico to visit my wife's family and I fly way beyond VLOS.. I won't be doing this bug is worked out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anchorhavasu