DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Portable HDD/Adapter to dump SD to?

Deckyon

Reactions
What tools are people going to be using to dump their SD cards to when out in the field? I would like to see about finding something that runs off batteries that has an SD reader that you just press a button and it dumps whatever is on the card.

I will be running with 2 cards and will be dumping the data with battery changes, however with being out for a full day, I dont want to risk having the whole session on a single or even 2 cards. We all know how temperamental MicroSD can get.

We just got home from south africa and i didnt want to take too much electronics so all i took was camera and a WD my passport wireless HD. You put your sd card in and it automatically copies it onto th hard drive. No need for anything else. If your worried and want to check it you can read it wirelessly from your phone.

We just got home from south africa and i didnt want to take too much electronics so all i took was camera and a WD my passport wireless HD. You put your sd card in and it automatically copies it onto th hard drive. No need for anything else. If your worried and want to check it you can read it wirelessly from your phone.
So the drive has a card slot right on it and has its own wifi? That is a great solution!

Yep just slide an sd card in. You would need an adaptor as the drone takes a micro sd.

Sounds like a plan. Saw one on Amazon. Will throw it in the wishlist. Thanks!

That is a great design! I see there is a Pro version... anyone have any experience with that version?

What tools are people going to be using to dump their SD cards to when out in the field? I would like to see about finding something that runs off batteries that has an SD reader that you just press a button and it dumps whatever is on the card.

I will be running with 2 cards and will be dumping the data with battery changes, however with being out for a full day, I dont want to risk having the whole session on a single or even 2 cards. We all know how temperamental MicroSD can get.

You schould look into Gnarbox. It's a kockstartet thing but just about ready to ship. Check out gnarbox.com . I'm hoping to get mine soon so i can use it for the same reason as you.

You schould look into Gnarbox. It's a kockstartet thing but just about ready to ship. Check out gnarbox.com . I'm hoping to get mine soon so i can use it for the same reason as you.
Im not sure how thats different from the others discussed here with the exception of the editing part. I personally need my 27" screen to edit properly. Cool though for the right user. I see it is a month past it's target date. :eek:

Interesting, however I need to dump to a drive, not a phone/tablet. I can see easily filling a device over a weekend's worth of shooting. I am leaning at the WD Wireless Drive with the SD slot. Looks to be the best of both, and much quicker on the copy from the SD straight to the HDD, rather than over a wifi connection.

Interesting, however I need to dump to a drive, not a phone/tablet. I can see easily filling a device over a weekend's worth of shooting. I am leaning at the WD Wireless Drive with the SD slot. Looks to be the best of both, and much quicker on the copy from the SD straight to the HDD, rather than over a wifi connection.

I see what you mean.. the granbox only has 128gb so you'll probably fill it up quickly. But it's an alternative:)

I see what you mean.. the granbox only has 128gb so you'll probably fill it up quickly. But it's an alternative:)

Not for $300. The 1TB version of the WD on Amazon is $120. And if I need to copy stuff back and forth from the iPad or iPhone, I still can.

Back in 2011, I bought a Vivanco USB copy bridge. You just plug in a source USB storage device (card reader) and a destination USB storage device and push a button to copy one to the other. Very flexible but very slow and very heavy on batteries.
I did modify mine to allow it to be powered from a USB power bank and that helped.
I'm sure there are better options now.

Sent from my SM-G800H using MavicPilots mobile app

I am going with the WD drive, once the wallet recovers a bit from the drone purchase.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405