DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Portland area pilots

[QUOTE="Anyone want to get together at some point?[/QUOTE]

I am in Wilsonville unfortunately; virtually the entire city is within 5 miles of the Aurora airport. Though I am actually just beyond 5 miles according to Google Earth, DJI Go and the FAA's B4UFly app both say I'm too close. I found a reasonably close park in Tualatin, but after 3 minutes of flying, I was approached by someone who kindly informed me that Tualatin does not allow drone flying in any public parks.

I've had my Mavic a couple weeks, but have spent less than 2 hours flying. The weather hasn't helped either. I would love to get together with others in the Portland area. I see there is a drone-based meetup group: PDXDrones, but I have not made contact yet.

[QUOTE="Anyone want to get together at some point?

I am in Wilsonville unfortunately; virtually the entire city is within 5 miles of the Aurora airport. Though I am actually just beyond 5 miles according to Google Earth, DJI Go and the FAA's B4UFly app both say I'm too close. I found a reasonably close park in Tualatin, but after 3 minutes of flying, I was approached by someone who kindly informed me that Tualatin does not allow drone flying in any public parks.

I've had my Mavic a couple weeks, but have spent less than 2 hours flying. The weather hasn't helped either. I would love to get together with others in the Portland area. I see there is a drone-based meetup group: PDXDrones, but I have not made contact yet.[/QUOTE]
That's interesting was this person a law enforcement officer or a public citizen?
I've looked at several web sights one of them gives height limits in parks and areas in Tualatin and in reading the current laws I believe as long as you're not being a neucense or causing harm or being malicious and following the know before you fly rules.
Not sure what I would have done maybe moved to a different location so as to not cause any more turmoil or stand my ground and risk a fine or at least a stern talking to.
I'm going to look a little more into it for myself..

I've had my Mavic a couple weeks, but have spent less than 2 hours flying. The weather hasn't helped either. I would love to get together with others in the Portland area. I see there is a drone-based meetup group: PDXDrones, but I have not made contact yet.
That's interesting was this person a law enforcement officer or a public citizen?
I've looked at several web sights one of them gives height limits in parks and areas in Tualatin and in reading the current laws I believe as long as you're not being a neucense or causing harm or being malicious and following the know before you fly rules.
Not sure what I would have done maybe moved to a different location so as to not cause any more turmoil or stand my ground and risk a fine or at least a stern talking to.
I'm going to look a little more into it for myself..[/QUOTE]

In Portland you can't fly in any Greenland aka parks including the east and West Bank esplanade etc. according to park rangers who stopped me and nicely told me.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Just got my mavic today. The only airport I live close enough to worry about is the happy valley airport which is closed. Anyone know what the regulations in a closed airport are?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Hi Guys, From Southwest Portland. Have had my Mavic for about a month. Here is a video on default video settings in 2.7K.

I'm going to look a little more into it for myself..

She was a city employee, and could NOT have been nicer about the situation - even suggesting that I might return in an hour since she would be gone by then.

Reactions: Perspectivesailor15
PMP (Portland Mavic Pilot) here, too.
Mavic out for 'refresh' after being slapped by a wave in Hawaii.

I'll be joining from just north of PDX once BB has the unit available again....

Hey guys. My roommate and I both ordered Mavics the day preorder started. Needless to say, I've had the Mavic for months now and fly regularly throughout the Portland area. I've flow/filmed just about every area (aside from airports). Sure, there's a little bit of technique when it comes to remaining unnoticed but it's worked pretty well so far. I enjoy finding different 'areas of focus' on the mavic and diving into the finer details. What effects what/interference, distances, cam settings, different Apps, mapping, ect. Just looking to see if like minded people wanted to link up, compare notes and enjoy the hobby.

Reactions: Imagineimagery
New Mavic pilot here in Hood River. I've been flying homebuilt quads for a few years now. But nothing compares to the Mavic. Did my first autonomous test flight yesterday evening using the Litchi Mission Hub and app.
The video is a quick low res.

If anyone's headed this direction to fly let me know. We've got lots of wide open space.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I live just north of Vancouver, WA. Been flying my Mavic around the last month or so, but the weather hasn't been cooperating much. Anybody that wants to go fly around somewhere when it's not raining -- let me know!!!

PDX guy here (live in Vancouver). Enjoying the Mavic a lot. Kind of bummed learning about the "special surface class E" airspace that goes all the way from the PDX class C edge near the old Evergreen airport clear up to Yacolt!! No problem for a hobby flight. But wreaks havoc for Part 107 ops & business. Working on getting some waivers. But has taken two months just to get the FAA to send me an email that they are "processing" the waiver now... been doing dronebase jobs. But they don't pay squat (average $10 each).
Cheers!! Sam

I live in the Portland area and would like to get together and share info on mavics. I've had mine for a couple months, but all this rain has kept me from flying very much. Still playing around with the flight control options to figure out what settings will work best in different environments. Like orbital tracking, doesn't work so well in high winds and even basic tracking won't keep up with my wife jogging or my golden retriever running around on the beach.

Howdy fellow pilots from pdx!

Been a commercial pilot for a few months now, thought I'd say hello and see how you gents and ladies are enjoying the sun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada