DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Possible bug in firmware when "caught" flying in a restricted area.

jerry2032

Reactions
So DJI's Geo system will prevent you from taking off in or flying into an "Authorization Zone" until you "unlock" the area. Both of these scenarios assume the drone has a GPS signal and can report your location to DJI's geo system. But apparantly if you take off in an AZ and later the GPS signal is acquired while in the air the firmware takes control of your craft and flies it off radially away from the center of the AZ. At least thats been my experience.

After it happened to me the first time I went back the next day to the exact same spot and retraced my every step with the exact same results. No gps signal on the ground, took off to a height of about 3 feet, GPS signal acquired, and then simultaneously I got the AZ message and the drone flew off full throttle.

What concerns me is it flew off without any regard to altitude or obstacles (as it didn't yaw in the direction of flight). It wouldn't let me bring it back to the home point but pulling the stick in the opposite direction stopped its travel, and letting it go it would continue to fly off radially away from the center of the AZ.

Now perhaps there's a different explanation for the Mavic's behavior but I fail to see one. If this is intentional on the part of the firmware then that pretty much sucks! Granted you're flying in a AZ but to cause the craft to fly off to who knows what final destination seems nuts.

Seems like a bug to me. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this but in the meantime do your best to acquire a GPS signal before taking off. Move the drone around if you have to.

I'm pretty sure it's intentional. It's my hypothesis that restricted areas are also the reason you can't manually switch to ATTI if GPS is available.

Sent from my XT1650 using MavicPilots mobile app

I'm pretty sure it's intentional. It's my hypothesis that restricted areas are also the reason you can't manually switch to ATTI if GPS is available.

Sent from my XT1650 using MavicPilots mobile app

Not knowing what distance DJI uses I drove a few blocks radially away from the AZ and flew towards the spot I originally took off from. The Geo system stopped me right across the street from the spot. Perhaps since I was so close to the border of the AZ the software tried to get me outside of it but it begs the question what if i had been a mile within the AZ?

You'd think if it was intentional they would have at least pointed the drone in the direction of travel to avoid obstacles.

It appears the distance is about 1.5 miles from the AZ center.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

If that's indeed what's happening, it certainly seems like a terrible way to respond to the situation. As you've described it, that's a recipe for disaster.

Much better would be for the Mavic to freeze and hover, and then give you a big notification on your screen saying something like "Aircraft in NFZ. Abort flight and land now." and then you should be given a little "wiggle room" in order to be able to bring the Mavic back (maybe speed- and height-limited) to a safe landing spot.

If this is intentional behavior, I would think DJI is opening themselves up to some potential liability. What if the drone flies into another aircraft or flies into a human? Who's at fault? I would suspect there is some shared liability between the pilot who flew it in a forbidden location as well as DJI for 'taking over'.

Reactions: Blades
So DJI's Geo system will prevent you from taking off in or flying into an "Authorization Zone" until you "unlock" the area. Both of these scenarios assume the drone has a GPS signal and can report your location to DJI's geo system. But apparantly if you take off in an AZ and later the GPS signal is acquired while in the air the firmware takes control of your craft and flies it off radially away from the center of the AZ. At least thats been my experience.

After it happened to me the first time I went back the next day to the exact same spot and retraced my every step with the exact same results. No gps signal on the ground, took off to a height of about 3 feet, GPS signal acquired, and then simultaneously I got the AZ message and the drone flew off full throttle.

What concerns me is it flew off without any regard to altitude or obstacles (as it didn't yaw in the direction of flight). It wouldn't let me bring it back to the home point but pulling the stick in the opposite direction stopped its travel, and letting it go it would continue to fly off radially away from the center of the AZ.

Now perhaps there's a different explanation for the Mavic's behavior but I fail to see one. If this is intentional on the part of the firmware then that pretty much sucks! Granted you're flying in a AZ but to cause the craft to fly off to who knows what final destination seems nuts.

Seems like a bug to me. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this but in the meantime do your best to acquire a GPS signal before taking off. Move the drone around if you have to.
I live inside an authorization zone, never have noticed these issues. When I start to take off, it will it will get stuck at a 5m height limit and proclaim "Maximum Flight Altitude reached, and wait for me to check the two boxes and confirm flight. I would be interested to know if you can do that while the drone starts flying away, and if so will that stop the drone?

I know there are several apps for NFZs but which is the best for being on the same page as DJI?

I have been using B4UFly but it doesn't show the same Authorization Zone in the yellow here, just the warning zone: Authorization Zone .png
I wonder if DJI's Geo System Map is found here is available in an app.

Either my GPS is inaccurate or the map is not accurate because I was just outside of the AZ when I took off.
Border of Authorization Zone.png

I know there are several apps for NFZs but which is the best for being on the same page as DJI?

On iOS I use UAV Forecast (here: UAV Forecast on the App Store )

It has a great hour by hour wind and weather prediction. But it also corresponds with the DJI info.

There is a DJI no fly radius and also the altitude restricted radius as per the DJI rules. Check out the screenshot for info. I will add that this map is great for hobby, but doesn't include enhanced class b options for 107 pilots. Love this app for its easy to use hourly forecast.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.PNG
    IMG_0087.PNG
    2.6 MB · Views: 55

Since it took off w/o a GPS location, could it be flying toward a previous, valid home location?

IMO, it is not a safe practice to take off w/o GPS position in the system as it is the basis for RTH. Most especially if you happen "to lose sight of the drone" unintentionally.

Usually GPS is tracking within 30 seconds of power on. No need to start the rotors until GPS is captured.

As to DJI, they could use the cell phone location as an alternate "home" if the GPS was not available at lift off.

Since it took off w/o a GPS location, could it be flying toward a previous, valid home location?

IMO, it is not a safe practice to take off w/o GPS position in the system as it is the basis for RTH. Most especially if you happen "to lose sight of the drone" unintentionally.

Usually GPS is tracking within 30 seconds of power on. No need to start the rotors until GPS is captured.

As to DJI, they could use the cell phone location as an alternate "home" if the GPS was not available at lift off.

I don't believe so. As you can see here it recorded the home point once it acquired a GPS signal. When I can't get a signal on the ground I hover over the home location until a GPS signal is acquired and it will tell the home point has been updated. Here is the first time it happened to me the day before.

On iOS I use UAV Forecast (here: UAV Forecast on the App Store )

It has a great hour by hour wind and weather prediction. But it also corresponds with the DJI info.

There is a DJI no fly radius and also the altitude restricted radius as per the DJI rules. Check out the screenshot for info. I will add that this map is great for hobby, but doesn't include enhanced class b options for 107 pilots. Love this app for its easy to use hourly forecast.
I use it too. Unfortunately it shows a small airport about three miles from my house in the middle of a forest. So confidence is a bit dodgy.

I use it too. Unfortunately it shows a small airport about three miles from my house in the middle of a forest. So confidence is a bit dodgy.

Well I'm sure it's just pulling the data from somewhere. Did you check out the VFR for your area and see if there is a private strip or and old heliport? I've read that there are quite a bit of mistakes on tiny strips

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
I've tried taking off in a no fly zone out of curiosity. The Mavic doesn't take off at all with the iPhone connected.

Without the iPhone connected and before GPS is acquired, it'll take off, but auto land as soon as it acquires satellites.

I have a Phantom 2 with a GoPro as well, that thing doesn't care about no fly zones.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I don't believe so. As you can see here it recorded the home point once it acquired a GPS signal. When I can't get a signal on the ground I hover over the home location until a GPS signal is acquired and it will tell the home point has been updated. Here is the first time it happened to me the day before.

OK, that answers that.

What conditions were you in that you couldn't get a GPS signal? I demonstrated the drone in an alleyway last week, really poor view of the sky and yet it acquired in less than 1 minute. You're showing in a parking lot where GPS should acquire quite quickly.

OK, that answers that.

What conditions were you in that you couldn't get a GPS signal? I demonstrated the drone in an alleyway last week, really poor view of the sky and yet it acquired in less than 1 minute. You're showing in a parking lot where GPS should acquire quite quickly.

Great question. Being new to the Mavic as well as a new pilot I've had more than my fair share of mishaps and I wonder if my GPS receiver has been damaged. Not sure if there is any way to test it. My brother has a new Mavic coming back from DJI (wrecked it on its maiden flight) and I'll have to check his GPS acquisition against mine in a side by side.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR