DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Precision Landing Problem

Gumby Mavic

Reactions
I'm an experienced Mavic, P3P, and P4 pilot, and I had a near miss yesterday with the Precision Landing feature associated with the Mavic Pro.

I flew near dusk as the sun was setting. Did compass cal, all other checks, etc. I took off using the Precision Landing feature. I then flew around and then ultimately did a autopilot return-to-home landing. It came back and proceeded to land appropriately. However, once the Mavic descended to about 30ish feet, it made a rapid and abrupt (7 mph) horizontal movement during its descent. It nearly hit a tree, but I was able to correct by pushing the stick in the opposite direction.

Did this happen because there was a lot less light during my landing compared to when I took off resulting in the Precision Landing feature getting confused as it was "looking" for characteristics of the landing pad?

Should Precision Landing not be used in low light conditions?

This was a little disconcerting as I sometimes take off and land in tighter spots. I don't like the idea that the Mavic could quickly move horizontally during landing when in autopilot. Any input from you is appreciated!

-gumby

Precision Landing uses the downward vision sensors, so yes: it will be less effective in low light.

I often toss down a red light next to takeoff point to serve as a marker (Moon Ring light). Helps me locate position when flying FPV and seems to aid the Mavic too.

Reactions: Gumby Mavic
This is clearly a well documented RTFM issue :)

Now that wasn't very nice, verboten. I did read the manual, but the Precision Landing feature was not a feature when I first got my Mavic. Anyway, thanks for taking your time to reply.

-g.

Reactions: grizzard

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jared69