DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

precision landing protocol question

Rom3oDelta7

Reactions
I've seen in various videos and posts that the Mavic needs to hover over the takeoff point for a while to capture the ground image for precision landing. One post said as long as 10 seconds. I've noticed that there is an announcement on your phone that the GPS location was recorded for RTH when you take off - is there a similar notification that precision landing has what it needs to perform its function? I have not seen one in the videos so far, but most people seem to just start flying immediately without hovering, so not conclusive. Thanks.

Reactions: Fizzle
Per the Mavic manual, there is no need to hover for a specific period of time after taking off. Precision Landing performance is subject to the following conditions:
  • Home point is recorded upon take off, and cannot not be refreshed during flight.
  • Aircraft must take off vertically. Take off altitude must be greater than 10 meters.
  • Home point terrain features remain largely unchanged.
  • Home point terrain with no distinctive features will affect the performance.
  • Lighting conditions cannot be too light nor too dark

Reactions: Budmancan
Thanks. I had read that but assumed, like so many other things in the manual, that it was incomplete. Hopefully we will see soon!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Per the Mavic manual, there is no need to hover for a specific period of time after taking off. Precision Landing performance is subject to the following conditions:
  • Home point is recorded upon take off, and cannot not be refreshed during flight.
  • Aircraft must take off vertically. Take off altitude must be greater than 10 meters.
  • Home point terrain features remain largely unchanged.
  • Home point terrain with no distinctive features will affect the performance.
  • Lighting conditions cannot be too light nor too dark
On what page of the Manual does it say say that take off altitude must be greater than 10 meters? Your answer may explain why my unit makes truly precision landings only about two-thirds of the time.

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
On what page of the Manual does it say say that take off altitude must be greater than 10 meters? Your answer may explain why my unit makes truly precision landings only about two-thirds of the time.

Page 15. Search for "Precision Landing"
Screenshot 2017-02-12 10.28.04.png

Just to clarify, once the point is recorded (before actual takeoff), then you need to ascend to either 30 or 90' (I think I've seen both in various places) and wait for a second additional recording?

No
Just to clarify, once the point is recorded (before actual takeoff), then you need to ascend to either 30 or 90' (I think I've seen both in various places) and wait for a second additional recording?

No. Take off. You will hear a voice telling you home position recorded. Fly vertically-only to over 10m (call it 33 ft, I head to about 34-35 to be sure). I pause there but there's no need to wait for an additional notification.

I've done a lot of testing with this in the last few days, as I had similar question.

If I take off normally, and just ascend straight up to 10+ meters, and then fly away, it's been 100% successful on precision RTH. No waiting or anything special required. I've even rotated on the way up to 10m with no ill effects. Straight up is the key. I've seen other reports of even 4-5m being successful.

I think the more important consideration is a high contrast shape/mat with some unique design that makes the camera easily detect it on descent. I used a black car mat on white snow, and it's been perfect.

So, if I read this correctly there are two things going on at take-off...

Firstly, establishing the Home point. This can happen within seconds of starting the drone and is always announced.

Secondly, acquiring the data needed to do a precision landing. This happens once a vertical ascent to around 10m has ocurred and is not announced.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

If I take off normally, and just ascend straight up to 10+ meters, and then fly away, it's been 100% successful on precision RTH. No waiting or anything special required. I've even rotated on the way up to 10m with no ill effects. Straight up is the key. I've seen other reports of even 4-5m being successful.

I think the more important consideration is a high contrast shape/mat with some unique design that makes the camera easily detect it on descent. I used a black car mat on white snow, and it's been perfect.

Yeah pretty much. That was me who previously posted the videos of the spiral climb working and allowing precision landing.

SPIRAL Take Off - Precision Landing works.

At the time I mentioned the 10m vertical segment not actually being required. Did not post the video though , so here it is in case anyone wants to see. Climb is only to 21' or 6.5 and the Precision Landing process works fine. 10m is still an excellent rule of thumb to use though.

6M take off Altitude- Precision Landing works.

M4RK said:
So, if I read this correctly there are two things going on at take-off...

Firstly, establishing the Home point. This can happen within seconds of starting the drone and is always announced.

Secondly,acquiring the data needed to do a precision landing. This happens once a vertical ascent to around 10m has ocurred and is not announced.

Yes that's about it - with the 10m being a guide.

Last edited:
I've done a lot of testing with this in the last few days, as I had similar question.

What happens if you hand launch?

What he means is you cannot refresh home point in flight and expect Precision Landing to work.

No

No. Take off. You will hear a voice telling you home position recorded. Fly vertically-only to over 10m (call it 33 ft, I head to about 34-35 to be sure). I pause there but there's no need to wait for an additional notification.

I've had my drone for a couple of weeks now. The firmware which I upgraded to two times ago used to announce the setting of the home point and indicate to check it on the map.

I upgraded to the latest version a couple of days ago and I don't get that announcement now. I'm not sure if it's a change in the firmware causing it, something I'm doing different causing it or a setting which may have gotten changed accidentally.

Another factor may be, and this is purely circumstantial, is when flying Litchi FPV at takeoff my head control of the gimbal seems to prevent the gimbal pointing down to record the takeoff point which seems to make the precision landing not so precise.

Another factor may be, and this is purely circumstantial, is when flying Litchi FPV at takeoff my head control of the gimbal seems to prevent the gimbal pointing down to record the takeoff point which seems to make the precision landing not so precise.

Same would seem to be true of landing, while flying FPV I likely prevent the gimbal from pointing down to acquire the landing spot

Same would seem to be true of landing, while flying FPV I likely prevent the gimbal from pointing down to acquire the landing spot

From what I have read it is the two bottom facing cameras that take the pictures for precision landing, not the one on the gimbal.

That would be awesome if we could confirm that. When I fly with dji go drone lands within inches of takeoff point, obviously not using goggles but with litchi it's often off by anywhere from a foot or two to up to 10 feet.

I've had my drone for a couple of weeks now. The firmware which I upgraded to two times ago used to announce the setting of the home point and indicate to check it on the map.

I upgraded to the latest version a couple of days ago and I don't get that announcement now. I'm not sure if it's a change in the firmware causing it, something I'm doing different causing it or a setting which may have gotten changed accidentally.

Make sure you don't accidentally have the volume turned down. I had that and was wondering where the announcement went, it was my volume! (simple fix). I haven't flown since the latest update came down, will check it when I fly next.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929