DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Premiere Pro Seems To Take The 'Edge' Off

ncameron

Reactions
I decided to get Adobe Premiere Pro to enable me to edit better drone videos. But I am somewhat disappointed with the first two videos rendered by Premiere - they appear to unsharpen and/or unfocus the detail in the video somewhat.
Am I doing something wrong?

I use Premiere Pro and mine look really great. However you can't just put it all in, edit the clip, and then export and expect it to look great. You need to do some adjustment to the contrast and sharpen the image a bit. It doesn't matter what editor you use, you always get some loss of quality when you compress into different formats so you need to compensate for that in Premiere. Also when you create your project in Premiere Pro, make sure you have the project set at the same resolution as what you shot the video in. I have Premiere set so that it automatically creates my project to match the format and resolution of the first clip that I pull in. If you aren't sure how to do all of this there are a ton of how to videos out there on Youtube.

I use Premiere Pro and mine look really great. However you can't just put it all in, edit the clip, and then export and expect it to look great. You need to do some adjustment to the contrast and sharpen the image a bit. It doesn't matter what editor you use, you always get some loss of quality when you compress into different formats so you need to compensate for that in Premiere. Also when you create your project in Premiere Pro, make sure you have the project set at the same resolution as what you shot the video in. I have Premiere set so that it automatically creates my project to match the format and resolution of the first clip that I pull in. If you aren't sure how to do all of this there are a ton of how to videos out there on Youtube.

Thanks for that, I will look up the videos; as a quick hint though, can you tell me how to have Premiere set so that it automatically creates my project to match the format and resolution of the first clip that I pull in please?

What settings are you using to export the video from Premiere? File format, output size, compression, etc...

Yes; that might not have helped. It went in as PAL and went out as NTSC!
I'll redo them...

If you have an older version that asks deep questions about sequence settings, just ignore (cancel) that window and make 'new sequence from clip'.
At the export stage you can match the inputs, however go through the list as some can be not always as expected.
Select the H.264 option usually.

Premiere's youtube outputs are a decent start point but older versions might have bitrate default too low.
If starting with 4K or 2.7K you might export 1080 at about 20.
However bitrate is a major factor in final file size so don't go too high.
Best to use 'Frame Blending' mode too IMO.

If you have an older version that asks deep questions about sequence settings, just ignore (cancel) that window and make 'new sequence from clip'.
At the export stage you can match the inputs, however go through the list as some can be not always as expected.
Select the H.264 option usually.

Premiere's youtube outputs are a decent start point but older versions might have bitrate default too low.
If starting with 4K or 2.7K you might export 1080 at about 20.
However bitrate is a major factor in final file size so don't go too high.
Best to use 'Frame Blending' mode too IMO.

Thanks - that is a GREAT help...

OK, guys. So I eventually found the Match Source option under H.264, and set Bit Rate to 20 - all good. And the output is much clearer. But, oddly, it still comes out as NTSC, and I'm sure I had it set to PAL, but that option is greyed out under the Basic Video Settings...

I'm shooting at 2,7K and using the AE from Adobe and the videos are great!!! Now I'm thinking to try the Premiere Pro...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+