DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Previous phantom owner - any tips/tricks for landing+takeoff?

kaitlyn

Reactions
I previously owned a phantom 4 and just got a mavic - haven't flown it yet! Wondering what tips you guys have for launching or landing from uneven ground or sandy areas?

With my phantom, I would sometimes put it on the backside of my backpack lying down. Because of the smaller landing gear footprint, this was relatively easy. The mavic touches the ground much further out, and this is harder. Plus, the actual clearance is far less

Landing I mostly landed on the ground but got comfortable with hand catching which again was made easier due to the landing gear. Seems far more dangerous to try and grab the mavic? Again, far less clearance...

So what do you guys do in these situations where you don't have a flat ground or too much dust/sand to spin up?

You could hand launch or launch from some type of platform or large landing pad if the ground is flat.

Seems far more dangerous to try and grab the mavic?
Yes, I think it's more dangerous since the props will be very close to your hand. It's not impossible to do though if you're careful. Here are a few examples showing how to hand catch:

Won't have a launching pad/area. Thinking of times where I'll be hiking around mountainous regions and halfway up, for example, might be rather rocky/uneven terrain with only a footpath

Won't have a launching pad/area. Thinking of times where I'll be hiking around mountainous regions and halfway up, for example, might be rather rocky/uneven terrain with only a footpath

Just place your right hand under the Mavic & move the left stick all way down. The Mavic will go up slightly when it senses your hand but then slowly drops into your hand & shuts off. No need to grab it & the motors don't rev up. I used to use the auto landing feature but I've decided this is the easiest method.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada