DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Processing Mavic DNGs

pcalvin

Reactions
I was surprised to see a fair amount noise in the sky in the first DNGs I processed with Adobe Camera Raw. I was concerned that the image quality was not going to be sufficient for my commercial work. However, I processed them again using Phase One's Capture One 10 (The applications I use for Nikon RAW files) and the noise was greatly reduced, producing usable results.

Seems fine for basic shots. The "warm spot" can be a pain to deal with. DJI explained that this is due to the optics' rear surfaces being so close to the sensor chip that the incoming light angle can cause some color/filter shifting. The onboard MOV/JPG conversion counteracts most of the effect but DNG will show it worst in medium to strong lighting conditions.

Hello pcalvin,
I have the Mavic Air (MA) on order and I am trying to figure out how I can use it with Capture One. Is there a MA profile? How will Capture One know how to pre-process the DNG from MA?
Regarding the "warm spot" (I read in multiple sources), do you have any tips (or presets) on how to counter it?
Thanks.

Capture One should read any DNG as it is an not a camera dependent format like nefs, orfs, and cr2s. The warm spot was a Mavic Pro issue that was cured with a firmare update a while back. You can download a 30 trial of Capture One to test be for you buy. Lightroom has profiles for the Mavic Pro camera, but not the Air as yet. There is no optical correction for DJI cameras in Capture One, but you can make manual corrections.

Thanks so much for the info. I personally have used and like Capture One. I have the Sony Pro version, so I would need to upgrade to the full Pro version to be able to load non-Sony files. As to "corrections", I have a ColorChecker Passport. I have not used it on my Sony DSLR as the factory profile is really good. After doing a bit more research, I think I can follow the procedure to create a new profile. Last time I read it it seemed somewhat complicated, but I think I can manage to get it done. Thanks again for writing back, best wishes.

for noise i use "noisless"from macphun, also i use luminar from them as well they have some dji profiles and the resluts are stunning, the noiseware is like nothing i have seen before,

Thanks genesimmons for the suggestion! The packages you suggested look to be outstanding. Unfortunately I do not own a Mac and don't think this software is available in Windows. Bummer... Thanks anyway for sharing your experience!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots