Prop balancing on the folding propellers

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by GriffDawg, Oct 20, 2016.

1. GriffDawg

GriffDawg Member

Will this still be possible? I can't think of how you could effectively balance them if they aren't perfectly inline with eachother.

2. Advexure

Advexure Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

Los Angeles, CA - New York, NY - Sheboygan, WI
    Valid discussion. DJI has been using folding props on all of the larger units for years and we've always found them to be near perfectly balanced from the factory and have never found them needing further balancing. Just found this discussion over on RCG that will provide some additional insight as well: do i have to balance a folding prop? and how? - RC Groups

3. DefaultIT

DefaultIT Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this too...even found that same thread (which btw is about a slightly different kind of of folding prop...blades pivot on a different axis). The process would ordinarily be closer to that of RC heli blades, but is complicated by the fact that these are both riveted into the hub and aren't constant chord (can't be aligned on a straight edge).

I think it may ultimately be a project for some enterprising 3D printers if it turns out to be needed, and that we live with however good they are from the factory in the meantime.

4. Advexure

Approved Vendor

I really don't see that balancing will be a problem. We've had hundreds of flights between the S900, S1000 and M600 which all have folding props from DJI. Have always put them on a balancer when setting them up and have not found balance problems. Hopefully we'll find the same situation with the Mavic :)

DefaultIT likes this.
  5. DefaultIT

DefaultIT Well-Known Member

Good to hear... Are you just straightening them by hand when you do that?

6. Advexure

Approved Vendor

Correct. Judging "straightness" by the eye. You can see pretty easily how well the plastic shaft of the prop is lined up into the hub to ensure they are straight.

7. Advexure

Approved Vendor

Since folding props are new to most on this forum I will also mention that they straighten by centrifugal force as the props accelerate.

#7 Advexure, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  8. Slat

Slat Member

Advexure likes this.
  9. Advexure

Approved Vendor

It's been awhile since 12th grade Physics and I was going to look up to the two to refresh myself on which one is which but went with my gut feeling. Thanks for the correction.

Slat likes this.
  10. Slat

Slat Member

Going back to the propellers, I think the only and best way is to perform a dynamic balancing.

Something similar they do with helicopters blades. And is not an easy task.

Another way is found a way to keep them straight and aligned, and use a fixed propeller balancer. Widely used on RC aircraft. Won't be perfect but may be useful to return to flight condition a slight damaged prop.

Only one final consideration: I would buy a new one no risking a really expensive craft. After all the propellers are not a expensive part.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

11. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

I've tried albeit much larger folding props without a lot of success: Product Review ** DJI 1552 Folding Propeller"]Product Review ** DJI 1552 Folding Propeller

Size is obviously a major factor here so I don't imagine the small Mavic props will be an issue..