DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop Guards?

kmaluo

Reactions
Anyone know if prop guards will be able to be installed in the future? Would be useful for inspecting towers, nooks and crannies etc. Especially if DJI adds a manual ATTI mode.

I'll be surprised if an aftermarket solution for this doesn't pop up eventually, but I think you're in for a little bit of a wait

I wonder if there's any indentations on the Mavic arms where guards could easily be snapped on.

I really don't think we'll see a set of prop guards from DJI on the Mavic. Given the portability of the unit and the folding arms, there's something inside my head that would find it surprising to see prop guards on the Mavic. With that being said, it would not be surprising to see a 3rd party Prop Guard option.

Have you seen the videos of Mavics being flow into trees and building and then recovering? It appears that it has some amazing abilities to right itself and keep on flying. Yes one would like to avoid testing those limits , but its nice to know that when it hit something it does not just fall like a brick. The weight of the Mavic obviously has alot to do with that.

Have you seen the videos of Mavics being flow into trees and building and then recovering? It appears that it has some amazing abilities to right itself and keep on flying. Yes one would like to avoid testing those limits , but its nice to know that when it hit something it does not just fall like a brick. The weight of the Mavic obviously has alot to do with that.
Yup I've seen then. You need several feet under you for leveling correction. And that's assuming you don't damage a prop. However guards let you continously make contact with objects. Add that to the new focusing options and you've got a great portable inspection drone.

Reactions: Advexure
Ahhhhh yes. Was waiting for someone to be looking for prop guards. Seems like a really bad idea on aircraft this small. Which is the reason it flips ride side up in the video. It physics. Seems like the center of gravity is much higher than with the bigger AC. Im not certain about the technical term some person who has had a physics class this decade could state it better but I'm thinking you would really be asking for trouble to put them on.. but I know it will be done..

[popcorn]

Ahhhhh yes. Was waiting for someone to be looking for prop guards. Seems like a really bad idea on aircraft this small. Which is the reason it flips ride side up in the video. It physics. Seems like the center of gravity is much higher than with the bigger AC. Im not certain about the technical term some person who has had a physics class this decade could state it better but I'm thinking you would really be asking for trouble to put them on.. but I know it will be done..

[popcorn]
I've had several micro drones with varying COG and prop guards. No issues at all besides slightly diminished thrust.

Like I said it will be interesting.

I believe that when you put prop guards on the P4 it disables VSS. No OA to the front. I would imagine that the Mavic would have similar algorithms.
Yet another reason to steer away from prop guards.

Agreed. Clearly there are legitimate use cases for prop guards...the impacts to handling are insignificant and they'd only be used when needed.

Not to mention the folding props :)

Im sure someone can make the prop guards like Bo has in his videos demonstating the Breeze.. its props are similar.. see the pic.. props.PNG

Sorry I meant to protect the props.. not to fly with..

Reactions: kmaluo
Just say NO to prop guards!!
I bought a set of prop guards for my P3A when I first purchased it and opted for the removable kind. They sat nicely in the same package they arrived in... Never needed prop guards...

However.... Since the Mavic is already touted as being much better as an indoor drone, this might mean some would be more comfortable with prop guards. The props do fold though so... But really, I doubt even if someone figures it out I will ever entertain the thought.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98