DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Propeller comes off mavic pro

Some more details would be great! How many hours on the MP? Had the props been off recently? Pre-Flight check complete? Did you find the missing prop? Tell us you have DJI refresh!?

Or, if you happen to have a "small gak", i.e., minor crash, where all still looks ok, Gimbal looks/functions ok, but you have to look at the locking tabs on the prop assy's. CLOSELY.
Probably best to just toss 'em and replace with a new pair/set. A small investment to help protect your UAV, and other folks/pets/cars etc., etc., etc.......

Has anyone had a propeller come off mid flight?
YES....very bad thing. On my second flight with Mavic up at about 40ft, it all of a sudden went crazy. It was no longer flat and level, but had a large angle and began flying across and down at a 45 degree angle over my garage. It crashed in the driveway on the concrete...Ouch! I had the gimbal plastic protective cover on while in flight, but noticed some good scratches on camera/gimbal and when powered up again had a "gimbal motor overload" warning. Need to figure that out. The front left leg was disengaged from the body with the square pivot shaft still in place. The leg was not cracked so I really don't know how it came apart and remained so intact. I have since put the leg back in place, but it is not 100%.20171122.jpg

This happened to me as well. One of the rear props seemed to bind during installation. I rotated the motor to lock but I beleive the spring was not forcing it into the locked position. Got up about 100 Feet and if came off. I saw it fluddering away from the drone as it came crashing down. I found the prop, it's in perfect condition. I bought parts and am having Expert Drones do the repair in Alexandria, VA.

Attachments

• 20171226_170506.jpg
    20171226_170506.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 59
Props only come off for one of two reasons.
  1. The prop wasn't secured onto the motor correctly. Usually indicated if the prop is still in perfect condition if found.
  2. The prop failed. Usually indicated if the prop is missing one of the three prongs.

yes, I think it my installation that caused the problem but I am surprised it would get 100 feet in the air before coming off. I beleive it was in the "locked" position but not acted upon by the spring to hold it there and it eventually spun off.

Has anyone had a propeller come off mid flight?
The rear right prop came off of mine!! This was my very first flight since brand new. I took off,hovered for a bit about 15' up and it came down fast!! I searched everywhere and finally found the prop unscathed. No damage to the mavic thank goodness(I was flying in a field with tallish grass). Sooooo, I had a good close look at the prop and what I found was that it fit fairly tightly over the center shaft of the motor so it was kind of binding up on it and not being allowed to be pushed up completely by the spring. My solution was to swap it with the front left as everything seemed to fit up alot better. These are just production tolerances I suppose but I will be sure to check for proper engagement of the locks before every flight!! We can't take anything for granted with these things as drones are rapidly getting a bad name in the gta area of Ontario as it is without one of these coming down fast and doing damage.

Yes, Mine fell off from 200ft and the drone was toast..

..and I swear I had checked that the propellers were secured correctly..

wish DJI had some sort of binary check mechanism. that is either it checks that propellers are secured correctly and flies or it won't take off

DJI Mavic Spiraled out of Control , crashed and destroyed
I have the same issue. They said I didn't secured the propeller; even if not secured, because the propellers are designed to pe installed against the motor rotation, inertia will lock them in when you start the motors. Is basic physics. Try if you can with a MP, to leave a propeller unlocked, but still on the hub, start the motors for 2 seconds, stop them and check the propeller's position. It's always locked.
Or, if I'm wrong with something, can someone explain me how it actually works? DJI is just asking me money for repair but they are not telling me how a propeller can come off with this design. From their graphs (just they have initial acces) it can be a motor failure, electronic board.
I'm surprised nobody test this feature, or said something about it. The propeller locks by itself even if you didn't clicked it, when you start the drone. Test it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dazzer71
... inertia will lock them in when you start the motors. Is basic physic...
Since you are required to push down and turn to lock the props, inertia alone will not lock them for you.

If you change direction or stop, causing the motor to slow down, the inertia in the prop could cause it to back off if not fully locked. There are many videos showing screw-on type props coming off even though the direction of spin should keep them on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Odom1957
Since you are required to push down and turn to lock the props, inertia alone will not lock them for you.

If you change direction or stop, causing the motor to slow down, the inertia in the prop could cause it to back off if not fully locked. There are many videos showing screw-on type props coming off even though the direction of spin should keep them on.

I did the tests by starting and then stopping after a few seconds. No lifting, no hoovering, no manoeuvres. All the time the propeller was secured - on idle (everything goes more secured on higher rpm). So it clicks straight away and in my opinion it overwrites your theory. I was thinking before at this, about manoeuvres, compensating the wind speed, obstacles, etc. But in the first split second, on every test the propeller is secured in the recess. My drone was hoovering on open space with perfect weather and after 8 seconds it dropped.
Anyway, thanks for reply.

I did the tests by starting and then stopping after a few seconds. No lifting, no hoovering, no manoeuvres. All the time the propeller was secured - on idle (everything goes more secured on higher rpm). So it clicks straight away and in my opinion it overwrites your theory. I was thinking before at this, about manoeuvres, compensating the wind speed, obstacles, etc. But in the first split second, on every test the propeller is secured in the recess. My drone was hoovering on open space with perfect weather and after 8 seconds it dropped.
Anyway, thanks for reply.
I don't know what to tell you besides that I have sympathy for your loss. I am not a aeronautical engineer or an expert on props, I am just going off personal experience. If the props are confirmed to be locked into position I do now know how they could come off unless there is a defect. You did not mention what condition the prop that came off was in. Did you recover the prop and did it show any damage?

I don't know what to tell you besides that I have sympathy for your loss. I am not a aeronautical engineer or an expert on props, I am just going off personal experience. If the props are confirmed to be locked into position I do now know how they could come off unless there is a defect. You did not mention what condition the prop that came off was in. Did you recover the prop and did it show any damage?
I recovered them. 3 damaged, 1 of them really messed up by the impact, the one that was on the broken front arm, and one ok. Now I just realised that they quoted for 3 arms to be replaced, but just one was dangling.
I'm frustrated because what they are telling me like a broken record is that the propeller was incorrectly installed, no waranty; and when I reply them they are ignoring the fact that I tested other drones by not installing the propeller up to the end, they don't explain me how it poped out, but they send me a graph with an arrow pointing at a certain moment, with the text "here propeller came off". That's imature in my opinion. The prices for these drones are reflecting mostly the research, not the materials and labour. I was expecting a explanation, and you actually tried to do this more than those guys. The drone is with them for 3 weeks now, they gave me a discount, I refused it, the case escalated to a different team (probably), but every time when I bring arguments I have to wait minimum 2 days for a lame answer. If so simple, I don't get why they don't explain it.

I recovered them. 3 damaged...
If the undamaged one is the one that came off in flight, and the motor it came from has a functioning locking mechanism, then I doubt you will win your case. Perhaps by sheer persistence and an unwillingness to accept their findings, they will give you a better offer. Good luck!

If the undamaged one is the one that came off in flight, and the motor it came from has a functioning locking mechanism, then I doubt you will win your case. Perhaps by sheer persistence and an unwillingness to accept their findings, they will give you a better offer. Good luck!
Thank you.
I'm not a dodgy man, I know what personal responsibility is, and I'm not looking for freebies. I will update.
Also just the knackered one was detached from the drone.
Thanks again.

We seem to have hijacked the OP. I hope Vortechs is getting something out of this.
...I'm not a dodgy man...
I am not casting doubts on your integrity, I am just trying to learn as much as possible from these events.
...Also just the knackered one was detached from the drone...
Ok, now you may have a case although I don't know how you will prove it. I was assuming the undamaged prop was the one that detached in flight and the others were damaged in the crash but you state that the detached prop was the most damaged. I am now assuming that the detached prop was at the crash site and the crash is what caused it to detach. The normal action of a detached prop is to spin up and away, landing nowhere close to the crash and undamaged (or barely so). Perhaps these arguments will help you with your discussions with DJI.

Since I have sunk to the level of guesswork, I think I will bow out now and just wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest