DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Props

• Thread starter Deleted member 1189
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1189

Do you guys leave your props on all the time or take them off after each flight?

I guess what I'm asking is... is it ok for the spring to be compressed all the time?

Agreed no reason to wear them out by removing things. Just check to make sure they are secured before each flight.

Seconded, I leave them on but give them a little wiggle/feel before each flight to ensure they're secure & don't have any damage.

The real question is "How long do they last?" There is movement in those propellers due to the way they fold and centrifugal force keeping them open. The good thing is very little movement. They generally only pivot on start up once they are open they don't budge. Not much movement so I doubt it'll be an issue but definitely something to recognize and be aware of. I will be replacing mine if they get loose by the pivots (wobble) where they spread or once a year. A fresh set will feel tighter than a used set. That's normal. I'd make sure you have a complete set on hand although if the issue ever comes up.

I'd say if you have play where the propeller spreads meaning it moves up and down freely replace. Open an close is okay. There are two pivots on each blade. I'd only remove the actual propellers for an IMU calibration cleaning the motor base etc. Or maybe to make sure it doesn't accidentally fly indoors

Use warm water and a soft towel to clean every so often. They are balanced so you want to make sure they are clean of debris etc. Don't use cleaner on the props the plastic is meant to be strong but also somewhat brittle so they brake before causing damage. A chemical may weaken it.

I'll have a Tune Up sheet for the Mavic Soon. Calibrations and Propeller Checks and replacement will be unavoidable with use. But it's pretty rock solid as far as everything else I can see.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Do you think it is ok for the tension spring to be pushed in all of the time?

If it wasn't designed to be left on, I'm pretty sure there would be something in he manual stating to remove them when not in use.
I leave mine on.

I'm pretty sure there would be something in he manual stating to remove them when not in use
The manual does not mention this. It does suggest to check them for damage and proper installation prior to each flight though.

OMG - what people come up with is beyond imagination.
Guys, just use your toy, don't over-complicate everything.
Of course the props are made to stay on.
And of course the pivots will move during flight pretty much all the time at least slightly. That is, when the motor changes its speed (which in a quadrocopter happens all the time), the blade will pivot slightly due to its inertia.
Don't worry. Just use it. If the props wear at some point, exchange them - they are wear parts.

Reactions: M4RK and halley
Unannounced/instant power up doesn't seem to be an issue with the Mavic, plus travel without battery plugged in and you'll be fine. No reason to take them off.

I'm a mechanical engineer and I say yes it's ok to leave the spring compressed.
I am not a mechanical engineer and I say what he says ^

Reactions: Egika
One more issue regarding props that a colleague and I were discussing is that many people don't open their props prior to starting the drone. We think that the low speed vroom vroom at start up is designed to open the props as well as let you know it's awake. I always open my props prior to this as it puts less out of balance rotation on the motor bearings as they unfold. Overkill? Likely, but the engineer in me wants to reduce load and wear when ever possible. This is ironic because, as an engineer, we often perform destructive testing where we push designs to failure. Often times through intentional but measured abuse. Breaking stuff I don't have to pay for is fun.

We think that the low speed vroom vroom at start up is designed to open the props

No. Not if you're talking about the twitch on all four motors when you power on. It is an electrical test to ensure all of the motor windings are intact. Give each coil a little buzz and monitor the current feedback.

Reactions: Pushpak
The real question is "How long do they last?" There is movement in those propellers due to the way they fold and centrifugal force keeping them open. The good thing is very little movement. They generally only pivot on start up once they are open they don't budge. Not much movement so I doubt it'll be an issue but definitely something to recognize and be aware of. I will be replacing mine if they get loose by the pivots (wobble) where they spread or once a year. A fresh set will feel tighter than a used set. That's normal. I'd make sure you have a complete set on hand although if the issue ever comes up.

I'd say if you have play where the propeller spreads meaning it moves up and down freely replace. Open an close is okay. There are two pivots on each blade. I'd only remove the actual propellers for an IMU calibration cleaning the motor base etc. Or maybe to make sure it doesn't accidentally fly indoors

Use warm water and a soft towel to clean every so often. They are balanced so you want to make sure they are clean of debris etc. Don't use cleaner on the props the plastic is meant to be strong but also somewhat brittle so they brake before causing damage. A chemical may weaken it.

I'll have a Tune Up sheet for the Mavic Soon. Calibrations and Propeller Checks and replacement will be unavoidable with use. But it's pretty rock solid as far as everything else I can see.

Wow....I think I'm going to have to agree with Egika, just enjoy the Mavic and don't think too much into it.

No. Not if you're talking about the twitch on all four motors when you power on. It is an electrical test to ensure all of the motor windings are intact. Give each coil a little buzz and monitor the current feedback.

I guess I wasn't super clear. I'm not talking about the slight twitch at power up but the vroom vroom when you pull the sticks in and down to start it.

Paul Aiken of Drone U recommends changing props after just 10 hours of operation. That seems a bit excessive to me but I suppose it's cheap insurance if you're flying a $5000 Inspire 2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS