DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PULSATING EDGES OR FLICKERING LINES IN VIDEO

MrMavic

Reactions
OK, before commenting, yes I tried to find other thread on this, but no luck because I forgot what they call this affect.
I have been pretty hard on DJI and the quality of video from the Mavic, but I am starting to realize that the Mavic is capable of fairly decent video if we spend enough time on learning how to set up the camera. I spent the entire week end on trying different settings to get better video results, and I have been getting much better results now.
I still have not figured out why I'm getting the flickering lines and edges in my videos. I know there are ways to reduce or eliminate this, but have not figured it out quite yet. If anyone knows how to stop this from happening, I'm all ears.

You're not talking about light flicker (wrong hz) or propeller shadows right?

No, I know what you're talking about there.
I'm talking about the edges of buildings, fences, trees, telephone poles and other vertical lines flickering while filming at 90 degrees and flying sideways. You can see a little bit of it here on the windows of the brown house. This is a mild example of it. It gets real bad on things like the straight lines on metal roof, picket fences and other straight lines. It turns a decent video into garbage.
Click on the MY Movie 1 title to enlarge.

Last edited:
What are the specs it was shot at? Also, is that the raw footage or has that been edited and resaved?

Also with only just a quick look it looks like you are flying quite quick - is it the same when flying at low speeds?

Camera Settings: 2.7K / Manual ISO Cloudy / 30 FPS / SS 60 / Color None / Style 1-0-0
In that short clip cut I was flying back home, but the rest of the video I was flying slow 3- 5 MPH. I have painfully slow internet at 12MPS so I had very slow uploading. This was processed in iMovie and uploaded. No changes were Mae as far as editing or color grading. I'll load a part where it does this strobing on the RR Tracks. It's a common thing but I just cannot remember what it's called. It's like a pixelating on the sharp lines.

OK, before commenting, yes I tried to find other thread on this, but no luck because I forgot what they call this affect.
I have been pretty hard on DJI and the quality of video from the Mavic, but I am starting to realize that the Mavic is capable of fairly decent video if we spend enough time on learning how to set up the camera. I spent the entire week end on trying different settings to get better video results, and I have been getting much better results now.
I still have not figured out why I'm getting the flickering lines and edges in my videos. I know there are ways to reduce or eliminate this, but have not figured it out quite yet. If anyone knows how to stop this from happening, I'm all ears.
Called "moire/aliasing"

Reactions: Robbyg
No, I know what you're talking about there.
I'm talking about the edges of buildings, fences, trees, telephone poles and other vertical lines flickering while filming at 90 degrees and flying sideways. You can see a little bit of it here on the windows of the brown house. This is a mild example of it. It gets real bad on things like the straight lines on metal roof, picket fences and other straight lines. It turns a decent video into garbage.
Click on the MY Movie 1 title to enlarge.

Quick question for you - this video footage appears to be shot on an 'overcast' day - how does your videos look 'to you' on bright/sunny days?

(Although I am not a professional videographer - honestly this short video clip looked fine to me!)

You have your sharpness set to 1, that can definitely cause moire/aliasing. Try setting it to -1 and see if it helps. I was getting it at 0 in some locations (especially over water).

You have your sharpness set to 1, that can definitely cause moire/aliasing. Try setting it to -1 and see if it helps. I was getting it at 0 in some locations (especially over water).
After extensive research I found that I cannot set the sharpness below +1 because the built in de-noiser kicks in and ruins my video. I have tested it and it's true. At 0 or under, I have patches of out of focus data on my videos.
On the question about whether the video was shot on a cloudy or sunny day, it's the same effect either way. Here's a short clip shot with the sun shining. Look at the windows on the yellow house as I fly by. The camera settings were the same as in the first video.

Last edited:
Ok after a little research I see now what you're referring to. I do know a lot of people on this forum and over on RCG have their sharpness set to -1 with great results.

Last edited:
I agree, when the noise filter kicks in it causes green objects to get mushy (loose all detail). I'll bet you 10:1 the other effect you are seeing is because you have your color set to "none". Try "True" if you don't want to do color grading. "None" causes very saturated colors and injects the artifact you have mentioned; I've had it until I switched to "True". Now to set sharpness to +1 to get rid of that horrible noise filter and my video capture will be perfect.

That's the exact affect the noise filter has on my videos. It goes away when I set the sharpness to +1. It comes back in when I set it to 0, so I'm convinced that was my mushy spot problem. I'm going to try the true color setting and if I want more saturation I can set that to +1 as well. Most Mavic owners don't realize the Mavic has a noise filter that kicks in at 0, It's a poor one at that.

Last edited:
While I found setting to +1 helps, you can still see heavy noise filtering (if that's what it is) in certain lower light situations or in shadows.

Reactions: Marco Cantieni
Low light is expected to loose sharpness / detail with this little sensor

Hello,
I wish to make a film documenting the process of the construction of a building
i started taking pictures and videos with my new mavic pro.
in some cases the quality of the video turns out really bad!
this video was shot at 3840*2160 fps 30

Last edited:
For starters, it's about two stops underexposed. Impossible to give you any other response without further details on your ISO, style settings, etc.

Reactions: zivco
For starters, it's about two stops underexposed. Impossible to give you any other response without further details on your ISO, style settings, etc.
Are those details you mentioned being saved along with the flight data so i can share them?
as far as i remember this video was taken on auto mode with factory setting
thank you

I've been experiencing the same thing. You'll notice the moire in the vertical lines in the trees as well as the horizontal lines in the homes. (This is a very bad, unedit, clip - not even sure why I shot it in portrait mode)

Details: 24fps, 100iso at 1/50 with ND8 filter hoping it would go away. Cloudy WB, d-cinelike, -1,-1,-1 custom setting.

Any thoughts on a fix?

I've been experiencing the same thing. You'll notice the moire in the vertical lines in the trees as well as the horizontal lines in the homes. (This is a very bad, unedit, clip - not even sure why I shot it in portrait mode)

Details: 24fps, 100iso at 1/50 with ND8 filter hoping it would go away. Cloudy WB, d-cinelike, -1,-1,-1 custom setting.

Any thoughts on a fix?
Hey DV I experienced similar results until I went with +1 -2 -2 d-cinelike. The rest of your settings/ND filter looks good. Here is a link to some footage taken after I made the changes. This footage was uploaded as 2.7K 24fps and is best viewed at 1080P-1440P via YouTube I have noticed a lot of buzzing and dot crawl if viewed at lower resolutions.

Last edited:
Hey DV I experienced similar results until I went with +1 -2 -2 d-cinelike. The rest of your settings/ND filter looks good. Here is a link to some footage taken after I made the changes. This footage was uploaded as 2.7K 24fps and is best viewed at 1080P-1440P.

Thanks! I'll give it a try and see if that helps.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98