DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Purple Tint seems standard on sunny days

KiterTodd

Reactions
Does anyone else notice that the image color is very artificial looking on sunny days?
Cloudy days look better. Shot in sun today and it was just very artificial looking.
I set the white balance to Cloudy or Sunny as needed. Don't use auto. I think my EV is down a stop or two. Everything else is default.

I have seen a few of the image quality youtube videos, but most of them are on exposure compensation and post processing. Any tips for getting true color out of the Mavic without post processing?

My images are crisp, the colors are vibrant, but they just are not accurate. I notice it most in "good" light. In lower light situations the color is more true.

Thanks for any tips. Thumbswayup

Today I flew in the same scenario, but with an ND 16 Polar filter. Color was much better. Still an unnatural hue, though.

I have noticed on bright sunny days that the Normal setting looks too contrasty and has a purplish cast especially in the shadows.

Are you using the Normal setting or one of the other options? I have found on sunny days that D-Cinelike yields very nice neutral color results (custom settings of 0,-1,-1) that may benefit from a little color grading (slightly higher saturation, mainly) but are fine just as they are. This is with WB on 'Sunny' and with the appropriate ND filter (I'm using the PolarPro ND32 & 16 mostly.)

On cloudy (low contrast) days I'm finding more work needs to be done in post when using D-Cinelike.

HTH

Commo

Reactions: KiterTodd
Check your white balance settings.
I set mine to be fixed = cloud. Don't use AWB (auto white balance) as it will cause colour temp changes if you are transitioning from sky to ground video. This purlplish hue happens in video with fireworks also. The AWB goes skitz and does not know what colour temps to lock in.

Reactions: KiterTodd
I have noticed on bright sunny days that the Normal setting looks too contrasty and has a purplish cast especially in the shadows.

Are you using the Normal setting or one of the other options? I have found on sunny days that D-Cinelike yields very nice neutral color results (custom settings of 0,-1,-1) that may benefit from a little color grading (slightly higher saturation, mainly) but are fine just as they are. This is with WB on 'Sunny' and with the appropriate ND filter (I'm using the PolarPro ND32 & 16 mostly.)

On cloudy (low contrast) days I'm finding more work needs to be done in post when using D-Cinelike.

HTH
Thanks. I am on the Normal settings. Should be sunny tomorrow. I'll try D-Cinelike and see how it goes.

I was also reminded (watched another video) that I can do a custom white balance and set my own temp. The issue there is, when you are using in the bright sun, you can't always see the screen well enough to make a manual adjustment. That's why I'd like to find an auto mode I can trust. Thanks for the tips.

Yeah, I get the same problem. When the sun is setting the edges of my images turn purple, especially in the shadows. Hope they sort this out.

...I have found on sunny days that D-Cinelike yields very nice neutral color results (custom settings of 0,-1,-1) that may benefit from a little color grading (slightly higher saturation, mainly) but are fine just as they are. This is with WB on 'Sunny' and with the appropriate ND filter (I'm using the PolarPro ND32 & 16 mostly.)

I wanted to circle back here now that I have been using your D-Cinelike suggestion. Makes a big difference, so thanks!

Images and video are now much more natural looking. Used to be that everything I shot (stills or video) had an artificial color tint to it. It was identifiable on most other Mavic videos I saw when people used the default settings. This gets rid of that. Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61