DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pylon near miss using litchi

marky153

Reactions
I was testing litchi and set some waypoints manually 15 feet above pylons. When I executed mission mavic flew in between cables!!
Is it normal to be that much out?
Was really lucky, will not be doing this again.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Wow that was close. Super lucky. I had an oh crap moment like that with a bridge on one of my first flights. It ended up just missing all aspects of the bridge some by mere inches. Here is a video of that near miss. Scared me so bad but learned from my mistakes.

Reactions: BrooklynFlyer
I was testing litchi and set some waypoints manually 15 feet above pylons. When I executed mission mavic flew in between cables!!
Is it normal to be that much out?
Was really lucky, will not be doing this again.

That would be a serious offense to cause a problem with high power lines

How did you determine at which height they were? Are you sure of your "height above ground" vs "height above takeoff point" references? That can get "complicated", or rather it's very easy to make mistakes.

Reactions: Logger
User Manual p. 18: "DO NOT guide the aircraft to fly towards people, animals, small and fine objects (e.g. tree branches and power lines).."

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I first flew the mavic 15 feet above pylons then added waypoints. When a flew mission the altitude seemed to drop by almost 20 feet?

The pylons are inactive, otherwise I would have not near them due to emf.

Yep, that was close, I think a lot of us (me included) have had our scare with power lines, I was dropping down from200' to my back yard from .5 miles away to say 'Hi' to my wife, totally spaced out the 10,000Volt lines that run behind the house, missed them by about 10'. Using a phone so didn't even see them until the playback on a bigger screen.

How did you determine at which height they were? Are you sure of your "height above ground" vs "height above takeoff point" references? That can get "complicated", or rather it's very easy to make mistakes.
Exactly. Plenty of room for stuff ups here with Litchi. Not much into checklists as I get sick of using them at work. But have done so for Litchi missions. One of my last items is to check that the flight-plan heights are referenced to the correct datum. You can carefully create a detailed WPT route checking all the heights, only to unthinkingly take off from a different spot nearby with a different elevation. Then all the WPT elevations will be out by the height difference which can be catastrophic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair