DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about 4K

Yes, the display has fixed resolution can go down only. But 4K on a UHD looks great. (cost me a new TV:))

Reactions: Ripper7620
Thanks i figured but just wanted to make sure. I'm getting ready to buy a new laptop and debating wether to get a 4K display. My current desktop video card and editing program wont do 4K so I'm ready to upgrade. Just cant decide if i want to spend the extra $ for a 4K monitor.

I purchased recently here a 4K 43" Philips monitor incl speakers for about $500. Once you see your own 4K video you are hooked.. Laptop would be always bit more expensive than desktop, depends if you need to carry it with. To desktop you can "only" put new video card and it could speed the video edit reasonably.

I think you need a 4K video player app for your PC. Brorsoft player is one of the smart choice. It even supports 8k videos.

Editing in 4K takes a beast of a machine, just a heads up. You should be using a Quad Core i7 processor with at least 2.4 GHz, minimum of 16 Gb of Ram, an a NVidia GTX series in the 760’s range (or higher). Your drive read/write speeds matter, best to make sure your scratch disk is a SSD, Samsung pro line would be best. Your display gives you references, a 4K display is great to edit with, but the hardware matters more IMHO.

IMG_0042[1].JPG IMG_0061[1].JPG IMG_0060[1].JPG IMO, the most cost effective way to get a 4K machine is to build your own desktop PC. Literally anyone can build a desktop these days, as it's gotten much easier over the years. I built one with the following spec, but you certainly don't have to go this extreme to get a decent machine:
CPU: Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16 core
GPU: nVidia Quadro P5000 16Gb
Boot Disk: 2TB Samsung Pro M.2
RAM: 64Gb of G. Skill Trident Z 3600MGHz
Internal Storage:10TB WD 7200RPM Har Drive
Monitor" LG 42.5" 4K Monitor

Last edited:
View attachment 40895 View attachment 40896 View attachment 40897 IMO, the most cost effective way to get a 4K machine is to build your own desktop PC. Literally anyone can build a desktop these days, as it's gotten much easier over the years. I built one with the following spec, but you certainly don't have to go this extreme to get a decent machine:
CPU: Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16 core
GPU: nVidia Quadro P5000 16Gb
Boot Disk: 2TB Samsung Pro M.2
RAM: 64Gb of G. Skill Trident Z 3600MGHz
Internal Storage:10TB WD 7200RPM Har Drive
Monitor" LG 42.5" 4K Monitor

Just curious what the rough cost is of a machine like that built by you?

Thanks

My Alienware 15 R3 laptop handles 4k well enough. I upgraded the SSD to a 1TB and have a 1TB normal drive in but other than that its stock.
You dont need a desktop but having a nice proper monitor to plug it into is great.

Just curious what the rough cost is of a machine like that built by you?

Thanks
I don't recall exactly, but it was really up there for the top shelf components. It's absolutely not necessary to spend that much to build a very capable 4K PC, it can be done for much less.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143