DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about descending

Big Fil

Reactions
The Mavic is painfully slow while descending and it would be nice to be able to go full downstick on the collective stick during descent. Normally when landing if you pull the stick down for 3 seconds it will shut off the motors. Does this happen in the air too? When descending i've been carefully trying to go down as fast as possible while not quite touching full down in case it wants to shut down the motors. Obviously that would be a bad situation.

Last edited:
Sport mode and keep flying forward while you are coming down will bring it down faster than coming down straight . .

Thanks, I understand that sport will allow a descent faster, than p-mode. It's still slow in relation to a 3D heli and what I remember from my old P1. My main question is will the motors shut off if you hold the stick down for more than 3 seconds in flight, or does the Mavic somehow prevent this command while still in the air? If so, what is using to determine that it's still in the air? When I hand catch it I am able to turn the motors off and the aircraft is still technically a number of feet above the ground.

It won't shut down if you hold it down for more than 3 seconds whilst landing, it only shuts down when it won't go any lower and then it shuts down after 3 seconds, so if you catch it (like I do) obviously it's not getting lower so it cuts the engines.

Thanks, I understand that sport will allow a descent faster, than p-mode. It's still slow in relation to a 3D heli and what I remember from my old P1. My main question is will the motors shut off if you hold the stick down for more than 3 seconds in flight, or does the Mavic somehow prevent this command while still in the air? If so, what is using to determine that it's still in the air? When I hand catch it I am able to turn the motors off and the aircraft is still technically a number of feet above the ground.
Holding straight down just sets it to auto land i believe. If you push down and towards the center then that will **** down the motors

When the Phantom 2 came out, DJI started updating the firmware for slower and slower descents. This was mostly due to VRS (Vortex Ring State). I experienced a VRS crash. The best method for descending is to keep the craft moving forward /backwards...etc., during a rapid descent. Toilet bowl landings are one of my preferred methods. VRS may be the reason they limit the speed of descent on the MP.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa