DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about FAA 400ft height restriction

Toejam

Reactions
2 part question. I have property in the hills some on flat ground and some very tall hills. In some places I can walk up a hill and be over the 400 ft in elevation in just a short 1/2 mile walk. My question is do I measure from where I take off? and then if I fly over the valley do I have to reduce my height to a max of 400 ft above the valley floor?

The elevation is from directly below the craft, so if ypu take off from the bottom of the hill you really need to know how tall the hill is! The reson for that is the telemetry will only show height above (or below) takeoff point.

If you set the max height in the app for 400 feet, you will only get to 400 feet above takeoff point.

Reactions: Toejam
FAA specifies distance above ground level below the craft, or the height of the building/mountain/structure below the craft. So technically if you launch from a 1000' asl hilltop and venture over a valley, you must descend to be no more than 400' above the ground below the craft. Likewise if you're flying 400 agl, and fly over a 200' building, you're allowed to go to 600' agl, or fly 400' above the building (or mountain) beneath you. I guess trees do not count. Hope that helps.

The elevation is from directly below the craft, so if ypu take off from the bottom of the hill you really need to know how tall the hill is! The reson for that is the telemetry will only show height above (or below) takeoff point.

If you set the max height in the app for 400 feet, you will only get to 400 feet above takeoff point.

Thanks...

FAA specifies distance above ground level below the craft, or the height of the building/mountain/structure below the craft. So technically if you launch from a 1000' asl hilltop and venture over a valley, you must descend to be no more than 400' above the ground below the craft. Likewise if you're flying 400 agl, and fly over a 200' building, you're allowed to go to 600' agl, or fly 400' above the building (or mountain) beneath you. I guess trees do not count. Hope that helps.

Thanks

There is a 400 foot "buffer" around each structure, in which you can fly 400 feet above the structure height. So for example, a tower that is 300 feet high defines an area 800 feet in diameter where you may fly 700 feet AGL and stay within the FAA safety recommendations.

In the event of a collision we might lost our drone. Others might die.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121