DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about maps

longrange

Reactions
I know that we can cache maps for locations we intend to fly in the future. Here is my question. If I am using my iPad with the controller and connect my iPad to my cell phone via hot spot, which now gives my iPad a data link, will my current location map load up. Can I then disconnect from my phones hot spot and fly with the current location map. Then when I head to another location just repeat the process. I ask because there will be times that I forget to load the maps or see a cool spot to fly and will not have the current map. To this point I have always used my phone to fly so this was never issue. But today I found a iPad mini 3 cheap so I jumped on it and ordered a holder off amazon. 3 feet of snow and -25 degrees means I can't do any testing right now.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I know that we can cache maps for locations we intend to fly in the future. Here is my question. If I am using my iPad with the controller and connect my iPad to my cell phone via hot spot, which now gives my iPad a data link, will my current location map load up. Can I then disconnect from my phones hot spot and fly with the current location map. Then when I head to another location just repeat the process. I ask because there will be times that I forget to load the maps or see a cool spot to fly and will not have the current map. To this point I have always used my phone to fly so this was never issue. But today I found a iPad mini 3 cheap so I jumped on it and ordered a holder off amazon. 3 feet of snow and -25 degrees means I can't do any testing right now.

Yes, you can. Just did this today.

MK

Reactions: Seachief
OK, I tested this.

Turned on my iPad Mini 2, running DJI Go 4, "Cache Map in the Background" enabled.

Turned on Wi-Fi.

Loaded a map of my residence area.

Turned off Wi-Fi.

Went to work and flew from Lisbon, Portugal to Nantes, France.

During the turn-around, still with Wi-Fi off, accessed DJI Go 4 again.

The map was still there. Once the GPS updated my position the screen blanked out but when I zoomed out, swiped across westwards into the small square containing the cached map, it was still there and I could zoom in again into it.

This means I can prepare an outing into an area without Wi-FI or 4G coverage in the future by just accessing the area map and caching it before departure.

Good. :)

(If the tablet is turned off, the cached maps are gone)

Hope this helps.

MK

Last edited:
I don't understand why the cach would disappear when the tablet is turned off it's cached?

I tried using hotspot and got a warning on screen about strong wifi interference and turn off wifi on my mobile device.
That being said ive have much better results using a android tablet. My absolute best device is my old Galaxy Note 4.
I bought a data only sim from T-Mobile and it works perfectly. I also use it with my Phantom 3 adv. and Phantom 4

I tried using hotspot and got a warning on screen about strong wifi interference and turn off wifi on my mobile device.
That being said ive have much better results using a android tablet. My absolute best device is my old Galaxy Note 4.
I bought a data only sim from T-Mobile and it works perfectly. I also use it with my Phantom 3 adv. and Phantom 4

I don't understand why the cach would disappear when the tablet is turned off it's cached?

Me too.

I have now had mixed results with it in that, sometimes, the map is still there, sometimes it isn't.

I will try to get to the bottom of it.

MK

Last edited:
Same here. Sometimes the cache disappears, sometimes it stays. I hope DJI would include a force cache option like the "Offline map" option in Google Maps app.

Yes a dependable map cache would be a great improvement, and being able to control how much is cached is also needed. I have plenty of room on my wifi only iPad mini to cache multiple discontinuous flying locations, but as it is now that is impossible... and if something goes wrong when flying it can be pretty handy to have a detailed map instantly available for doing a search and rescue.

Any more info on cached maps, im going on vacation to a tropical island, i will not have wifi there. So I want to cache the maps before my vacation then shut my tablet off then turn it back on when i get to island, will the cached maps still be there? whats the point of cached maps if you cant shut off tablet or close go app.

bump. still trying to find out if cached maps are still cached after tablet shuts down. also i couldnt find the setting where you toggle cached maps on/off. maybe its an apple thing, Im on android.

I'm gonna join you guys and ask a really stupid question: What's really the point of the map? Is it only to see where you and the drone are geographically? Or does it impact the gps etc which helps the drone orientate itself?

Reactions: Fonejacker
Well i tried it a few times to cache a area then shut down tablet and power back on and it only caches a small area from the very last time you zoomed in (about a mile square) but it forgets all the previous areas you flown in, they all lack detail and cant be zoomed in clearly. this tells me the memory allotted is very small and can only cache one area at a time. I hope they add in the future a way to dload map areas we want to fly in and keep them in the tablet for times when there is no wifi. This drone is compact and portable and gets taken everywhere to remote places and on vacations far away from wifi.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS