DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about using an iPad Mini with the Mavic controller

Wombat55

Reactions
Appears lots of people are using iPad Minis rather than iPhones with their Mavic controllers because of the problem with lots of iPhone battery drain. I was seriously thinking of getting an iPad Mini myself for this reason, but just thought of something. In order for the DJI App to display a real-time map on an iPhone I think that the iPhone has to be connected to a cellular network, correct? I'm guessing that this is correct because when I switch my iPhone to "Airplane Mode" in order to conserve its battery power, it appears that I lose the real-time map display in the DJI App.

So it appears that if I want the real-time map display then I need to select the Wireless+Cellular version of the iPad Mini and have cellular service activated for it, correct?

Reactions: czellner
Appears lots of people are using iPad Minis rather than iPhones with their Mavic controllers because of the problem with lots of iPhone battery drain. I was seriously thinking of getting an iPad Mini myself for this reason, but just thought of something. In order for the DJI App to display a real-time map on an iPhone I think that the iPhone has to be connected to a cellular network, correct? I'm guessing that this is correct because when I switch my iPhone to "Airplane Mode" in order to conserve its battery power, it appears that I lose the real-time map display in the DJI App.

So it appears that if I want the real-time map display then I need to select the Wireless+Cellular version of the iPad Mini and have cellular service activated for it, correct?

You can just have a wireless iPad and run a hotspot from your phone. If I'm understanding your question.

Reactions: Wombat55
You can cache the maps to the device at home and view them in the field (there is a setting in the Go app). I use a cellular iPad mini sometimes, but I don't have a plan so that is how I see the maps. Keep in mind a wifi iPad does not have GPS... only the cellular version does. You will want GPS in your device if you plan to use modes like 'follow me'.

Reactions: Wombat55
You can just have a wireless iPad and run a hotspot from your phone. If I'm understanding your question.

Hmmm. I've used my iPhone as a hotspot before, but using it as a hotspot in this context didn't occur to me, maybe because it sounds like it's starting to be a complicated setup with three separate devices working together (controller, iPad Mini, an iPhone) and the potential for things to go wrong. But if people are doing this without any glitches or reliability problems I might try it.

You can cache the maps to the device at home and view them in the field (there is a setting in the Go app). I use a cellular iPad mini sometimes, but I don't have a plan so that is how I see the maps. Keep in mind a wifi iPad does not have GPS... only the cellular version does. You will want GPS in your device if you plan to use modes like 'follow me'.

That sounds like a great idea. Sounds like this caching technique can also be used with an iPhone in order to still have a real-time map when using the DJI App even if the iPhone is in "Airplane Mode" to conserve battery life?

You are correct. I use an iPad Mini 4. Works great. I tried with an iPhone 6S Plus I had laying around the house. The iPad is bigger and teh screen looks nicer. Just my opinion.

Cache them at home, zoom in and out several levels around the location in the map that you intend to fly. They'll still be there when your at the location if you have the option turned on, no need to tether to a phone. Honestly though for myself I don't ever use the map, only if I need to motor back to the home point and then I just follow the green line. I never saw the need to fly with the map but I'm flying for shooting video primarily so the live view is what I'm focused on.

If you want my opinion, and I know you do :p, just wait for the DJI CrystalSky to come out. It's a dedicated screen for the drones.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU