DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question for the Mavic Gurus of Video making..

Cerberus

Reactions

I noted that when moving forward, the video taken is quite acceptable but what I find not as acceptable to my eye is when I am turning my bird around..

it seems the video kinda chops and stutter when I am turning my bird around. And I turn very very slowly with the stick push very slightly to make it turn..

is there any way to make my bird turn without stuttering the video quality so?

p.s :- the video stuttering while turning is on the third video...

I also find many videos super choppy...

Tripod mode helps but I can't understand how it can be that bad... [emoji29]. Hopefully there is a way...?

Reactions: Cerberus
Did you experiment with EXP? Also did you get a U3 micro SD? (I guess it's something else..)

Reactions: Cerberus
Drop your yaw exponent to 0.15 or 0.10 and set yaw endpoint (the maximum yaw rate when the stick is fully deflected) to 50% - that'll smooth out your pans and make the yaw much more controllable.

You still have full yaw rate available in sport mode when setting up this way, should you feel the need.

What kind of workaround are you doing?

Personally I still practice flying but work on premiere (I'm just referring to what I see people posting)

I also find many videos super choppy...

Tripod mode helps but I can't understand how it can be that bad... [emoji29]. Hopefully there is a way...?

Admittedly, I wasnt using tripod mode because I find moving forward in tripod mode is too slow...
I used normal flight mode and push the turning stick very slightly and yet the video still choppy..
Gonna try turning in tripod mode and see.. Will post when I have the chance to experiment..

Reactions: funglu
Did you experiment with EXP? Also did you get a U3 micro SD? (I guess it's something else..)

I got a 64gb fast SD card so maybe thats not the problem.. do note the forward flying and recording is pretty good.. just the turning...

What video editing software are you using? My Mavic does the same and have been playing with various settings to help smooth it out.

Trying out in Adobe Premier... but even before editing, the raw footage itself is choppy in the turning part... forward and gimbal face down is acceptable to me at least

Is the "max yaw" the gain parameter?
No not the gains, they are best left well alone. The EXP parameters however are fine to play with, they determine how stick deflection maps to rate of pitch, roll and yaw.

You can see in the curves what they do, for example if you set yaw EXP very low like 0.10 then the first 30% or more of stick movement only translates to maybe a 10% yaw rate, so now you don't have to be so steady and precise with you finger on the stick because it's very insensitive in that first 30% of movement away from the centre.

The remaining 90% of yaw rate is then all still available in the next 70% of stick movement, so at the higher deflections the stick is actually more sensitive than it was before you adjusted anything, but that's fine because when you want to yaw fast you're not normally trying to do a smooth maneuver for video.

Adjusting yaw endpoint just changes what 100% stick deflection corresponds to - if you set it to 50 as I suggested, full deflection is now 50% of maximum yaw rate which is still a lot and when you really want to yaw fast you can just switch to sport mode where the settings I'm taking about aren't in effect so you don't lose any capability for really high yaw rates when you want them.

Moving the gimbal up and down is the same, right? It's so frustrating to have to go so slow to get descent shots...

But definitely lower the EXP on yaw like boristhespider said.

Incidentally it's also a good idea to turn the gimbal rates WAY down, it's much too fast at stock, turning it down by 50% or 75% isn't too much, and when you want to quickly switch from looking down to looking forward or vice versa you can use the 5d button shortcut to do that really quickly but now the back wheel is controllable enough to do smooth gimbal tilts.

Reactions: trriley5
Third video? I only see one. Can't tell if you're asking a movement related question, which everyone is assuming, or a question relating to the shutter speed, which depending on duvisibility with fps, can result in judder or studder.

Reactions: SYC12 and Cerberus
Third video? I only see one. Can't tell if you're asking a movement related question, which everyone is assuming, or a question relating to the shutter speed, which depending on duvisibility with fps, can result in judder or studder.

My bad, the third video I was trying to refer to is actually the third segment in that one video I posted.. sorry for the confusion.

The question is movement related... turning around seems to not contribute to a smoother video taking.. but I'm going to try out tripod mode and experiment with the Yaw and EXP and so on later and make a video showing the difference when I am able.

Another question, is there any way to edit the forward speed movement in tripod mode? Because it just seems a hassle to change the settings on the normal mode and all just to take a great vid and when you want to fly for fun, you gotta have to go change the settings of the YAW and stuff again.. Too bad, DJI didn't enable users to have several custom settings for the controls. It they did, all we have to do is just edit multiple custom settings and switch between one or the other with maybe that C2 button at the back and stuff..'

Of course, we can follow one BoristheSpiders advice and edit the yaw and stuff and when we wanna move fast, switch to Sports mode and so on... but the no Forward avoidance sensor in sports mode gives me the jitters.. haha

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3