DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question for the Mavic Gurus of Video making..

so um,,, converting 24fps to 30fps will improve the judder but blur the motion a bit?

Well, I'm fairly certain my stuttering effect is from my clumsy fingers seeing that I have smooth footage when I move my AC forward at normal settings and only have this pretty bad stuttering effect when I am turning and strafing my AC..

And as some helpful souls pointed out in this thread of mine, lowering the EXP and stuff for the RC settings does help alot.. I didnt fiddle with the settings but I did try out Cinematic mode which I have to say is an improvement in my eyes... I'm just a bit miffed that the forward speed on Tripod and Cinematic is too slow for my liking...

When shooting footage the tripods mode slowness is often very preferable. Than you can speed things up in post processing if needed. This of course only applies if there aren't any moving things in the footage since it would be goofy in speeded up material.

The juddering effect in panning is the disappointment of many video makers... especially it seems using 24fps.
A Google search on the topic will confirm that. Watch a movie at the theatre or on tv.. you'll see the same. There are ways of minimising this effect but check out a few sites on Google.
The Big Judder Problem and the Overhyping of 24p
So 30fps help you get rid of this juddering? Or does the mavic have a bigger issue there as well?

Horizontal movements are harder to resolve for any camera system. It would be better to pan extremely slowly if that is what you want to show, or edit out the panning. If you watch good videos, you will notice almost no panning. Only straight line motions. Shooting or editing to a higher framerate can smooth out the motion effects, but you would have to have a great camera for that, or have knowledge of post editing software that can up sample your footage to higher framerates. There are right and wrong ways of up sampling. For this discussion though, I would edit out panning movements.

If I understand correctly, the only way to get good results while panning at some speed with the mavic is for example to get add-on in premiere to interpolate the frames?

What is the worst? Shooting in 60fps with the mavic or interpolate frames in post production?

I guess it depends on the complexity of the background...?

If I understand correctly, the only way to get good results while panning at some speed with the mavic is for example to get add-on in premiere to interpolate the frames?

What is the worst? Shooting in 60fps with the mavic or interpolate frames in post production?

I guess it depends on the complexity of the background...?
For me, panning at anything other than slow speed was not very good. I got good results with slow panning shooting at 30fps and upsampling to 60fps with a quality video editor. Not just doubling the frame rate, but creating new frames between the existing ones. This eliminated the moire effect that occurs with verical and horizontal lines like tiles and bricks. Shooting at 60fps on the mavic is not good at all. Moire effect all over the place. Up sampling is much better for me. But now I just prefer to edit out the panning because it is confusing to look at anyway and I don't think it makes for good video.

Argh... I guess I have to accept defeat... I took one week to settle for the mavic, understanding the max is 30fps... I just try to tell myself there may be a solution somewhere.

Can't wait for the V2... But at least I have time to practice and "master the settings" [emoji58]
(and learn to fly my first drone hehe...)

Never tried upsampling 24fps to 60 fps before, would be very interesting to try now wouldn't it..
hehe..

anyway, I made another video from last night. captured at 2.7 / 30fps with auto settings on (just checking things out), D-cinelike color
and put my usual crappy color grading skills in..

tell me what you think..

Never tried upsampling 24fps to 60 fps before, would be very interesting to try now wouldn't it..
hehe..

anyway, I made another video from last night. captured at 2.7 / 30fps with auto settings on (just checking things out), D-cinelike color
and put my usual crappy color grading skills in..

tell me what you think..

I think that's a pretty fair job!

Reactions: Cerberus
Argh... I guess I have to accept defeat... I took one week to settle for the mavic, understanding the max is 30fps... I just try to tell myself there may be a solution somewhere.

Can't wait for the V2... But at least I have time to practice and "master the settings" [emoji58]
(and learn to fly my first drone hehe...)
My question for you is why do you want to use panning video? V2, the P4P, and even Inspire will all have difficulty panning at anything other than slow speed. It seems your'e putting all your measure of success in panning video, when that is the least attractive video to make!

I think that's a pretty fair job!

Thankz... personally, I think there is too much noise in the video if you watch it on a 22' computer screen but I guess what do you expect, considering the Auto settings bumped up the ISO to 1k plus, I forgot the actual value though.. ;p

But as usual, it looks great from a 5.5' smartphone screen... hehe

My question for you is why do you want to use panning video? V2, the P4P, and even Inspire will all have difficulty panning at anything other than slow speed. It seems your'e putting all your measure of success in panning video, when that is the least attractive video to make!

I dunno, we just like to try and make the difficult a possibility.. besides, after spending a fair amount on our pricey birds, doesn't hurt to try and max out skills with it both in flying and in making great vids... :)

I also have some ideas on vid making on some of the landmarks in my little town and yes, panning is involved because I feel it would make for some interesting footage... I'm just waiting for my Filters to arrive before I embark on my mission impossible.. hehe

Reactions: WheelzWorld
I dunno, we just like to try and make the difficult a possibility.. besides, after spending a fair amount on our pricey birds, doesn't hurt to try and max out skills with it both in flying and in making great vids... :)

I also have some ideas on vid making on some of the landmarks in my little town and yes, panning is involved because I feel it would make for some interesting footage... I'm just waiting for my Filters to arrive before I embark on my mission impossible.. hehe
I think that's what I was trying to point out....I'm not sure there is that much value in panning. Have you seen really interesting video that involves panning? The best use of panning I've seen involves pretty fast movement while introducing even more motion blur. Pretty cool, but really only a footnote in the scope of the whole video production.

Reactions: Cerberus
I think that's what I was trying to point out....I'm not sure there is that much value in panning. Have you seen really interesting video that involves panning? The best use of panning I've seen involves pretty fast movement while introducing even more motion blur. Pretty cool, but really only a footnote in the scope of the whole video production.

To each his own way my friend... :)

Yeah exactly. I'm not trying to make a video with tons of panning, I'm trying to figure out the best method for some tiny segment on a video that could use this method.

My goal is more to follow some kind of bicycle race from close so 60fps or 120fps would definitely be useful for slow-motions. (I guess I'll do it with the gopro after getting a REMOVU S1)

But I was also considering adding motion like you said.

The all point is to do a "sporty video" the best possible way with the mavic. (and use the gopro when needed)

I'm going to test up and downsampling the FPS for the videos next soon..

plan to record at 30fps, then downsample to 24fps and another upsample to 60fps and see whether there will be any difference..
stay tuned..

ok, made a test video of some moving cars at day light..

captured at 2.7k / 30fps..

I downscaled one vid in 24 fps and upscaled another to 60 fps.

for the 24fps, the cars seems to move slower and there is a noticeable stutter in their movements.

for the 60 fps.. honestly, for the life of me I can't tell whether there is any difference..

If you guys interested to see the vids, let me know and I'll post up... if not... no harm done..

ok, made a test video of some moving cars at day light..

captured at 2.7k / 30fps..

I downscaled one vid in 24 fps and upscaled another to 60 fps.

for the 24fps, the cars seems to move slower and there is a noticeable stutter in their movements.

for the 60 fps.. honestly, for the life of me I can't tell whether there is any difference..

If you guys interested to see the vids, let me know and I'll post up... if not... no harm done..
There is a big difference if you do it right.....

I don't understand the purpose of downsampling to 24 then follow with upsampling to 60. I pretty much film at 30fps, then interpolate upsample to 60 if the scene requires less jitter.

Reactions: halley and Cerberus
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato