Question regarding GPS trackers.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by MavicKhan, Oct 27, 2016.

1. MavicKhan

MavicKhan Well-Known Member

Won't a GPS tracker (no matter how small) affect flight characteristics and, specially, compass calibration and performance?

Thank you for any replies.

MK

2. bbkett

bbkett Member

I definitely could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the built in GPS transmits to the RC and can be used that way. Not sure what happens if it crashes and the battery comes out, though - it'd be handy if the GPS history saved.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

3. Telescott

Telescott New Member

I am not worried about the weight, I have the Marco Polo RC Tracker and it is very small. My question is when am i going to hang it. I use two small cable ties to attach it to the P3 landing gear.

4. Advexure

Advexure Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

Los Angeles, CA - New York, NY - Sheboygan, WI
    A small GPS tracker such as the Marco Polo or Trackimo would have an extremely minimal effect on flight characteristics. 1.4 ounces is practically negligible. As @Telescott mentioned, your main problem is going to be finding the best place to mount. You've got some space on the very rear of the Mavic. I would avoid mounting on the top due to concerns with compass interference.

Telescott likes this.
  5. fakbik

fakbik Well-Known Member

What would be the best material to use while maintaining the structural integrity for potential resale later?

6. Advexure

Advexure Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

Los Angeles, CA - New York, NY - Sheboygan, WI
    Industrial 3M Double Sided Adhesive works very well. When heated up you can still get this adhesive off later on if you choose to do so. Be sure to follow application instructions carefully and be sure to clean the application surface very well.

7. BD0G

BD0G Well-Known Member

Or 3 M command Strips that one can pull on the strip to remove if needed.

They have some strips that will hold 5 pounds.

There will also be 3D printed solutions to come to market after there are more Mavic's released.

8. msinger

msinger Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

GPS data will only be transmitted to the Mavic remote controller while the downlink (OcuSync connection) is up. If the downlink signal is lost, all you'll have is the last location sent to the remote controller. Depending on what caused the downlink to disconnect, your Mavic could fly far away from the last recorded location before it makes it to its final resting place.

Considering it usually takes some type of impact to dislodge the battery, the Mavic should be close to the last recorded GPS position if the battery dislodges.

9. Telescott

Telescott New Member

If someone comes up 3D print solution and can export it as an .stl file, I would be happy to print a couple for us both on my XYZ Pro 3D Printer.

10. MavicKhan

MavicKhan Well-Known Member

So, I already got one of these Genuine GPS Tracker Magnetic Car Vehicle Personal Tracking Device 102-NANO TK102 | eBay

It works great and I hope that, at 30 grams, it won't be a problem.

Now all I need is the actual drone ;)

...but even that has come closer to being a reality...

Initially, I was planning to get mine about February/March, next year...But, reading about all the delays in production and distribution, I was faced with a conundrum, as I wasn't able to tell which ordering time frame would guarantee that.

So, this Saturday I placed an order with a national supplier but, since ours is such a small market, sometimes surprising things happen as distribution channels secure small but firm allotments for our country.

It may very well turn out that I get the mail to go and pick it up much sooner than anticipated.

...which will be OK. One of the reasons that made me want to wait a little bit was any possible negative feedback from early users and that, as far as I can tell, is falling well within reasonable boundaries.

FK