DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question regarding GPS trackers.

MavicKhan

Reactions
Won't a GPS tracker (no matter how small) affect flight characteristics and, specially, compass calibration and performance?

Thank you for any replies.

MK

I definitely could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the built in GPS transmits to the RC and can be used that way. Not sure what happens if it crashes and the battery comes out, though - it'd be handy if the GPS history saved.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I am not worried about the weight, I have the Marco Polo RC Tracker and it is very small. My question is when am i going to hang it. I use two small cable ties to attach it to the P3 landing gear.

A small GPS tracker such as the Marco Polo or Trackimo would have an extremely minimal effect on flight characteristics. 1.4 ounces is practically negligible. As @Telescott mentioned, your main problem is going to be finding the best place to mount. You've got some space on the very rear of the Mavic. I would avoid mounting on the top due to concerns with compass interference.

Reactions: Telescott
A small GPS tracker such as the Marco Polo or Trackimo would have an extremely minimal effect on flight characteristics. 1.4 ounces is practically negligible. As @Telescott mentioned, your main problem is going to be finding the best place to mount. You've got some space on the very rear of the Mavic. I would avoid mounting on the top due to concerns with compass interference.

What would be the best material to use while maintaining the structural integrity for potential resale later?

Industrial 3M Double Sided Adhesive works very well. When heated up you can still get this adhesive off later on if you choose to do so. Be sure to follow application instructions carefully and be sure to clean the application surface very well.

Or 3 M command Strips that one can pull on the strip to remove if needed.

They have some strips that will hold 5 pounds.

There will also be 3D printed solutions to come to market after there are more Mavic's released.

I'm pretty sure that the built in GPS transmits to the RC and can be used that way
GPS data will only be transmitted to the Mavic remote controller while the downlink (OcuSync connection) is up. If the downlink signal is lost, all you'll have is the last location sent to the remote controller. Depending on what caused the downlink to disconnect, your Mavic could fly far away from the last recorded location before it makes it to its final resting place.

Not sure what happens if it crashes and the battery comes out
Considering it usually takes some type of impact to dislodge the battery, the Mavic should be close to the last recorded GPS position if the battery dislodges.

If someone comes up 3D print solution and can export it as an .stl file, I would be happy to print a couple for us both on my XYZ Pro 3D Printer.

So, I already got one of these Genuine GPS Tracker Magnetic Car Vehicle Personal Tracking Device 102-NANO TK102 | eBay

It works great and I hope that, at 30 grams, it won't be a problem.

Now all I need is the actual drone ;)

...but even that has come closer to being a reality...

Initially, I was planning to get mine about February/March, next year...But, reading about all the delays in production and distribution, I was faced with a conundrum, as I wasn't able to tell which ordering time frame would guarantee that.

So, this Saturday I placed an order with a national supplier but, since ours is such a small market, sometimes surprising things happen as distribution channels secure small but firm allotments for our country.

It may very well turn out that I get the mail to go and pick it up much sooner than anticipated.

...which will be OK. One of the reasons that made me want to wait a little bit was any possible negative feedback from early users and that, as far as I can tell, is falling well within reasonable boundaries.

FK

Reactions: Loz
So, I already got one of these Genuine GPS Tracker Magnetic Car Vehicle Personal Tracking Device 102-NANO TK102 | eBay

It works great and I hope that, at 30 grams, it won't be a problem.

Now all I need is the actual drone ;)

...but even that has come closer to being a reality...

Initially, I was planning to get mine about February/March, next year...But, reading about all the delays in production and distribution, I was faced with a conundrum, as I wasn't able to tell which ordering time frame would guarantee that.

So, this Saturday I placed an order with a national supplier but, since ours is such a small market, sometimes surprising things happen as distribution channels secure small but firm allotments for our country.

It may very well turn out that I get the mail to go and pick it up much sooner than anticipated.

...which will be OK. One of the reasons that made me want to wait a little bit was any possible negative feedback from early users and that, as far as I can tell, is falling well within reasonable boundaries.

FK

Would you be able to post up some pics when you get the tracker fitted? I want to see what the options are as in mounting and size of the trackers before I make a purchase, could there be any room inside the MP for it perhaps?

Hi Loz,

I have finally received my Mavic but am still in the process of familiarize myself with it before the first flights, both because I find that familiarization quite important and also because the weather hasn't been that inviting for this particular activity, around here.

I also would prefer to fly it with the final chosen tablet, instead of the 2 less-than-perfect solutions I already have, and am still trying to get hold of a 2nd hand iPad Mini 2 for that effect.

(...it is possible I might fly it for the first time this weekend, as I already targeted one of those iPads...)

Now that I have the Mavic at hand, I am finding the 102-NANO TK102 still a bit large for the Mavic amazing compactness. If I end up using it (...which I am seriously doubting, at the moment...), it will be via a patch of Velcro on each battery, so it can be swapped between them, as this seems that spot (...from the very few available...) is the closest to the Mavic's CG and, possibly, also the least prone to create any interference, as the GPS tracker auto-pings the cellular towers.

Because of your very educational thread, the one about that "fail to return + serendipitous finding", I have a Loc8tor on the way and am more inclined to just use it in place of the larger tracker.

I have read that very interesting thread and am confident that, between my own analysis and help from users like Msinger, I will be able to find it, should it stray away like a clueless cat :)

DS1A5241.jpg

MK

Reactions: Loz
Loz,

This is how I'm mounting my Marco Polo for now using the 10lb command strips. I'll figure out a better method after I'm sure my bird is solid. It has been noted that it is necessary to do a new compass cal anytime you install or remove the tracker.

Jerry

IMG_6962.JPG IMG_6959.JPG IMG_6961.JPG

Reactions: Fplvert and Loz
Loz,

This is how I'm mounting my Marco Polo for now using the 10lb command strips. I'll figure out a better method after I'm sure my bird is solid. It has been noted that it is necessary to do a new compass cal anytime you install or remove the tracker.

Jerry

View attachment 2595 View attachment 2597 View attachment 2598

Thanks Jerry that looks like the best place to mount it, let me know how it goes with the testing. I'm favoring this tracker over the Nano TK due its smaller size at the moment..

Reactions: JtrJr
Actually, that is probably the best place to mount it. From what I remember there is one compass in the nose and the other at the back of the Mavic.

For something that weighs <32 oz total 1.4 isn't too negligible...at least not by my standards. When you're pushing 5% that's meaningful!
But it's still small, I think is what you're saying ;)

Also, I'm not an expert on aerodynamics, but I feel like having it mounted on the top like that will have the least effect when flying at high speeds and facing forward. But if you can find a place on the bottom it would be even better.

The bottom houses 4 sensors, you will be hard pushed to mount it anywhere there. It will have very little effect on aerodynamics. If it was a racing drone and every millisecond counted then a different story but it is not. Also it would take a pretty strong wind to have any effect on its stability also which could impact footage but I guess only time will tell really. Unfortunately at the end of the day the top is your only safe option (keeping it away from all sensors in the nose, the tail and underneath), well apart from securing it to one of the legs which would not look great and not sure how many of them contain the antenna either :)

just received drone-mods GPS tracker. I noticed it on front porch from mailman after I had just got back from flying and almost lost my mavic due stupidity of being a newbie and flying in cold and rapid dark conditions. I'll be putting my tracker on top also asap. Really no good attractive place to put it on the mavic. Good Idea on labeling the emergency location button on unit with a false on/off label, that way who ever finds it who might be dishonest would try to shut it off but in reality send me a SOS as to where it is.
its the size of a tic- tac container

Hi Loz,

I have finally received my Mavic but am still in the process of familiarize myself with it before the first flights, both because I find that familiarization quite important and also because the weather hasn't been that inviting for this particular activity, around here.

I also would prefer to fly it with the final chosen tablet, instead of the 2 less-than-perfect solutions I already have, and am still trying to get hold of a 2nd hand iPad Mini 2 for that effect.

(...it is possible I might fly it for the first time this weekend, as I already targeted one of those iPads...)

Now that I have the Mavic at hand, I am finding the 102-NANO TK102 still a bit large for the Mavic amazing compactness. If I end up using it (...which I am seriously doubting, at the moment...), it will be via a patch of Velcro on each battery, so it can be swapped between them, as this seems that spot (...from the very few available...) is the closest to the Mavic's CG and, possibly, also the least prone to create any interference, as the GPS tracker auto-pings the cellular towers.

Because of your very educational thread, the one about that "fail to return + serendipitous finding", I have a Loc8tor on the way and am more inclined to just use it in place of the larger tracker.

I have read that very interesting thread and am confident that, between my own analysis and help from users like Msinger, I will be able to find it, should it stray away like a clueless cat :)

View attachment 2584

MK
OW! that's kind of big :eek:

Any tracker that depends on having a cell signal to work is not an option in many places I fly, as there is none. If your bird goes down anyplace that there is no reception you are not finding it except in the old school way, a grid search. I went with the Marco Polo for this very reason, no cell signal needed, or gps, as it has its own transmitter and directional receiver, with enough range to allow you to find it, and transmits for 3 days to allow you time to find it. Yes you have to carry around the receiver, but it is light and fairly small, and both the transmitter and receiver will recharge from a solar charger.

Reactions: Fplvert
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27