DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Questions on Tripod Mode

Rom3oDelta7

Reactions
1. Is Tripod Mode just a shorthand for setting the Advanced/Expo stick profile curves (assuming Mavic has these like the P4) or does it operate differently?

2. Does the Tripod Mode also affect the gimbal?

3. Can you combine Tripod Mode with Course Lock or Waypoints?

As expected, even the 1.0 manual does not cover this, so hoping for some guidance as I plan out some sequences I will do once this baby arrives. (Assuming there is someone out there reading this who has one already ...) Thx.

Tripod mode is a new thing for DJI supposedly due to how stable it is. Not sure what you mean affect the gimbal. To my knowledge it operates normally in tripod mode. Purely speculation from videos I have watched. I believe tripod mode is only for close range shots to hold it still so I don't think it will involve CL or waypoints.

Hopefully someone will have it in a few days to confirm it.

Yeah it's definitely toning down dual rate and expo. Don't see why the gimbal would have to be altered any. Will be interesting to see the answer to your last question.

Tripod mode is a new thing for DJI supposedly due to how stable it is. Not sure what you mean affect the gimbal. To my knowledge it operates normally in tripod mode. Purely speculation from videos I have watched. I believe tripod mode is only for close range shots to hold it still so I don't think it will involve CL or waypoints.

Hopefully someone will have it in a few days to confirm it.
I was thinking "camera tripod" paradigm initially as well, but instead, it seems like the Tripod Mode is really just a way to slow everything down (speed & reaction sensitivity) to get something akin to cinematography gear. Watch the latest Philip Bloom YouTube video on tripod mode for an example. This "slow mode" concept was why I was asking about the gimbal - does it react more slowly as well? (Assuming "no"). My guess is that you would not get the speed limits of Tripod Mode but you might be able to achieve similar control results by "numbing down" the expo curves for the sticks. What I'm thinking of is camera crane/jib-type shots but with the Mavic, hence Tripod Mode + Course Lock.

From a novice's point of view, I am thinking that tripod mode in conjunction with course lock will be mega for taking some pretty awesome side on shots of my boat (bearing in mind its top speed is 6mph) which when put together with a journey mode shot could be really cool.

1. Is Tripod Mode just a shorthand for setting the Advanced/Expo stick profile curves (assuming Mavic has these like the P4) or does it operate differently?

As expected, even the 1.0 manual does not cover this, so hoping for some guidance as I plan out some sequences I will do once this baby arrives. (Assuming there is someone out there reading this who has one already ...) Thx.
OK, tripod mode dulls down the stick throws (like Expo/dual rates) and limits the aircraft to a max speed of 2.5mph at full cyclic to help get better 'cinematic' style shots.
It will help people who are not used to fine stick control on R/C aircraft and make for more delicate moves.
Now, the interesting bit is the PID tuning for the gimbal may well be altered in this mode to put more weighting or 'trust' in the gyros thus making the gimbal stabilisation better for slow sweeping maneuvers whilst in normal mode a balance is maintained between the GCU accelerometers and gyros to maintain horizon during more dynamic flight.

Last edited:
OK, tripod mode dulls down the stick throws (like Expo/dual rates) and limits the aircraft to a max speed of 2.5mph at full cyclic to help get better 'cinematic' style shots.
It will help people who are not used to fine stick control on R/C aircraft and make for more delicate moves.
Now, the interesting bit is the PID tuning for the gimbal may well be altered in this mode to put more weighting or 'trust' in the gyros thus making the gimbal stabilisation better for slow sweeping maneuvers whilst in normal mode a balance is maintained between the GCU accelerometers and gyros to maintain horizon during more dynamic flight.

I want to be able to focus on the shot and not worry about the piloting (at that point, anyway) so this sounds good, including the gimbal weighting. Do you know if Tripod and Course Lock and be enabled at the same time? I am hoping to be able to go back and forth between normal and Tripod mode stick calibrations without having to the reset the Expo settings each time I use Course Lock. Thanks!

I watched the few reviews and demos that are out there showing Tripod Mod. It seems to be very similar, but not identical, to "Turtle Mode" on the Yuneec Typhoon H. On the Typhoon H it takes the tripod mode a bit further... you have a physical slider control that allows the pilot to select the amount of "tripod mode" at any given point in the flight. On the Mavic the Tripod mode is either on or off. When on, the speed is capped as well as the movements of the Mavic (no sudden jerkiness) and possibly also the camera movement (slower panning?... but not sure on this one).

I was thinking "camera tripod" paradigm initially as well, but instead, it seems like the Tripod Mode is really just a way to slow everything down (speed & reaction sensitivity) to get something akin to cinematography gear. Watch the latest Philip Bloom YouTube video on tripod mode for an example. This "slow mode" concept was why I was asking about the gimbal - does it react more slowly as well? (Assuming "no"). My guess is that you would not get the speed limits of Tripod Mode but you might be able to achieve similar control results by "numbing down" the expo curves for the sticks. What I'm thinking of is camera crane/jib-type shots but with the Mavic, hence Tripod Mode + Course Lock.

I think Phillip also mentioned that obstacle avoidance is turned off on tripod mode.

FYI, Philip Bloom replied and said that Tripod Mode is standalone only. So I guess it is back to changing the Expo settings for use with Course Lock. Future enhancement, hopefully ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143