DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quick flight over Philadelphia

Jake Galloway

Reactions
This was actually a fairly windy day, about 15 mph according to Hover. I had a break between classes and decided to take the Mavic down to the river front to get some footage. Let me know what you guys think!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Keule and halley
I just received my Mavic and as I try to work out how to fly it, more importantly I am working on where to fly it. Great footage. Do you have a 107 license or other pilots license? I was under the impression you needed a commercial license to be able to fly where you were recording. I am not a narc, just trying to figure out the balance between what the FAA says and what real word application is. Thanks, Scott.

I just received my Mavic and as I try to work out how to fly it, more importantly I am working on where to fly it. Great footage. Do you have a 107 license or other pilots license? I was under the impression you needed a commercial license to be able to fly where you were recording. I am not a narc, just trying to figure out the balance between what the FAA says and what real word application is. Thanks, Scott.

Welcome, Scott! No need for a 107 here, you can use Hover or UAV Forecast to find restricted flight zones.

I did that but it appears everything is restricted by the heli-ports in our area. I work in University City. I work for a builder and I wanted to get video of some of the projects we're working on in the area. 22 story high rise along the river and some stuff in University City.

Do you worry about the helicopter traffic?

The heliports, especially the Penn won't restrict you from take off. You do, however have to be careful where you chose to fly. You can actually listen to FAA air-traffic to determine when its safe, but usually just listening for helicopters is sufficient.

That's good to know. From what I have been reading I thought I would be flying this thing in just my bathtub. Thanks again, Scott.

Just be careful and obey the guidelines and you'll be fine, try not to be too nervous! And of course, have fun with it :)

This is wrong. From the FAA:

1. Do I have to notify all airports within five miles of where I want to fly recreationally?
    Yes, you must contact any airports (including heliports and sea-based airports) and air traffic control towers within five miles of your proposed area of operations if flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95, Section 336).

2. Can an airport operator object to model aircraft flights near an airport?
    Yes, an airport operator can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the airspace. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. Unsafe flying in spite of the objection of an airport operator may be evidence that the operator was endangering the safety of the National Airspace System. Additionally, the UAS operator must comply with any applicable airspace requirements.

This is wrong. From the FAA:

1. Do I have to notify all airports within five miles of where I want to fly recreationally?
    Yes, you must contact any airports (including heliports and sea-based airports) and air traffic control towers within five miles of your proposed area of operations if flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95, Section 336).

2. Can an airport operator object to model aircraft flights near an airport?
    Yes, an airport operator can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the airspace. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. Unsafe flying in spite of the objection of an airport operator may be evidence that the operator was endangering the safety of the National Airspace System. Additionally, the UAS operator must comply with any applicable airspace requirements.

Isn't this for 107 holders? Not hobbyists?

Isn't this for 107 holders? Not hobbyists?
No, this is specifically for hobbyists. Part 107 holders are governed by airspace classifications.

I'm not a Drone Police, btw... Just wanted to make sure everyone knows what the rules are.

I'm not a Drone Police, btw... Just wanted to make sure everyone knows what the rules are.

Understood, wow that's unfortunate. I was on hold for two hours with PHL trying to get approval for a location just inside the 5 mile wall :(

That is why I was asking. I've read the FAA requirements for hobbyists but I saw Jake's videos and I wanted to see how he was able to do that. Thanks everyone.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun