DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quick question about shutter speed/pan blur

Joedeertay

Reactions
Hey all,

I finally got my mavic!! What an amazing piece of technology...

I'm new to filming and have just being using the auto 4k 24fps setting.... But what I have noticed is when I pan(in any direction) I get a blurry/grainy view until I stop. I know enough that this is caused by the low FPS or low shutter speed. (I have adjusted my smooth gimbal/etc so it pans very slow)

My question is, is the anyway to adjust ONLY the shutter speed without having to go full manual mode(which since I'm new, I know I will get bad shots and I leave for my honeymoon in Aruba in 5 days.

All I want to do is get 4k 24/30fps with 50/60 shutter speed and I was just wondering if there was a way to accomplish this without disabling auto? Why didn't DJI do this in the first place becuase this is fps/shutter speed rule of thumb?

I just got Litchi, haven't really played around with it yet so don't know if I could do it there...

Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

If you use the right ND filter for the lighting conditions, the auto setting will likely bring your shutter speed close to where you want it.

I was in the same boat as you when I first got mine. Wanted an easy solution to get great shots every time.

I've come to conclude that you can get a decent shot leaving everything on auto and letting the camera figure out shutter speed and ISO but you're going to have to get into manual mode and buy some filters to get the most out of it. Spend an hour and read up on manual settings and you should be able to figure it out.

Also shooting in 4K at 24fps made it tough to get smooth shots when panning at all. Try 2.7K at 30fps.

Last edited:
And if you're going to get some ND filters, go with a Taco set. I have the Polar Pros and the Tacos and there's no question that the Tacos are the way to go.

YES! Definitely Taco Filters! If you can afford the extra few $ go for the Multi Coated (MC) ones.

Are you getting motion blur when the quad is yawing ?

I notice the motion blur is very exaggerated on mine as well.

So much so that sometimes any straight lines or edges have this flashing effect in both manual and auto modes.

I do however notice that 24 fps on 4k is better than 30 fps.

But even 30 fps on 2.7 is bad as well.

Have to do super slow yaw movements or it looks horrible

Are you getting motion blur when the quad is yawing ?

I notice the motion blur is very exaggerated on mine as well.

So much so that sometimes any straight lines or edges have this flashing effect in both manual and auto modes.

I do however notice that 24 fps on 4k is better than 30 fps.

But even 30 fps on 2.7 is bad as well.

Have to do super slow yaw movements or it looks horrible
Same here, have to plan shots carefully to avoid any fast pans or its unwatchable.

So Could this be a hardware issue or firmware?

I wonder if a better SD card with higher right speeds would help
I am using one of the fastest cards out there so that is not the issue, I am not a photographer but I do know you are supposed to keep the shutter twice the frame rate, and the only way to do this on a semi-bright to sunny day is to use a ND filter. I got mine in and the weather has cleared so I will try various settings today.

Last edited:
I am using one of the fastest cards out there so that is not the issue, I am not a photographer but I do know you are supposed to keep the shutter speed twice the frame rate, and the only way to do this on a semi-bright to sunny day is to use a ND filter. I got mine in and the weather has cleared so I will try various settings today.

Awesome

Looking forward to your results

Yes should be twice the speed for shutter

Ie 30 fps should be 1\60 th shutter.

On a brite day I guess you would need ND filter or it may be over exposed

I am using one of the fastest cards out there so that is not the issue, I am not a photographer but I do know you are supposed to keep the shutter twice the frame rate, and the only way to do this on a semi-bright to sunny day is to use a ND filter. I got mine in and the weather has cleared so I will try various settings today.
how did the filters work?

how did the filters work?
Actually they worked great, the ND4 is really not needed on the Mavic. Even the ND 8 is a little light for a sunny day so I am using the 8 for cloudy bright and the 16 for sunny, easy to get the shutter speed twice the frame rate, and really improves the video.

Reactions: razors
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929