DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

R or L hand throttle

flightmike

Reactions
Just joined & getting into flying. Bought a MJX X100 to learn with. $168 with bunch of spare parts, worth it for what I want. Looking forward to upgrade in time.
I have a lot of questions and am finding a lot of info out there. 1 question I haven't found is on the transmitter option of right or left throttle. I didn't know much and did what was comfortable and have it on left throttle stick. A friend that flies said most control throttle with right hand. I tried changing and couldn't get more than 5' off the ground and crashed a few times. Hence the $100 practice quad. Getting better but still feels more comfortable on left.
Question is, does it matter, are most good transmitters changeable? Should I keep trying to train my brain to right? I'm right handed if that matters.
Anyway thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I'm one of the strange people who has the right stick for up/down & Yaw on the right stick. That's the opposite to the vast majority but for me (left handed) it's the setup that feels most intuitive to fly.

Go with what you're already comfortable with .

Buying a "practice quad" is a great idea & makes a wonderful training aid for anyone considering upping their game and getting a high-end drone like the Mavic Pro.

I use 3 toy / budget micro-drones nearly everyday , in the house , to hone my flying skills. I fly all of mine , including the Mavic Pro via LEFT throttle. I've tried R throttle and it just doesn't feel natural.

Ultimately , it just boils down to personal preference and comfort. Do what works for you & comes naturally and allows you to fly in a more controlled and SAFE manner.

Welcome to the forum Thumbswayup

I'm one of the strange people who has the right stick for up/down & Yaw on the right stick. That's the opposite to the vast majority but for me (left handed) it's the setup that feels most intuitive to fly.
That is called stick mode 3 while the very common mode when swapping the sticks is called mode 2.
I am using mode 3, too. Just set your desired mode within the GO app.
Even if you want to fly the Mavic via WIFI you can set the stick mode for the virtual sticks to 3.

Although it's entirely up to you, just be aware that should you ever hand your remote to someone else that's used to the opposite setup, the result would be the same if you were to allow someone else to drive your car and forgot to tell them the gas pedal is now on the left and brake on the right.

Reactions: ACR
As a few have already stated, do what is most comfortable for you and "stick" with it! :p

If you're looking for advice though, I would suggest the most common setup which is "Mode 2":
- Left Stick Up/Down: Throttle/Collective/Altitude - It all depends on the aircraft you're flying, in the case of the Mavic, I would call it the Altitude adjustment.
- Left Stick Left/Right: Yaw/Heading adjustment.
- Right Stick Up/Down: Pitch or general movement forward and aft.
- Right Stick Left/Right: Roll or general movement laterally left and right.

For me being an actual helicopter pilot, also flying all types of R/C aircraft from fixed wing to helicopters and racing quads: the Mode 2 setup makes the most sense and is most natural for me. In a real helicopter your left hand controls overall altitude with the collective and your right hand controls pitch and roll with the cyclic. The mode 2 setup basically mimics a real helicopter, right stick is the cyclic and the left stick is a combination of the collective and pedals. Again though, do what feels natural to you! I guarantee you that even though I have thousands of hours of flying all sorts of aircraft, if you gave me something in any other mode, even if I knew and mentally understood exactly what mode it was in, you would see it in the air for maybe just a few seconds before it shot itself back into the dirt. Muscle memory always prevails. Hope this helps and happy flying. Kudos by the way for getting a little bit of a cheaper quad to learn how to fly. It'll pay off later when you lose GPS signal for whatever reason and you have to fly it by your own wits! Never resort to just letting go of the controls, always fly the aircraft!

I agree, as a beginner today I would try to learn with mode 2, too. But if there is already a history of many years with flying another mode it is very dangerous trying to change it. I always say, the stick mode gets hard-coded into the brain, similar to the BIOS at a PC... :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS