DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Radar direction interference possibly from controller

moswissa

Reactions
I have noticed a fairly common issue about how the radar on the DJI go app sometimes deals with some interference from the controller antenna, in which the map gets all wacky. I'm using the iPhone 6.
It gets really annoying. Never had this issue with the phantom. When I use the FPV camera app, I have no issues.

There is a YouTube video showing how turning the phone in the opposite direction fixed the issue. Meaning the home button is on the right side. Only problem is that you have to use a USB cord. Anyone else dealing with this? I hope DJI addresses the issue soon.

I had that issue, always when pitching forward with the right stick. It's the magnetometers in the joystick which causes the issue I think. I solved it by making sure that my device (a Sony Xperia Z3) is positioned in the clamp so it's not touching the main body of the rc, i.e. there's a gap between the rc and the device.

Reactions: Bunny Too
I have noticed a fairly common issue about how the radar on the DJI go app sometimes deals with some interference from the controller antenna, in which the map gets all wacky. I'm using the iPhone 6.
It gets really annoying. Never had this issue with the phantom. When I use the FPV camera app, I have no issues.

There is a YouTube video showing how turning the phone in the opposite direction fixed the issue. Meaning the home button is on the right side. Only problem is that you have to use a USB cord. Anyone else dealing with this? I hope DJI addresses the issue soon.

Please describe "wacky".

I've had no specific issues with the iPhone 6+ and GO other than occasional non-connection. Sometimes the orientation of the position plot (it is not "radar") doesn't seem to be correctly oriented.

Please describe "wacky".

I've had no specific issues with the iPhone 6+ and GO other than occasional non-connection. Sometimes the orientation of the position plot (it is not "radar") doesn't seem to be correctly oriented.

Certainly, so the homepoint when looking on the map it's normally at the 6 o'clock position but it would randomly goto the 9, 3 and then back to normal again. It's appears to be some kind of interference. When this happens it's really hard to tell what direction the bird is facing. If I lock the map it's fine but I lose the function of knowing the direction.

Certainly, so the homepoint when looking on the map it's normally at the 6 o'clock position but it would randomly goto the 9, 3 and then back to normal again. It's appears to be some kind of interference. When this happens it's really hard to tell what direction the bird is facing. If I lock the map it's fine but I lose the function of knowing the direction.

Okay, then I've had similar. But I don't depend on that display I depend on my own "tracking" of where it is relative to me and using the video for finer location. (I study the flying area well on Google Earth before going out).

It could indeed be the internal mag compass of the iPhone is disturbed by something in the RC. So orienting it the other way might mitigate that.

Okay, then I've had similar. But I don't depend on that display I depend on my own "tracking" of where it is relative to me and using the video for finer location. (I study the flying area well on Google Earth before going out).

It could indeed be the internal mag compass of the iPhone is disturbed by something in the RC. So orienting it the other way might mitigate that.
I read a post a while back where a pilot had interference during a flight which caused an erratic flying pattern and crash landing. One of the observations made by Bud Walker was that the triangle on the map that shows the location AND orientation of the Mavic was incorrect. The arrow was pointed 90 degrees in a different direction. It was discussed that this may have been an early warning sign. Much like you would check your HP on the map before take off to verify accuracy and positon, the point of the arrow may be telling as well. As a result of that, I don't take off unless I have the arrow pointing correctly. I have only had it be off once. I changed locations and it was fine. Maybe something. Maybe nothing.

I read a post a while back where a pilot had interference during a flight which caused an erratic flying pattern and crash landing. One of the observations made by Bud Walker was that the triangle on the map that shows the location AND orientation of the Mavic was incorrect. The arrow was pointed 90 degrees in a different direction. It was discussed that this may have been an early warning sign. Much like you would check your HP on the map before take off to verify accuracy and positon, the point of the arrow may be telling as well. As a result of that, I don't take off unless I have the arrow pointing correctly. I have only had it be off once. I changed locations and it was fine. Maybe something. Maybe nothing.

All fine and dandy but I've had that display look perfect and then a minute later be 90° off. I don't trust it.

I had that issue, always when pitching forward with the right stick. It's the magnetometers in the joystick which causes the issue I think. I solved it by making sure that my device (a Sony Xperia Z3) is positioned in the clamp so it's not touching the main body of the rc, i.e. there's a gap between the rc and the device.

My iPhone is always touching the controller. Next time I'll fly I'll leave a gap between the phone and RC. Maybe it will resolve the issue.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast

My iPhone is always touching the controller. Next time I'll fly I'll leave a gap between the phone and RC. Maybe it will resolve the issue.

By the way, the issue doesn't seem to happen at all in Litchi strangely enough......

By the way, the issue doesn't seem to happen at all in Litchi strangely enough......

I noticed just now that when all my other apps are shut down. The radar direction is fine. Although something the homepoint goes from it's 6 o'clock position to 3 o'clock then it confuses me again but it's getting better. I'll keep trying.

I never used litchi, in used to using FPV camera app with my goggles and it's awesome but hasn't been working too well with the Mavic as the livestream lags badly. I emailed the developers and they usually respond back quickly.

This is definitely a problem with DJIs app and not the controller. I'm not even using Litchi, I use an app called FPV camera and it works perfect. The directional map is perfect and I feel safe using it.

The DJI GO APP is having major issues with the radar direction. Mine doesn't even point at the H point, rather it's all scrambled. The only way I found that works is if I rotate the phone to the opposite direction it but that requires me to use a USB cable which is inconvenient!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crumple