DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Radio Check...

Ryder

Reactions
Old (ish) fart, new to drones. (did RC planes a gazillion years ago... see, there was this thing called "balsa"... Nevermind. You'd not understand. :)

Reviewing my stats...
I have a smoking 1 hour and 15 minutes flying time... with the longest flight of 10 whole minutes!

Average flight time, 3 minutes... (much of that hovering in the house dinking around with settings and such.)
Furthest: 10,000' out
Highest:400' AGL
Total distance: 9.1 miles
Top speed: 40mph

Translation: total newb.

In that time, I've flown at 5 spectacular locations in N. California. Talked to a couple of nice rangers, including one that said "we don't allow RC aircraft, but you have *my* permission to fly now... there's nobody around." How cool is that? It helps to be in your 50's. Kids: don't bother. You won't be trusted for decades. With good reason.

As it turns out, I've managed to fly in high winds nearly every single time with the Mav sending me warning messages continually... with no problems. Almost all my flights have been over water as the Mav seems to be naturally attracted to it, judging from the footage everyone is posting. The rest of the flights have been in controlled airspace.

I'm generally law abiding and have called my local airport tower more than a few times to give them a heads up on my intentions (~3mi from airport center). This has always gone just fine. Hint: Don't ask for permission. They can't give it. Just tell them you wanted to give them a "heads up"... if they have a problem with that, they'll tell you.

I registered with the FAA, but pulled off my ID sticker last Friday.

Started flying real planes at age 13... but I don't fly them anymore. Jumped out of them too. The parachute usually opened, and in all cases I landed safely.

I served 4 years in the US Coast Guard, doing the air rescue thing. HH-3F Helos, C-130's and Falcon 20's.

I got my Mav because my son let me try his... and having not crashed it like I did his helicopter a few years before, I figured this might be more my speed. "Dad, if you get into trouble, just let go of the sticks."

Glad to have found MavicPilots... seems to be a fine bunch o dudes.

Fly safe.

Welcome to DronePilots newest forum :)

Lovely intro. I remember balsa, crash landings and tears at seeing months of work explode into lots of little pieces ha ha.
The Mavic is much easier for us older generation, no fighting trying to keep it in one place. Enjoy your bird, its great fun, I am introducing my grandchildren to little flights and they love it.

Old (ish) fart, new to drones. (did RC planes a gazillion years ago... see, there was this thing called "balsa"... Nevermind. You'd not understand. :)

Reviewing my stats...
I have a smoking 1 hour and 15 minutes flying time... with the longest flight of 10 whole minutes!

Average flight time, 3 minutes... (much of that hovering in the house dinking around with settings and such.)

In that time, I've flown at 5 spectacular locations in N. California. Talked to a couple of nice rangers, including one that said "we don't allow RC aircraft, but you have *my* permission to fly now... there's nobody around." How cool is that? It helps to be in your 50's. Kids: don't bother. You won't be trusted for decades. With good reason.

As it turns out, I've managed to fly in high winds nearly every single time with the Mav sending me warning messages continually... with no problems. Almost all my flights have been over water as the Mav seems to be naturally attracted to it, judging from the footage everyone is posting. The rest of the flights have been in controlled airspace.

I'm generally law abiding and have called my local airport tower more than a few times to give them a heads up on my intentions (~3mi from airport center). This has always gone just fine. Hint: Don't ask for permission. They can't give it. Just tell them you wanted to give them a "heads up"... if they have a problem with that, they'll tell you.

Started flying real planes at age 13... but I don't fly them anymore. Jumped out of them too. The parachute usually opened, and in all cases I landed safely.

I served 4 years in the US Coast Guard, doing the air rescue thing. HH-3F Helos, C-130's and Falcon 20's.

I got my Mav because my son let me try his... and having not crashed it like I did his helicopter a few years before, I figured this might be more my speed. "Dad, if you get into trouble, just let go of the sticks."

Fly safe.
Howdy from Wyoming Ryder, welcome to the community. Plenty of fine folk (some who remember balsa) and excellent information here.

Reviewing my stats...

Fly safe.

I remember balsa but didn't do a lot of it. I also don't miss the various finger nicks trying to start that little very noisy fuel motor!
Welcome aboard.

Reactions: darren6270
Welcome to Mavic Pilots Forum.....lots of good info to learn hereThumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11