DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rain While Flying

hkdman

Reactions
Hello - I live in Southern California. I don't know if you all heard, but it was raining a ton yesterday. Anyway - it cleared up a little today so I figured I would take my Mavic out (just around my house). Anyway - a few minutes into flying it started to rain again. Luckily I was only about 1800 feet away so I was able to get it back quickly and dried off the drone (it was only a little wet). Anyway - that got me thinking. I know that electronics and water = a really bad day. But have you ever flown your mavic when it was raining - any issues? Just curious how much water these things can take before they malfunction.

Certainly wasn't designed for operating in the rain. I didn't note any glaring vulnerabilities to rain such as a venting port on the top which rain water could flow into, so hopefully you're OK. The windings of the electric motors are of course exposed, probably to improve the in-flight air-cooling of them. I would leave the un-folded Mavic out on a table in a dry place for at least a couple of hours.

I've been tempted to take my Mavic out for a short flight this weekend because we're now having a break in the rains up here in the San Francisco Bay Area. But then I reminded myself of how easy it is for a slight drizzle to suddenly start to come down when the clouds are overcast. My Mavic is grounded for all flight operations this weekend.

:(

I didn't note any glaring vulnerabilities to rain such as a venting port on the top which rain water could flow into, so hopefully you're OK.

There is a venting port in the front with a fan that assists in drawing in air to cool the mother board and other internal electronics. I have no idea to what extent, if any, rain or dampness would be drawn into the internals at 20+ miles per hour through this venting port. I will wait for dry weather.

People have done it, but it is a risk. I certainly would not intentionally fly in the rain (or fog, or snow). It is not waterproof.

Completely agree with everyone's comments. As soon as it started to rain, I brought it back. Too expensive of a toy to risk it going down from water damage!

I can't find the video right off but there's a guy on YouTube that had money to burn. Basically he demonstrated how tough the MP is. One of his tests was to put the MP into a hover and then he completely drenched it for awhile with one of those water cannons. It didn't affect it. He crashed it, cooked it, dropped it and knocked it out of the air. As a result of the abuse he put that thing through he sold me on owning one. I'm sure I'm not speaking for most people on this forum but after watching that video I'm not too worried about a little rain. I'm not saying that I'd keep flying if it's raining but I wouldn't get bent out shape about the moisture on the flight back to home plate.

Sent from my SM-T280 using MavicPilots mobile app

The Mavic may also have water sensors (I've seen reference to them but no hard proof) in which case even though the drone may survive the rain fine, if it changes the water sensor then a legimate warranty claim may be refused.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka