DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range test with signal antenna booster

Rflush

Reactions
Hello all,

Some of you guys were wondering about those antenna signal boosters that act like little satellite cones. I bought one from taobao, a Chinese eBay site. Similar to this:
https://sites.create-cdn.net/siteimages/31/6/1/316100/14/0/6/14068841/500x500.jpg?1480965118

I live in Hong Kong and we have a lot of very tall buildings with lots of magnetic interference. I was able to go to an isolated part of the city and fly my Mavic over the water to test the range. I did four tests, two with the booster on and two without. These are just my records and I'm sure ymmv.

All flights were at 70-90 metre agl altitudes.

1) No Booster: 3525 metres out before losing RC signal and me turning around
2) With Booster: 2469 metres out with lots of signal interference warnings and then losing RC connection and regaining again on and off. I turned the Mavic around at this point.
3) No Booster 3435 metres out with decent RC signal but kept losing HD connection.
4) With Booster 3177 metres out with constant RC disconnection and HD disconnection.

All flights I never initiated RTH and always manually brought back the mavic. I'm too scared to go further, lose total connection and let the RTH kick in (don't want any fly away problems). I tested the limits to where I felt any further would cause a total disconnect. I did lose signal a few times on all my flights before regaining.

These are just my findings and I will do further tests at different locations. I will upload screenshots later.

Reactions: gusvictor
Why don't the boosters seem to work on the Mavic? Don't think I've seen any situation where the boosters actually boost!!

Reactions: younumpty
I'm probably telling you something you already know, but with that type of booster it's critical that you keep the antennas pointing directly at the Mavic, as your transmission beam is much narrower, and it's easy to lose signal.

Reactions: Sandovaal
I'm probably telling you something you already know, but with that type of booster it's critical that you keep the antennas pointing directly at the Mavic, as your transmission beam is much narrower, and it's easy to lose signal.
Yes, all flights were with correct antenna position

Why don't the boosters seem to work on the Mavic? Don't think I've seen any situation where the boosters actually boost!!

Have those parabolic boosters on my P3. Printed them and lined them with stick on Aluminium foil. Work great. Not so for mavic. Perhaps it's the occusync vs the mavic vs the lightbridge?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I bought some range boosters from Best Buy for 20.00 US. They actually made my range less effective. Pretty flat and congested where I am. I would like to get somewhere like Denver and see what it can really do.

I bought some range boosters from Best Buy for 20.00 US. They actually made my range less effective. Pretty flat and congested where I am. I would like to get somewhere like Denver and see what it can really do.

Yep the booster PowerPro I got at Best Buy was horrible.

Yep the booster PowerPro I got at Best Buy was horrible.
I took them back so fast smh. Im not interested in modifying my controller. Now if a second one falls in my lap for around 50-75 dollars i would do something to it. But other than that I have to be content for now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas