DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RAW images not working since update v.0800

Howiedoin

Reactions
Hi guys,
I usually shoot video in 4k 25fps and still images in RAW format.
I've always been able to transfer them to my Mac (2017 5k iMac, if it matters), open them in preview if i wanted a quick look or open them in Fotor Photo Editor which i normally use to do my editing.
All this has gone pear shaped since i did the update to the latest firmware.
I took the Mavic out yesterday and got some great pics and video, got them home all excited to have a play with the images, put the SD card in my mac and all the files were there as usual (sweet!), dragged them to my desktop as i do, went to have a quick look at an image using preview and it was just a black 16:9 size box. Thats it! :-(
The thumbnail on my desktop even shows the image that SHOULD be there but when i try to open it, its just a black box.
The same thing happened when i tried to open it using the Fotor app.
I did a test and took a few stills using JPEG format and they work perfectly. I checked my video footage as well and there's nothing wrong with it. It's just the RAW images that don't work.
I've tried everything, resetting camera settings, refreshing firmware and nothing is working.
Has anyone had a experience similar to this or knows what might fix it?
It's really starting to do my head in!

Sorry for the novel length post guys but i appreciate you reading it. Kinda desperate over here!

Cheers,
Mark

Reactions: Noel
I don't suppose it's a widespread issue or more would have reported it.
Can you upload one of the DNGs on Dropbox or Google drive to se if others can view it?
I wonder if they made a subtle change and its the iMac can't read it.
I seem to recall some RAW software won't open files if some of the hidden descriptive components are missing or not as expected.
If so that sounds more like (another) DJI goof up but there might be a workaround.

Ok the plot thickens. I've uploaded the image to Google Drive, i double clicked on it for s&%ts and giggles...... and the stupid thing opened like there was nothing wrong with it. WTF is going on? :-/
hopefully this link takes you to the image so you can investigate further...
DJI_0175.DNG

So like you said, maybe something has been changed and now the Mac can't read it.....
i'm so lost right now! haha

Reactions: Daniel3257
What are you using to open them? That image on Dropbox opens fine for me in Preview (OSX/El Capitan).

Check for system updates - sometimes there's a 'Camera RAW' update in there.

i use preview to have a quick look at images or Fotor Photo Editor to do my editing.
I just checked and everything is up to date as far as system updates are concerned.
I opened a few older images that would've been captured on the older firmware and they open without any problems.
I'm using OS/Sierra fwiw

That's very strange. What OS are you running?

I have no scientific reason to suspect this would work, but have you tried deleting them and re-importing from the SD card? Possibly via a different card reader etc. Or drag-n-drop vs the import function in some programs.

Well hopefully someone smarter than me comes along soon then!

I suppose you don't have another device to view them on, or even just to email them to yourself with? My phone (for example) has a micro-SD card...

I usually put the card into the back of my iMac, then drag and drop to my desktop. It's the way i've always done it and never had any dramas.
Thx for the feedback :) yep Sydney. 'The Gap' in Watsons Bay. About as close as i can get to Sydney Harbour without having a RePL & ReOC. haha
I've started a videography business just recently so i'm trying to build a portfolio of sorts. I'll link the video in here once it's all finished and up on my Facebook page and YouTube channel. :)

Reactions: VortexSpin
Hi All,

I have the same issue.
Screenshot 2017-06-13 19.07.49.png

Also I have noticed that when shooting RAW photos in portrait mode there is as blue band across the bottom. I have only just begun shooting RAWs in portrait so not sure if this is related to the latest firmware update. The JPEGs directly from the Mavic don't have the same issue nor the RAWs shot in landscape mode.

Screenshot 2017-06-13 19.11.04.png

Reactions: dlphotography_15
Same problem here...black box, unsupported file format. Even more strange, I ran it through Adobe DNG converter, which said 'converted' and dumped a thumbnail on my desktop....clicked on it, and wound up with a black box again! I'm using an iMac, and had no problem with previous raw files before the latest update on the Mavic.

So Rockydog's comment makes me believe that it's the update and not my iMac.
I've contemplated trying to go back to V.0700 or earlier but I dunno if it'll stuff everything up.
The worst part is the I use the Mavic for videography/aerial photography jobs, so this could start costing me money shortly :-(

But how comes ideogenic can open your file?
If you believe it's the firmware - just flash an older version. No need to worry.

Hmm. I upgraded to .800 and haven't had this issue. I've literally just popped up the MP to take some pics and double check, and it works.

EDIT UPDATE...
For me, this issue seems to appear with some apps, but not others.
Luminar (my default editor) and Adobe Photoshop Elements work, without problems.
Xee3 (a file viewer utility) opens DNG files shot with earlier firmware, but can't open images taken with the latest firmware. Same thing with Pixelmator.

I'm using a MacBook Pro, running Mac OSX 10.25.5 and a 2.7GHz Core i7 processor.

Last edited:
Hmm. I upgraded to .800 and haven't had this issue. I've literally just popped up the MP to take some pics and double check, and it works.

EDIT UPDATE...
For me, this issue seems to appear with some apps, but not others.
Luminar (my default editor) and Adobe Photoshop Elements work, without problems.
Xee3 (a file viewer utility) opens DNG files shot with earlier firmware, but can't open images taken with the latest firmware. Same thing with Pixelmator.

I'm using a MacBook Pro, running Mac OSX 10.25.5 and a 2.7GHz Core i7 processor.
Are you using an iMac?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian