DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Raw video play back flicking issues

Marshy

Reactions
Can't seems to attach a video to show the issue, but basically the raw videos play fine in QuickTime/handbrake etc yet in adobe premiere cs6 it's doesn't play back as smoothly and has a type of pixel flicking going on (not sure how else to describe it) yet when it's edited/rendered and saved its play fine anywhere else (still not great in premiere though)
I've used premiere for a few years with 5D/GoPro etc and not had these issues before.
Any idea what needs resetting to suit mavic footage?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

What resolution are you shooting at? I can already tel you off the bat that you need to turn down your playback resolution in the bottom right corner to at least 1/2. Playback smoothness will really depend on your hardware and can be pretty taxing on your system. My last video had about 100 clips incorporated into the sequence and I had to set my resolution to 1/4 or 1/8 to play it all back smoothly and to add keyframes and such. For reference, I shoot in 2.7k d-cinelike -1,0,0.

Reactions: grizzard
Can't seems to attach a video to show the issue, but basically the raw videos play fine in QuickTime/handbrake etc yet in adobe premiere cs6 it's doesn't play back as smoothly and has a type of pixel flicking going on (not sure how else to describe it) yet when it's edited/rendered and saved its play fine anywhere else (still not great in premiere though)
I've used premiere for a few years with 5D/GoPro etc and not had these issues before.
Any idea what needs resetting to suit mavic footage?

I'm not an expert but what video settings are you recording at? I used Adobe Premier Pro some 15 years ago but technology and software have improved a lot since then. For my needs (I do a lot of FSX videos) I use Wondershare's Filmora and it does an excellent and easy job of editing and doesn't take a huge amount of time in rendering.

Thanks for reply's. Well I've shot in 4K and 2.7k with same issue and also converted a clip with handbrake down to 1080p and still same issue, I've already have playback set for 1/8 and it's not the smoothness that's the issue so much more the pixel flicking that's causing the issue.
*the computers handled 1080p/60fps etc happily in the past so don't think it's hardware issue.

I wonder if freemake video converter might do the trick. It's free and I've had good luck with it. Might be worth a try anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MavicPilots mobile app

My guess is that you are capturing with sharpeners turned up too much. I see pixel flickering in all the DJI camera default settings. Try turning sharpness down a few notches. You can always add it back later in premiere (which will do a much better job sharpening than DJI's camera algorithms).

This is just a guess - not a lot of info to go on.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply's. Well I've shot in 4K and 2.7k with same issue and also converted a clip with handbrake down to 1080p and still same issue, I've already have playback set for 1/8 and it's not the smoothness that's the issue so much more the pixel flicking that's causing the issue.
*the computers handled 1080p/60fps etc happily in the past so don't think it's hardware issue.

What's your specs of your computer? I.e. CPU, GPU and RAM?

My MacBook used to do 1080 at 60fps fine but anything above that didn't work even with the resolution turned down. It was choppy and green pixelated squares that would flicker on the screen.

Now running an Alienware 17R3 which is i7 quad with GTX970 and 16GB RAM with PCIe SSDs and I can playback 4K in full res.

Best way to find out? Put that video on a USB stick and try it on someone else's high-powered computer. Or if you want, if you can upload the video to Dropbox or google drive and PM me the link I'll run it on my machine in Adobe PR and see if I can play it back fine? :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus