DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ready to buy Mavic------------but!

woodmnctry

Reactions
Total newbie here ready to take the plunge and buy the Mavic -- but --- I really want to sort out the tablet part prior to diving in to the deep end of the pool. I have been reading on this forum how Apple based pads are a good thing and Android pads are a hit or miss Ruh Roh!. That is a major bummer for me as I am a dedicated Droid guy and really do not plan on going over to the other side. I may have a deal on a Nexus 7 (2013) but have seen several posts with negative comments on going this route ---UGH!!

I haven't had any trouble with my Nexus 7 (2013). I usually fly with Apple devices though since I always have one in my pocket.

Saw a gentleman running the Nexus 7 in our showroom the other day and according to him it's been fine. I personally will recommend iOS but that's coming from an Apple guy ;)

Feel free to reach out if we can be of any help.

Mike

I suppose that means dji=ios........syma=ios or android

I would not mind having an android device to make my calls or navigate, but to fly my mavic? NO WAY

I feel your confusion here... been there myself. Below is my thought process as I battled with this same dilemma. Hope it helps...

Never Ending Debates...

I have a Phantom 2 (that hasn't been flown much) but I'm sitting on the fence trying to Read more about using my Android devices. I'm ready to place the Order for a Mavic... I'd like to use my Motorola Android phone.

Last edited:
And what is that suppose to mean?

I would think your fealty to Android is a lower priority than your pleasure and enjoyment of flying your Mavic. If not, well, I'm sorry for you. It would be a simple change of mind to increase your enjoyment in life, no? I've a 3 week old iPad Mini 4 WiFi I'll sell you for $29 less than I paid for it at Apple Refurbished store, shipped to conus on my dime. Reason for parting with it? I want the GPS for motorcycle touring, maps and what not. I forgot about that aspect when I bought the WiFi version. Found I like the mini4 so much I really wanted the cellular too, so ordered that today for arrival tomorrow. It's an opportunity for you. PM me if interested. I can probably ship it tomorrow if the post office has open hours on Saturday morning.

OK -- I'm getting the message --- get a mini 4 or other Apple device ---now for another ??--- will a pad without GPS in any affect the use of the Mavic??--- I really did not know that the Mini 4 did not have GPS --- my Samsung Pads have GPS thus bad assumption on my part -- DUH!

The iPads with cellular have GPS, the wifi only ones do not. About all you lose is maps on demand (can be cached while on wifi however) and ability to change your RTH location after launch.

will a pad without GPS in any affect the use of the Mavic?
Without GPS on the mobile device, you cannot use the Follow Me feature or manually reset the home point to your current position after taking off. If needed, you could still reset the home point to the Mavic's current position.

If you are still considering Android... I;ve been flying mine with Oppo R9s and have around 30 plus flights with it so far.

no issues , no hangs and no crashes so far..
and it doesn't heat up like a bitc* in heat either..

so plus plus for me

Total newbie here ready to take the plunge and buy the Mavic -- but --- I really want to sort out the tablet part prior to diving in to the deep end of the pool. I have been reading on this forum how Apple based pads are a good thing and Android pads are a hit or miss Ruh Roh!. That is a major bummer for me as I am a dedicated Droid guy and really do not plan on going over to the other side. I may have a deal on a Nexus 7 (2013) but have seen several posts with negative comments on going this route ---UGH!!
Don't be hung up about Android vs iOS. These things are tools. When working with tools it is usually a good idea to get the best tool to get the job done. Would you take a sub par hammer because you don't like the other brand?

Non cellular iPad minis also don't have the barometer to give height information. This can be used in some follow controller (or magic lease) flight modes when the device moves up or down hills for example.

Bought the ipad mini 4 cellular without activation just because of this forum. Have always been android for phone. But the larger screen and the way it so snugly fits is a win.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60