DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Really scared.

Lightsped

Reactions
I ordered a Mavic from B&H earlier today. I have been browsing through the DJI forums and am really scared.....

I already have all sorts of nightmares when using Mavic with Android. I have a very busy life working two jobs and I am not super techno savy, meaning I don't have the time or desire to spend more time troubleshooting various problems when using Android, problems with downloading FW, problems with cracking batteries, etc....

Guess my question is, should I simply return the Mavic when it arrives? I really like the idea and would love to do aerial photography, but I am nervous that this thing will be more trouble than I have time to spend.

Thanks

Reactions: Bunny Too
Remember, forums are where people come too and find answers to problems.

Play with it and if there are issues, exchange it. But I wouldn't return it based on what you read on forums.

Now that DJI has caught up on their production, their issues might be resolved and QC might be improved.

Enjoy it and just do what you had planned.

Yes, I realize that forums are where most people are trying to fix problems or vent on their problems. I am just trying to determine if this whole Mavic thing is gonna be a problematic as it appears. I rather send it back if the reliability is gonna cause me to pull my hair out in anger. Seems like there are soooo many threads in various forums saying the same things. Are these really isolated problems? Or is reliability and ease of use really not as advertised by DJI?

Thanks

Lightsped, I started with the Phantom 2, I have done every update on my 2, 3Pro and now the Mavic. I have had one issue and that was a bad motor that DJI replaced for no charge. A LOT of what you read is “operator error”. Of course there is always a possibility of a lemon, but it is not as high as you might be led to believe by the forums.

I ordered a Mavic from B&H earlier today. I have been browsing through the DJI forums and am really scared.....

I already have all sorts of nightmares when using Mavic with Android. I have a very busy life working two jobs and I am not super techno savy, meaning I don't have the time or desire to spend more time troubleshooting various problems when using Android, problems with downloading FW, problems with cracking batteries, etc....

Guess my question is, should I simply return the Mavic when it arrives? I really like the idea and would love to do aerial photography, but I am nervous that this thing will be more trouble than I have time to spend.

Thanks
The only person that can answer that question is you. What is your fear? Fear of losing your investment? That's common; I am the king of buyer's remorse. Every toy I purchase I feel guilty about...for a while.

Keep your order, read EVERYTHING you can including the manual. Grab a beer and watch as many YouTube vids as you can. If it seems like too much, sell it. You won't lose much if anything as long as it is in good shape. That said, I am still freaked out every time I fly, but it is a blast.

Actually I think the Mavic is not supposed to be a first quad to start with. It's far to capable.
If you never have owned a quad before I would suggest to buy something cheap with a built in camera and play with that for a while. They teach you how to fly because most (the really cheap ones) don't have a GPS. Or get a second hand Phantom 1 with an old Gopro for less than 100 bucks.

Thanks
Get an Apple product so you can use IOS! Problem solved!

Fear not Lightsped! I am new to DJI, after owning and flying a 3DR Iris for about a year, and can say that the Mavic is an awesome and easy to operate camera drone. I moved away from 3DR due to them no longer providing support for the Iris plus the the time consuming pre-flight set up required.
Finding the Mavic so easy and quick to set up before flying has meant I am out and about flying the drone as much as possible and actively looking for subjects to film/photograph.

This forum has been a great help to me both before and after purchasing the Mavic. I think you should bear in mind that people approach forums to get help regarding quite specific problems and there must be thousands of owners who are having no problems that would generally not post as such on a forum.

Regarding Android, I have just purchased an Acer Iconia One 7 B1-780 tablet from eBay (after much research, mainly on this forum) which works well with the GO4 app. I will endeavour to post my findings when I get some more spare time.

I hope this helps to allay any fears you currently have. As previously suggested, keep the Mavic, get it out the box and into the air a few times before making your decision. It will be a little scary at first flying an expensive drone around. But go slowly and allow your confidence to increase and I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Thanks
I have had zero issues with my Mavic and the picture is razor sharp, there was a short period of time when Android did not work but they got it resolved. The drone is a great toy but a luxury. You have to decide for yourself if it is worth keeping; it is almost bleeding edge tech so there will always be hiccups.

I already have all sorts of nightmares when using Mavic with Android.
Another option would be to get an Apple device from this list. Very few people have problems when running Apple devices.

I have a very busy life working two jobs and I am not super techno savy
The Mavic has lots of settings and features. It's important to take time to read and fully understand the manual before trying to fly it. You can download the manual from the Mavic downloads page (it does not come in the box).

problems with downloading FW
The firmware update process is very easy if you follow the instructions. I think the process is more straightforward if you install the firmware from the DJI Assistant 2 application (like this). You can download that application from the Mavic downloads page.

cracking batteries
That is not a common problem.

I am nervous that this thing will be more trouble than I have time to spend.
This is definitely not a hobby where you can just unbox the new aircraft, turn it on, and start flying. If that's what you're expecting, then it might not be for you. You'll need to invest the time to understand how everything works and learn how to fly safely.

Reactions: Bunny Too
I would use it for a while to see if you are experiencing these problems as well. Don't just take other peoples problems and say I don't want this anymore, because you may not experience them. Use it for a little bit to see how you like it, and if not then return it, but don't just return it without using it, because you may regret it later

Yes, I realize that forums are where most people are trying to fix problems or vent on their problems. I am just trying to determine if this whole Mavic thing is gonna be a problematic as it appears
Most likely not. You're seeing a concentration of a couple of % of people who had issues, the vast majority is jsut flying and having fun instead of losing their time on here.

Thanks for all of the feedback. My phone I will be using is a Note 4. Hopefully I don't have any issues with it. I have never had a IOS phone. I suppose I could borrow a friend's if I had to. If the Mavic works as advertised I will be super excited to try it out. I will mainly be using it for photography. I have already downloaded Go4 onto my phone.

The MP is my first ever drone. Thing is freaking incredible. I love it and am constantly thinking about flying it all throughout the day..

My advice would be to take it to a wide open area with no obstacles after reading the manual and test it out.

Try out all the cool features.. Do a RTH and watch how it works.. KNOW about the PAUSE button. If ever you are flying and feel like you may be going towards something or similar, quickly hit the pause button on the controller. It will counter whatever it needs to so it comes to a complete stop and hover in place.

Had I known about the pause button it would have saved me from a minor crash (no damage luckily).

I'm so glad I bought this thing. Best toy I've ever had by far. I still get nervous every time I fly it but I'm starting to believe in what it can do and stop doubting / fearing that it will just fall out of the sky for no reason.

I've flown quite a few rc copters around the house and a 350 quad drone outside so I have a little experience. However, I was a bit nervous when I orderd my Mavic a few weeks ago for the same reasons you have. I also fly with androind (S6 phone and S2 tablet) and found no issues (so far), as long as all three components, quad, controller and smart device, are all using the same firmware. Have taken it out a few times in the past week, starting slow and building confidence. My guess is that it will take a month or two flying to fet more comfortable with fyling the Mavic and all it has to offer. Edit: Also, after enabling your Mavic and the controller be sure to reboot your android device or the Mavic 4 software won't see your Mavic. A pain but it works...

Last edited:
I agree, there is a steep learning curve w/ regards to controlling the mavic and the quirks that come with it. If you don't have the time to devote to it right now, you may want to return it and get a Spark which seems like it is more fotr the casual user.

The Mavic is like a guitar. You can't pick one up and expect that you will be able to play like Eddie Van Halen.

It actually takes practice, research and a lot of trial and error. This is coming from an IOS user too.

Reactions: Brainstormer

Thanks

Read my Signature line .

No need to be scared. What I recommend is seeing if someone, in your area, also has a Mavic Pro, or watch Youtube. There are a ton of videos that go from unboxing to showing you how to fly it. I was nervous, too, but it all worked out.

Reactions: Dronewerkz
Lightsped once you looked things over and before you really fly it go to the front of the DJI GO4 app into the Academy's Flight Simulator program (your controller and Mavic need to be powered up and connected to do this ) try a few basic things in beginner mode via the simulator. Once you can take off maneuver and land in the simulator you are ready for your front lawn or a small park. Be methodical about checking your settings and making sure you have a home point set with a safe altitude and you are good to go. It's one of the coolest flying toys I've ever bought..... this coming from a guy that's been playing with RC stuff for 30plus years and gets to drive an Airbus 321 around at work.
Also see if someone around you has one and can take you under their wing initially if you don't feel confident after trying the simulator. What area do you live in? I'm thinking after you try the simulator you'll be able to take that first leap.... it really does operate the same way in real life. Good luck, Steve

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121