DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recycling old phone for controller.

Mahoosiv

Reactions
I have a HTC One M8, which my wife cast off a couple months ago when she got her iPhone 6. Its mint and just sitting on my shelf - so I wondered whether its worth pressing into action as the controller device - now bear with me on this as there's method in my madness..

At the same time I'm considering using it as a goPro monitor - thereby reducing the need to to have to take my iPhone out of its case.

Is the Android up to scratch? I know next to nowt about them as I'm Apple device centric (whats a pc?) but it seems like a good use for what is essentially scrap on my desk.

I'm planning to try an old Note 3 similarly. I'm just hoping it's fast enough, since Ocusync is more software-based I suspect the image decoding is done in the phone (speculation).

Reactions: Mahoosiv
I don't think there's an appreciable difference between Android and iOS support if you're talking about DJI's own app...third party stuff varies a bit more. This particular model is the first to offer 1080p streaming so how older devices will handle the processing demand remains to be seen; you'll probably learn the most by trying it out back-to-back with your iPhone, and judging latency differences for yourself

When I got my first phantom 3 I dusted off one of my kids Galaxy tab 3's (i think thats what it was), because I figured bigger screen = better. Bigger is better, but the resolution wasn't as good as my S6 or S7. I had to manually load DJI GO because the device wasn't "supported", and even after I got everything working, the tablet was slow because of the video caching, I had to turn that off. AZ screen recorder would also slow down the live feed. Ultimately the tablet wasn't as good as my phones, in daytime especially. Plus there was baggage loading maps, etc. I stopped using it. I definitely favor a fast device with good processor, good screen, and DATA, over a dedicated device. You may share some of these drawbacks using your wife's M8. If it's just sitting around, though, give it a try.

Great answers thanks, just tried it with the GoPro app and it seemed to be perfect, at least it's not gathering dust now!

I have a HTC One M8, which my wife cast off a couple months ago when she got her iPhone 6. Its mint and just sitting on my shelf - so I wondered whether its worth pressing into action as the controller device - now bear with me on this as there's method in my madness..

At the same time I'm considering using it as a goPro monitor - thereby reducing the need to to have to take my iPhone out of its case.

Is the Android up to scratch? I know next to nowt about them as I'm Apple device centric (whats a pc?) but it seems like a good use for what is essentially scrap on my desk.
I use an M9 as my phone and have my old M8 as a stand by. I use it for music and navigation. Now I plan on using it for a Mavic display too. I've been using it along with an Nvidia tablet with my P3 and they both work fine without any problems.

I have a HTC One M8, which my wife cast off a couple months ago when she got her iPhone 6. Its mint and just sitting on my shelf - .

The M8 is not compatible (never could get mine or my sons M8 to work) with the Phantom 3P I assume it will not work with the Mavic, I bought a Blacklisted Iphone 6-Plus for $100 makes a great dedicated screen as well IOS is the most stable platform.

Well I guess it's wait and see time then :)
At least I have the GoPro rig monitor now, which at the worse case scenario means that I dont have to swap iPhone back and forth when filming.

The M8 is not compatible (never could get mine or my sons M8 to work) with the Phantom 3P I assume it will not work with the Mavic, I bought a Blacklisted Iphone 6-Plus for $100 makes a great dedicated screen as well IOS is the most stable platform.

I used my HTC M8 phone and an Nvidia shield with my P3P. They both worked flawlessly. I'll be using them both with my MP some day soonish.

Reactions: Romi
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada